• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heims for Over Knuckle Steering

THRASHER

NAXJA Forum User
I am finishing up my full-width/leaf swap and need to take care of the steering. I am planning on full highsteer, but because of time and cash, I am going to go over knuckle untill I can get a highsteer setup. I found these heims on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4528271470&category=43974

I havent bought heims before, are there diff grades like there are in bolt, or will those work. I am going to use 1.25 x .281(not sure, have written somewhere) and tap the tube, not using any bungs. I am going to use misalignment bushings and drill my knuckles out for 5/8s grade 8 bolts...

Any opinions on the heims or the setup I am planning on using. If there is a better or cheaper place to get heims, how about a link...

I don't know...they look like ATV heims. Usually you get what you pay for. I wouldn't want to take chances esp with my steering. Unless you can afford something you know is good, QA1 or another quality name brand, I'd hold off. Check with Aaron at AppleHill 4x4, 570-546-6169, he deals in good stuff. I got some from him for my links.

THRASHER said:
I am finishing up my full-width/leaf swap and need to take care of the steering. I am planning on full highsteer, but because of time and cash, I am going to go over knuckle untill I can get a highsteer setup. I found these heims on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4528271470&category=43974

I havent bought heims before, are there diff grades like there are in bolt, or will those work. I am going to use 1.25 x .281(not sure, have written somewhere) and tap the tube, not using any bungs. I am going to use misalignment bushings and drill my knuckles out for 5/8s grade 8 bolts...

Any opinions on the heims or the setup I am planning on using. If there is a better or cheaper place to get heims, how about a link...

You can use 1.125" x .219 DOM and the inside is the right diameter to tap to 3/4x16.

you can buy good Heims for cheaper than that. Summitt, Jeg's and Rubicon Express, etc. all sell Heims and you can choose the size, quality etc. All things equal I'd rather pay more and get a good quality rod end. The cheaper ones just don't last as long. 3/4" seems to be the standard size for steering. I'm using that size with grade 8 bolts.

you can get QA1 3/4" XML's (top line for QA1 as far as I know) from campbell enterprises for a good price.
~$28 with jam nuts

www.campbellent.com

down at the bottom of the main page

they don't have an online shop or anything so you need to call or e-mail

When I bought from them last year they were $24 a piece. They had 3/4 shank 3/4 hole in stock, but they gave me 3/4 shank 5/8 hole for the same price, they just had to be drop shipped to me. Very good to deal with and a great price even at $28.

I'd recomment 5/8" bolt for steering, but sometime due to the stock tie-rod size on heavier duty front ends, 5/8 is too small of a bolt and 3/4 is easier to work with. Once you get high steer, use a 5/8 bolt.

_nicko_

I'll sell you those for $55. :D

Seriously they look pretty thin around the ball and $60 is over priced.

I have a bunch of QA1 rod ends and I'm not to impressed. They got sloppy pretty quick. I switched most of my stuff to FK's and they are tighter after a year than the QA1's were new.

http://www.fkrodends.com/

Most of my stuff is the HRSMX10T. Paid $35 locally for them a couple of years ago.

I have run the same FK ends as Lincoln for 2 yeras now.

Back