• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headers..again..

Dr. Dyno said:
Thorley don't list a header for the early 4.0 XJ:

http://www.thorleyheaders.com/jeep_headers.html

The early 4.0 XJ Mopar Performance header carries part no. P4529530 and costs a cool $465. An alternative header #P4876918 costs an even cooler $621.

http://www.jeepparts.cc/catalog/?section=632

Clifford Performance have headers for the early 4.0. You can choose between single and dual outlet (pg06 .PDF ):

http://www.thepcshopper.com/cliffordperformance/catalog.htm

Too bad on the Thorleys - my set works great (they did mention something about minimum runs and all that though - wonder if they could still work something)

As far as the Mopar header :eek: OMG they've gotta have a Jeep logo on em for that price! (sounds like Nick has a better deal on those for certain!)

Maybe I should start bending some! HA!

Why are 4.0 headers allways so ridiculously overpriced? :rolleyes: I mean...headers for most other engines can be found for under $200...

Just picked up a replacement exhaust manifold from O'Reilly autoparts for less than $200. Stainless steel, thick, has a bellows on #1 and #6 cylinders that is supposed to prevent the normal cracking. This is for a '96 4.0 auto. Looks very similar to the OEM, except for the bellows. Dorman brand, same as what Midas and Car-X were going to sell me for $800 installed.

ZmOz said:
Why are 4.0 headers allways so ridiculously overpriced? :rolleyes: I mean...headers for most other engines can be found for under $200...

Probably because of economies of scale. Header manufacturers can sell the more popular headers at lower prices because of the larger quantities sold. The volume of Jeep headers sold is relatively low so manufacturers have to price them higher to keep up their profit margins, otherwise they'll stop making them.
Mopar Performance may have stopped making the early 4.0 header because demand was too low.

Cheropair said:
Just picked up a replacement exhaust manifold from O'Reilly autoparts for less than $200. Stainless steel, thick, has a bellows on #1 and #6 cylinders that is supposed to prevent the normal cracking. This is for a '96 4.0 auto. Looks very similar to the OEM, except for the bellows. Dorman brand, same as what Midas and Car-X were going to sell me for $800 installed.

Yeah - the Motormite p/n 674196 (same as the doorman part, though Dorman does suggest a higher selling price) is often found for like $185USD and has some nice re-design features (if you have an HO motor)
5013746_674-170kit.jpg

... But if you're not an HO, their replacement manifold (p/n 674170) does not have the same level of re-engineering, though it is made from thicker material (closer to $175USD)
5013690a_674-170kitLG.jpg

By looking at the shape and features of each, you can easily see what Dr.Dyno is getting at, not only did the head's exhaust port change in '91 (not that you can't use one for the other, but the sealing surface is substantially reduced with the HO manufold on the Renix head) , but the exit changed AND the EGR port was removed - so the "old" XJ header would fit only qty=3 year of production -- compare that to the headers I just bought for my GMC - BigBlockChevy Truck from like '68 - '87 all GM Trucks -- some economy of scale there.!

Back