• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headliner adhesive?

Hubbazoot

NAXJA Forum User
I'm attempting to replace my headliner and was wondering what people would recommend as far as adhesives. Dave recommended spraying on contact cement, but I don't have access to air tools to do that. I've heard the problem with the aerosol sprayers is that they don't last very long. Any other ideas?

Dupont 77 in the large spray can.

A stock headliner also has Velcro strips in spots.

Will the Dupont 77 hold it? I heard the spray adhesives weren't so good after heat exposure.

C'mon dingleberry....... You think he'd recommend it if it was shit? :twak:

Some spray adhesives are good, some aren't. If Tom's used that and he likes it, you can take it to the bank that it worked well.

I've used a heavy duty spray can adhesive from 3M before - can't recall specifically what it was called, but it worked well for me as well.

just dont go get walmart spray adhesive....that crap is well....form wal mart and doesnt hold for crap but i hear 3m and the dupont are great especially the 3m

3M Hi-Tack 76 Spray Adhesive. It's what the headliner company sells to install their product. I used it to replace the headliner on the MJ, no velcro in that thing, and difficult to get the backing board back in.

Fred

3M Hi-Tack 76 Spray Adhesive. It's what the headliner company sells to install their product.

Yup, that's the stuff I've used.

F46524~wn.jpg

Last edited:
That is the new school stuff. It works well. I guess I'm just old school. I've probably done 10 headliners with the stuff and as long as you don't skimp, it works well. The other thing is that you can get high while you use it. :wow:

That is the new school stuff. It works well. I guess I'm just old school. I've probably done 10 headliners with the stuff and as long as you don't skimp, it works well. The other thing is that you can get high while you use it. :wow:

LOL! How many of those 10 headliners were "re-do's" because of your CFC addiction........ :D

I'll never tell. Especially to a cop.:D

Actually I'm looking for a new backing for my current rig.

Alright cool, thanks for the advice guys. I do intend to be putting on new headliner. I have a 2ydx3yd roll sitting on my downstairs table... should be plenty to do headliner and visors (yaaay!!)

Alright cool, thanks for the advice guys. I do intend to be putting on new headliner. I have a 2ydx3yd roll sitting on my downstairs table... should be plenty to do headliner and visors (yaaay!!)

.......... It's pink chiffon fabric isn't it....... If it isn't, you know you thought about it at least......... :D

.......... It's pink chiffon fabric isn't it....... If it isn't, you know you thought about it at least......... :D

LOL, I knew I shoulda ordered some pink for him just to mess around. :doh:

As far as the spray adhesive, if that 3M 76 has worked for others, I'd go with that. We have had some bad luck with a couple other types of spray adhesive comming unstuck on a hot day.

Haven't tried the 3M, the stuff we had trouble with was another brand from one of our suppliers and the few times we tried it it didn't hold up. We just quit using it because we have a glue pot to spray contact cement and we've had no issues with that.

I'd go ahead with the 3M, follow the dirrections and don't be stingy with it.

Yep, use plenty of the adhesive, spray evenly, slowly.

Just be sure to give it time to tack up - if you spread the fabric over the glue and then run your hand over the material too firmly, you can cause the glue to come through the fabric. If it's tacked-up properly, it'll be too thick to come through the fabric.

Ya dig?

Just the board.

Bringing this back from the dead; how many (24 oz.) cans of adhesive does it take to do one headliner?

Back