• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header Swap Write Up

HeadCase said:
Hey 53guy - I'm just a bit south of you in da 'burg. Two Q's- where did you find the best price on your header (or is it a direct buy only?); and, can I tempt you with steaks and beers to bring your expertise south for assistance? I've got most of of the gear you mention in your (most excellent) write up in the garage - and also have pretty good access to a friend's completely equipped off-road shop (they do complete work from mild to wild). Even if I can't tempt you, if interested, let's think wheelin', (Crozet open weekend the next month or two?)

Yeah, I'd be more than willing to come down and help ya do it. I think the most important tool is the fuel disconnect tool as without it, you'll be trying to take appart your fuel lines for ever. What year is your xj? I got mine from Rocky Road Outfitters when it was the chrome header for it seemed like $360. Then becasue of the warranty, I paid about $100 more for the Ceramic one which I have on there now, so I'm not sure what the cost for the ceramic one would be. I bought it directly from Thorley though when I upgraded. I'd call them and ask their price, then ask for a list of dealers and take some time to price it. But yeah, I'd be happy to help you out. Are you in Fredericksburg or Petersburg?

Starscream918 said:
It really is. I just welded my cracked header today and I was expecting it to take much longer. I had everything done in about two hours (taking my time). If it cracks again, which I don't doubt it will, I'll replace it with something like this, but maybe something with less chrome. :cool:

Lol, thanks! The chrome looks nice but doesn't last long. I think it was about a year before the chrome one cracked. The ceramic is the way to go and yeah, it is a bit shiny too, but hey, you need to have some bling somewhere, right? Might as well hide it as best you can!

Hey, that's great. I'm in Fredericksburg. My XJ is a '95 w/ 120k, mild OME lift and 31's. I was thinking about pulling the manifold and welding it right now. Would it be a waste of time - should I go ahead and put the duckets aside for the header? I'm dealing with the whole Va inspection issue (exhaust leak, if noticed, is a fail). Fixing the NSS tomorrow, putting in dot approved lights, etc...

How far south in F-burg? I live off of rt 1, just south of rt 3. You can't be too far away, its not a big town. Umm, well, I'd say swap it out for something that wouldn't crack again, but that's just me. I've known people to have welded it successfully and those who haven't. It really comes down to your choice. There are tons of people out there who run headers and many more who don't, who live with exhaust leaks or who just weld theirs up. I put welding a stock exhaust about the same as making a dana 35 with trusses, lockers, and alloy shafts. In the end, its still a peice of crap, but again, that's just my opinion.

53guy said:
How far south in F-burg? I live off of rt 1, just south of rt 3. You can't be too far away, its not a big town. Umm, well, I'd say swap it out for something that wouldn't crack again, but that's just me. I've known people to have welded it successfully and those who haven't. It really comes down to your choice. There are tons of people out there who run headers and many more who don't, who live with exhaust leaks or who just weld theirs up. I put welding a stock exhaust about the same as making a dana 35 with trusses, lockers, and alloy shafts. In the end, its still a peice of crap, but again, that's just my opinion.
I agree - it is somewhat of a band-aid fix, but it's worth a shot. Repairing it took 2 hours and was free. Replacing it takes 2 hours and $300+. I say fix it and see if it breaks again. If it does, then you know you need a new one. If it doesn't, then you've saved yourself some moolah.

53guy said:

It seems as though we're nearly neighbors. I live off of Deacon Rd. right near VDOT - up near the Rappahannock Y and new WaWa. I was thinking since I could get a buddy to weld up the manifold, I'd give that a shot, and if it breaks again, replace it. Checked the Thorley website and nearly choked when I saw their price on the XJ header (Rocky Road is closed today). I know that folks have used Borla and Banks - what do folks think about those? Freds is a small town, I bet I've seen your XJ somewhere...

53guy said:
I think so. Much quieter, a bit peppier, runs better. I think any exhaust leak isn't good for your motor, but especially one that is forward of the first O2 sensor. It's fixed a few problems that I thought I had, especially valve noises, I could hear them through the old crack, but now, the motor is very quiet, so I'm hoping that they aren't messed up and I just can't hear it. Soo, yeah, I think it helps performace by a noticable amount.

Excellent. I just got a pacesetter the other day and its going in tomorrow, Lord willing. And despite popular belief, the pacesetter I have looks well constructed, (from an engineering standpoint). It has nice long tubes and seems as if somebody actually put some thought into it, unlike the stock manifold.

Thanks for your write up.

HeadCase said:
Just looked at your pix - do you ever park near the Quantico hanger?

Lol, yeah, sure do. I work at HMX, so I always park next to the hangar. What's your rig? I'm always looking for them at work. They seem to come and go, none are die hards up in Quantico. I've only seen a red XJ that frequents the base, but I'm not so sure its a military guy. I think he's a civ, but its got a roof rack, might be on 31's or 32's, and a rear tire carrier, runs on BFG AT's. There's a blue one running around that some chick drives with a FabTech 3 incher and 31's, but haven't seen that in forever.

HeadCase said:
It seems as though we're nearly neighbors. I live off of Deacon Rd. right near VDOT - up near the Rappahannock Y and new WaWa. I was thinking since I could get a buddy to weld up the manifold, I'd give that a shot, and if it breaks again, replace it. Checked the Thorley website and nearly choked when I saw their price on the XJ header (Rocky Road is closed today). I know that folks have used Borla and Banks - what do folks think about those? Freds is a small town, I bet I've seen your XJ somewhere...

Deacon rd is close enough I guess! Howdy neiborgh!

where do I get a fuel line disconnect tool? I didn't look at it yet, but I have one for a Ford. (5.0 stangs).

Thanks.

My APN header and bombproof mounts are in the mail.

you can pick one up for 5 bucks at any auto zone or advance or napa. its a pretty common tool. it'll look like a weird sort of two sided sissors with circles instead of points at the end. Kinda hard to describe so here ya go....something like this for cheap
OTC-6511.jpg

or something like this for a bit more...

OTC-4494.jpg

I prefer the one with multiple sizes on it as it can be used for fuel lines or ac lines. Pretty nifty, huh?

hey 53guy, just followed the write up last night with a brand new set of thorley's, went great. So much quieter and like you said deffintly more pep in it. still debating weather or not to do all new pipes the rest of the way back. Its also nice to see some more military on here. any how thanks for the advice.

No problem. I'm glad the write ups I do are turning into something helpful instead of just taking up bandwidth. Also, you can tell if they are ceramic by the number stamped on the header flange. If it looks like the one in my pictures, its ceramic.

I'm replacing my header at the moment. My Jeep runs on propane so it's taken a little longer than I expected to get the old header off as I have loads of extra wiring to the fuel injectors.

The original header has been on there 13-years without cracking (is that a record?). It may have lasted longer, but the left hand motor mount gave way. If you have stock motor mounts, it's a good idea to change them now before the new header is installed. Due to the age of my Jeep I'm going to replace the fuel injector O-rings as well.

Ted Young said:
How does this header compare to the pace setter in terms of performance?

It doesn't...I've run both.....but if you must compare, think of.......well, a mixed drink.....its better than just a soda, but still doesn't have the power as straight whisky or vodka does.

Back