• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Have you ever broke a set of D30 Alloys?

lets see tim has a super 30 kit with longfield joints and his breakage is as follows

2 or 3 sets of ring and pinions i believe
1 arb locker due to r&p
1 alloy usa x joint (pre longfield days)
1 superior stub shaft (completely sheared at the splines, wheel and brake rotor fell off as a result)

it can be done, once you build it its still a 30

Some of you must flog the sh*t out of your rigs. I haven't broken anything on either rig in several years, but most of it was lesson learned stuff. You get tired of field fixes, you learn to take it a little easier on the trail.

But hey, if you got the spare parts and the time, flog away. :patriot:

Some of you must flog the sh*t out of your rigs. I haven't broken anything on either rig in several years, but most of it was lesson learned stuff. You get tired of field fixes, you learn to take it a little easier on the trail.

I was thinking the same thing. I have wheeled the crap out of my D-30's on 35's and never have broken anything, I just decided to make one as tough as I could this last go around. I went Longfield Birfs, Yukon r&p, trussed/gusseted, RuffStuff cover all tied into the truss. Maybe it has something to do with terrain and traction but here in VA the rocks are slick and there is always dirt/mud around them that keeps them slick. I rarely get too much traction and if I start bouncing I back out and try another line. I'm easy on the throttle compared to the guys/gals I wheel with.

I was thinking the same thing. I have wheeled the crap out of my D-30's on 35's and never have broken anything, I just decided to make one as tough as I could this last go around. I went Longfield Birfs, Yukon r&p, trussed/gusseted, RuffStuff cover all tied into the truss. Maybe it has something to do with terrain and traction but here in VA the rocks are slick and there is always dirt/mud around them that keeps them slick. I rarely get too much traction and if I start bouncing I back out and try another line. I'm easy on the throttle compared to the guys/gals I wheel with.

My thoughts as well. There are times when I'll break out the skinny pedal, but I'd much rather hit it just hard enough to conquer it. Sounds like your D30 is similar to mine, less the truss. Which truss did you go with? I thought about building one, but it'd take a bit of time and I wasn't convinced it was really necessary. Is a truss really worth it? How much do they go for?

This is my truss
16is8iq.jpg

j8mzib.jpg

The rig I mentioned gets flogged, and the Dana 30 is the only thing in it that's let me down. When you are running 33's and a Dana 30 on the same trails as the guys in competition buggies on 40's with Dana 60's sh*t breaks.

On my other rigs, I'm a bit easier, and they all run stock Dana 30 shafts.

My thoughts as well. There are times when I'll break out the skinny pedal, but I'd much rather hit it just hard enough to conquer it. Sounds like your D30 is similar to mine, less the truss. Which truss did you go with? I thought about building one, but it'd take a bit of time and I wasn't convinced it was really necessary. Is a truss really worth it? How much do they go for?

I'm built a truss out of 2x6x3/16 rectangle tubing cut open at the end along the axle and it stretches between the UCA mount (which is also boxed in) and the housing. I made gussets at the "c"'s.

Back