• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heim vs tre

RCP Phx said:
Specially with steering/suspension components,"anything that can move-will move",its just a bad idea.
I don't think you understand what he is saying. If I get it, it will look like Goat's, but instead of two seperate tabs welded on like goat's, he plans to use one piece that will be bent around the tierod and welded on, this will be at least as beef as Goat's. Then he plans to weld a piece of tube over the tierod on either side of this "tab" portion. Sound a little overbuilt, but it wont move unless welds break.

Edit: ok, already pointed out....

Last edited:
I should have weighed in earlier.....

3 years ago, I bought a bunch of parts from Tim Flowers for a cross-over steering setup. Threaded weld-in bungs, some DOM tubing and QA-1 rod ends. The rod ends on the draglink are high-misalignment jobs, the tie rod uses standards. I drilled out the taper in the knuckles and pitman arm to a 5/8" bore, the rod ends are 3/4" IIRC.

I'm utterly amazed at the lack of wear on these rod ends. It spent a year and a half as a daily driver in Chicago salt, and made a trip to Moab. I should get a set of spares, but I just haven't been able to justify it yet.

I'd cheerfully do this conversion again. Only issues are the interference with stock sway bar mounts and a little close to the diff cover.

guess if you still wanted to run TRE's there is a place that makes them from a stronger alloy steel, may even be heatreated(don't remember), something like Xtreme Joints or soemthing like that.

JnJ said:
I don't think you understand what he is saying. If I get it, it will look like Goat's, but instead of two seperate tabs welded on like goat's, he plans to use one piece that will be bent around the tierod and welded on, this will be at least as beef as Goat's. Then he plans to weld a piece of tube over the tierod on either side of this "tab" portion. Sound a little overbuilt, but it wont move unless welds break.

Edit: ok, already pointed out....

youre spot on though , yep over built for sure but i have a bad history so lol its the only way to go for me.

If you do go the heims route, I would go with some that are teflon lined, if you go the cheap route, your junk will start to squeek. Summit sells some fairly nice ones for around $20. Also, if you want to get some more travel out of the heims, you could get high misalignment spacers (that is what I did on the drag link side).

Back