• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header Install Difficulty?

hey who makes a header that will fit a 99? I've looked at both borla and gibson, and I didnt see one, closest i could get was 96.

Kris

verrive said:
Hey Guys,
This summer I was thinking I could install a header on my jeep. I was planning on going with either Borla or Banks. As I'm not made of money, I was thinking of installing it myself. I'm curious how difficult this install is. I know they are two completely different things but I installed my water pump this weekend, how would that compare in difficulty with it?

Thanks,
Kevin

I put a Banks on last weekend. I started around 10:00 and finished everything including cleaning up by 17:00. Its not difficult. Just time consuming. Make sure that you soak your bolts down ahead of time. I soaked mine over and over for a whole day. They came right out. 24ft/lbs Get one of those universal joint drives for your ratchet. Mine was on a 98 so you may want to do some serious PB Blasting.

guther66 said:
Another option to remove the broken bolt is to weld a beed on top and use vise grips to turn it. Twist it out while it's still hot. I've broken three sets of motor mount bolts until we found the true problem. On the second set we used the welding trick. Works like a charm. Just make sure you don't weld it to the block at the same time.

Why would you pull it out while its HOT?!

Doesnt metal expand when HOT?!

Wouldnt that be working against yourself?

Or am i wrong here ;)

Someone asked if the cracked manifold problem was ever fixed. No - not until the 2000s got the redesigned exhaust manifold. My 99 and my son's 98 both are cracked - soon I'll be removing and welding them.

Back