• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head Gasket replacement

hdis2002

NAXJA Forum User
Newby to the forum and Jeep XJ ownership. I recently acquired a 1995 Cherokee that had been sitting under a tree for the last year. Needless to say, it needs a little TLC(ok, a lot of TLC). I'm starting with the engine/drivetrain first. I figured I would tear the engine down and replace the head gasket among 200 other things. The replacement gasket I purchased is a Mahle brand. The interesting thing about it is it's two identical gaskets that are held together by two tiny rivets. I've never seen a head gasket like this before and am a bit concerned about how well it will seal. Gaskets I've replaced on other vehicles were one solid gasket. Anyone seen anything like this?

Steve

The MLS style gaskets are a common thing, nothing to worry about.

Yeah that's the new thing, all the newest engines I've worked on had them. Probably would work fine.. Personally, on a warmed over 1960s design like ours I would prefer the older style gasket. Seems to have more wiggle room for imperfections.

Back