• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header help.

Motod6

NAXJA Forum User
OK Socal guys. Header cracked and time to replace.

Was going to going with an apn or other budget one because well I'm on a budget. Problem is most these sites say "Not Calinfornia legal" or "won't sell to California"

My current stock header doesn't have any C.A.R.B. markings on it yet it passed smog last time so I guess it's up to the testing shop.

I searched the the forums but couldn't find much up to date info. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

It's a 95. I'm also replacing motor mounts, Trans mounts, Full exhaust, hangers and grommets.

The smog guys seem to be getting more nit-picky lately. See Peter Ford's search for a new downpipe: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1132143

IOW, just because you have been passing smog with your existing equipment don't expect that to continue.

Your best bet is to get something that is clearly marked with a CARB EO tag.

The smog guys seem to be getting more nit-picky lately. See Peter Ford's search for a new downpipe: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1132143

IOW, just because you have been passing smog with your existing equipment don't expect that to continue.

Your best bet is to get something that is clearly marked with a CARB EO tag.

Yeah I saw that thread. Glad I have a 95 so I don't have that issue as well.

I don't have a problem getting a CARB legal header. I'm just not seeing anything in the sub $200 range. Any rec's?

I also have access to a used stock one but fear I'll need to replace it since it doesn't have a CARB tag.

My Mopar header (no longer in production) doesn't have a CARB marking on it, but it does have a stock number. When I go to the smog check place, I'm always prepared to cite the technician to the executive order approving it, which I keep handy on my iPhone. Only had to do that once. The point is, regardless of the marking, if you can satisfy the technician that your header is CARB approved you should be fine. Just be sure you buy one that's on the approved list.

My Mopar header (no longer in production) doesn't have a CARB marking on it, but it does have a stock number. When I go to the smog check place, I'm always prepared to cite the technician to the executive order approving it, which I keep handy on my iPhone. Only had to do that once. The point is, regardless of the marking, if you can satisfy the technician that your header is CARB approved you should be fine. Just be sure you buy one that's on the approved list.

Thanks. WOW I just went ARB C.A.R.B list. Only legal aftermarket JBA, Tholey, Gibson, pacesetter. Banks has one listed but does not come up on the Banks site. Well that just double that cost

Why not skip this stuff for now so you can afford the right header? Unless of course that stuff is totally trashed?

Yeah motor mounts are smoked, cat is clogged plus I already purchased the replacements. Might have to justify "emergency" master card. I'm mean with this perfect weather, jeep down and the Ktm down it is most definitely an emergency.

Yeah motor mounts are smoked, cat is clogged plus I already purchased the replacements. Might have to justify "emergency" master card. I'm mean with this perfect weather, jeep down and the Ktm down it is most definitely an emergency.
NEVER! Can't be without the jeep or ktm, that is unacceptable! My ktm is about due for a build, got about 8k miles of dirt use on it, and now it's not any faster than my friends 525. Darn race bikes....have to be rebuilt every decade. :roflmao:

Thanks. WOW I just went ARB C.A.R.B list. Only legal aftermarket JBA, Tholey, Gibson, pacesetter. Banks has one listed but does not come up on the Banks site. Well that just double that cost

No Borla?

According to Borla's own site this one is legal: https://www.borla.com/products/xj_cherokee_headers_part__17039.html

Do you have a link to where it is not shown on the CARB site?

It was legal a year ago. Be just my luck to have something go sideways between Borla and the state of Kalifailia and me be S.O.L.

Jeep parts, firearms, and motorcycle mapping/emission deleting. Cali is giving me more crap about my hobbies this month than the old lady.

Check Amazon prices as well. Amazon is not an approved Banks vendor, so banks will not honor their warranty if you buy from Amazon, however Amazon honors full manufacturer warranty for all auto parts and is frequently a lot faster to deal with that a manufacturer.

I have a Ceramic Coated Flowtech #92001-1FLT shorty header in stock.
Shoot me a pm or email if your still looking or interested.

Dorman stock replacement mani..

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

For now I picked up a used OEM. Also istalled BD motor mounts, and new trans mount, and exhaust hangers/groms. Hopefully it will help prolong the next crack.

Also, anyone know how much extensions throw off the torgue wrench? And which way lower or higher? I assumed low so I increase 1 ft/lb for every extension used

Back