• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater knob bulb? Rattling 4WD handle? Window switch how-to? Value tire?

For somebody that can't figure out how to operate a T60 Torx tool, or find wires inside a wire harness, bushings might in fact be a 5 hour nightmare.

I have not found a single write-up where someone can actually explain HOW to fix a broken wire inside that door hinge "boot".
well for starters, you could google "splice" unless thats also to hard for you too lol I really am trying to understand how you can not at all understand how to fix a broken wire??? didnt you learn anything in school? I know for a fact in science we had to twist wires together to make a connection, now to be really effective you can splice the wires back together but seriously its as easy as twisting the wires together and wrapping in electric tape

For somebody that can't figure out how to operate a T60 Torx tool, or find wires inside a wire harness, bushings might in fact be a 5 hour nightmare.

lmao hahaha this literally made me laugh out loud, I think I woke up my neighbors lol

Gotta learn the language before you can talk the talk. No one he would get useful info from would use the terms "heater bulb" or "4WD handle." He's just going to have to ice skate uphill for a bit. Reading more before asking question old questions again would be a boon.

Rattling 4WD handle linkage was secured with 2 zipties.
This is directly under the driver's seat.

1) One long ziptie lengthwise (black). Can't get 2 hands up in there, so I used a long needlenose to help make that black ziptie as tight as possible.
2) Then a 2nd one (blue) that loops around the rattling shaft to secure it to the first ziptie.

This seems to have done the trick.
No more rattle at idle!

wssead.jpg

So........you gonna buy the bushings orrrrr........

For somebody that can't figure out how to operate a T60 Torx tool, .

Do you think fabricating your own tools is what normal, everyday people do? Really? LOL, allow me to shed some light into your bubble. Have you ever given thought to why a high school dropout can go into trades like plumbing or mechanics make $200,000 pro rata in most parts of the country ($100/hr, sometimes unreported) Yes, anyone can use a Torx bit, but generally only professional tradesmen and hardcore gearheads own grinders, bench vices, dremels, welders, breaker bars, lifts, and torches. Most educated people do not even own a drill anymore.

That is why the OFA job is an intermediate to expert level job. The ONLY reason I was able to do it was b/c someone mailed me their home made bit. Otherwise, even the local super who manages a 15 building complex said the L-wrench can not be cut. Heck, I'll bet even many pro mechanics probably can't even do the OFA job. And if I could find one, I'd have paid $500 for this "stupid easy 15 min." job. So, if anyone here is making less than $150,000, you're in the wrong line of work. You're better off moving here, and doing this child's play for $300/hr since you already can ace the shop hours book time. The one mechanic I know has 30 used cars for sale at any given time that he flips on the side (That's might be liquid $300,000 of cash he's playing around with) He owns a home in the most exclusive part of the county and his kids go to to one of the wealthiest high schools in the state.

And the wiring harness? Yea, Like I said, the wires were 100% enclosed by the sleeve. There wires are not accessible unless you slice open the loom. That's a far cry from people saying "Just remove the boot, and you'll see the wires." Wrong. Not on a 1998 XJ. Take a look. You see any wires? No, you don't. In fact, that looks exactly like the grounding strap on the back of the block. Stuff like this is why working on XJ's is basically for professionals, and the casual do-it-yourselfer is much better sticking to stupid easy cars like BMW. Happy to clear that up for ya.
67iq0j.jpg

Gotta learn the language before you can talk the talk. No one he would get useful info from would use the terms "heater bulb" or "4WD handle." He's just going to have to ice skate uphill for a bit. Reading more before asking question old questions again would be a boon.

What is the correct term for the tiny bulb that goes behind the heater knob?
What is the correct term for the handle that shifts you into 4WD?

So........you gonna buy the bushings orrrrr........

Nope, the rattle is gone. Worked like a charm.
Got the $2 fix from another forum member here.

Last edited:
Do you think fabricating your own tools is what normal, everyday people do? Really? LOL, allow me to shed some light into your bubble. Have you ever given thought to why a high school dropout can go into trades like plumbing or mechanics make $200,000 pro rata in most parts of the country ($100/hr, sometimes unreported) Yes, anyone can use a Torx bit, but generally only professional tradesmen and hardcore gearheads own grinders, bench vices, dremels, welders, breaker bars, lifts, and torches. Most educated people do not even own a drill anymore.

