• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head gasket replacement and number 11 head bolt questions

austinandtina

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I'm doing my headgasket and got my head back from the shop and put it on and torqued down to 115 due to having to reuse headbolts again :( any who I used rtv blue on all of the headbolts like the book said but my question is will that be enough for headbolt 11 which is the front right bolt that goes through the waterjacket. I don't have the thread lock and everyone is sold out.

Id recommend new head bolts with factory (100 lbs) torque specs.
You can get the bolts for around 30 bucks. ES71102 is the Felpro number.
The bolt holes in the block are blind so just use oil.
The front head bolt that goes into water, dab some silicone sealer on it.

Okay well I unfortunately am in need of my 4wd jeep ASAP and I need it to haul the family so I'm going to hope that my quick inspection of the bolts will suffice. The threads looked good still and I didn't see any narrow areas on the shaft.

The problem with reusing the head bolts is that they can break off in the block which for many means just buy new ones because dealing with a broken head bolt is not worth it. Some people use pipe sealant from the plumbing section. Others use Loctite 592 as specified in the factory manual. Still others who are unaware use nothing. My 01 XJ had nothing on that bolt when I pulled the head the spring and as far as I know it never suffered because of it. It is a very good idea to change the oil after doing this work, then once or twice more every couple of hundred miles to make sure any crud or coolant that got into the oil doesn't stay there long.

Totally agree with ya I have a case of oil....from my work (employee discount) and a case of filters ready to go. It got a little cold out there today but tomorrow is suppose to be almost 30 degrees here in Illinois so I will be finishing everything then.

If you never want to use your A/C system again then it doesn't really matter. If you ever want to use your A/C again, leaving it that way means you'll likely end up replacing every component in the A/C system.

Well I got everything back together today and started it up and it started getting pretty warm. Which leads me to believe either I have a faulty temp sensor or air in the lines specifically the heater core lines any other opinions?

Back