That is why the OFA job is an intermediate to expert level job. The ONLY reason I was able to do it was b/c someone mailed me their home made bit. Otherwise, even the local super who manages a 500 apt complex said the L-wrench said it not be cut. That's why I'll bet even many pro mechanics probably can't even do the OFA job. And if I could find one, I'd have paid $500 for this "stupid easy 15 min." job. So, if anyone here is making less than $150,000, you're in the wrong line of work. You're better off doing this child's play for $300/hr since you already can ace the shop hours book time.

And the wiring harness? Yea, Like I said, the wires were 100% enclosed by the sleeve. There wires are not accessible unless you slice open the loom. That's a far cry from people saying "Just remove the boot, and you'll see the wires." Wrong. Not on a 1998 XJ. Take a look. You see any wires? No, you don't. In fact, that looks exactly like the grounding strap on the back of the block. Stuff like this is why working on XJ's is basically for professionals, and the casual do-it-yourselfer is much better sticking to stupid easy cars like BMW. Happy to clear that up for ya.
67iq0j.jpg

What is the correct term for the tiny bulb that goes behind the heater knob?
What is the correct term for the handle that shifts you into 4WD?

Nope, the rattle is gone. Worked like a charm.
Got the $2 fix from another forum member here.

Sooo much fail in this.......

Lighten up everyone, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

BimmerJeep/OnTheFence, let me give you some friendly tips:

- Don't whine.
- Don't piss off the people that can help you.
- Try everyday to learn something new.
- Use the resources available to you, to research intelligent and informed questions.
- Buy yourself a JEEP Factory Service Manual and a Factory Parts Catalog.
- Try following the wise advice given to new Marines: Improvise, Adapt, Overcome adversity.

I have freakish blue collar hand strength, a College Degree, and a Technical School degree. My tool box at work is about the size of your chest freezer. My garage tool box is bigger and contains and several sets of Torx tools. It sits next to my welder, grinder, and air compressor.

I have tried to assist you several times on different Cherokee forums and have simply given up in frustration.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
I find it ironic there can be replies to threads like these yet when I ask something I'm pretty much talking to myself until I figure it out on my own and post the info up for future reference. No love for this Asian. =(

...mechanics make $200,000 pro rata in most parts of the country ($100/hr, sometimes unreported) ... So, if anyone here is making less than $150,000, you're in the wrong line of work. You're better off moving here, and doing this child's play for $300/hr since you already can ace the shop hours book time.

Quick interjection:
While mechanics can earn a good living and shop owners can do even better, the average mechanic earns WAY less than you're thinking. The shop charges $100/ hr. The shop owner is LUCKY if he scrapes a %12 profit margin out of his business. The technician, the man with the wrenches (which he bought out of his paycheck and which are not cheap) made $35 per book hour at the very high end or ~$30 on an hourly basis. That's San Francisco area wages and a higher shop rate than most places charge (at least for Japanese cars or domestics. European cars are a whole other story)

That all being said - don't get all beligerant about how we're all looking down on you and this shit is all rocket science that ordinary folks can't get done. Auto work is like anything else. It takes an investment in education. Since for most of us this is a sideline thing, it comes with time. Anyone who tries to make you feel like you should already understand all of this stuff is full of shit.
Relax.
Have fun.
Try to be humble enough to be teachable.
Get your hands dirty.
Buy the tools you need to do the jobs you expect to do.
Relax some more.
etc.

I find it ironic there can be replies to threads like these yet when I ask something I'm pretty much talking to myself until I figure it out on my own and post the info up for future reference. No love for this Asian. =(

LOL, You too? I am Irish, we just don't get no respect, LOL!!!:laugh3:

Merry Chirstmas NAXJA!!!!

Respect? Dunno, but you have my favorite holiday bar none!!!

Just a funny old line I recall:

Rodney Dangerfield (born Jacob Cohen, November 22, 1921 – October 5, 2004) was an American comedian, and actor, known for the catchphrase

"I don't get no respect!,"

and his monologues on that theme. He is also remembered for his 1980s film roles, especially in Easy Money, Caddyshack, and Back To School.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlVDGmjz7eM :cheers:

Brimmer, you will love the video, check it out, LOL!!!

Last edited:
TRANSFER CASE LINKAGE KIT: 5014148AA @Morris 4x4

Back