• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard SHifting AX15 - reccom. lubricant.

!/4 in. deep socket and 9/16 in. open end got the bleeder open.

My slave had gas. :)

Now part of the hard shifting is gone.

Sadly, it seems like it's time for a full clutch job.., The clutch still spins even with the pedal fully depressed. There seems to be some grab, and the pedal clearance before engaging is still shy of great.

Auburn Boy said:
As I was inspecting for leaks, I found that bleed valve.

All the external lines are dry and dusty. The only leakage seems to be from around the bell housing and the front of the tranny. :(

Maybe I will bleed the system, since the reservoir was dry it might have let some air get to the slave/bearing ring..,

I've got my work cut out for me.

I'll try and get the RedLine MT 90.

You are only delaying the inevitable.

Sorry.

Rev

to bleed the clutch fill the master cylinder have a buddy pump and hold the clutch while you open and close the bleeder located on the driver side right where the line from the master into the slave get some brake clean hose everything down and wipe clean it will dry the brake fluid then you can find your leak.

I'm trying to figure out a somewhat similar problem.

My '87 Chief has about 3 inches of free/ dead space at the top of the pedal where it will just flop around.

Any ideas outside of bleeding the master?

otla said:

My '87 Chief has about 3 inches of free/ dead space at the top of the pedal where it will just flop around.

could be the slave is bad or leaking. check for fluid coming out of the bottom of the bellhousing.

bleeding the hydraulic lines are easy with partner. fill master with fluid, have someone push in clutch, open bleeder(the bleeder is on one of the lines on the outside of the bell housing coming from the internal slave), close bleeder, release clutch pedal, push in clutch pedal, open bleeder, close bleeder....

Auburn Boy said:
Hmmmm..,

Two folks I talked to said that GL-3 and GL-4 were discontinued.

Only Riebes has the RedLine, so I'll look and see if they carry the better formulation.

Merci beau coups.
dealership: they're $15 a quart or so, but they got the AX15 GL3 lube.

Replace the slave, if you plan on keeping it get a newer bell housing and convert to the external slave, new slave, new clutch and go from there. From then on a bad slave is a 20 minute job...

otla said:

My '89 has the same thing, it feels like play in the cable or something (absolutely weightless).

mattbred said:
My '89 has the same thing, it feels like play in the cable or something (absolutely weightless).

Identical by description!

I air bled the slave a bit and it seems to help with 1/3 of the play.
I have to wait til the neighbor gets home to completely bleed the system. I'm sure I have air in there somewhere.

I'm hoping the clutch lasts until spring at least. It's not bad now, but has gotten sloppy in the last month.

mattbred said:

there is no cable on a hydraulic clutch.

when the internal slave went on my 89, i had no clutch pedal(went to floor and barely came back up) and it was stuck in gear. i filled the master and pumped the clutch and the pedal went dead again. looked underneath and hydraulic(same as brake fluid) fluid was pouring out of the bottom of the bell housing. the slave went bad.

you either have a bad master or a bad internal slave. the slave will leak all over and the master may have bad internal seals so when it is pushed in the fluid is leaking past the seals.

89xj said:
there is no cable on a hydraulic clutch.

when the internal slave went on my 89, i had no clutch pedal(went to floor and barely came back up) and it was stuck in gear. i filled the master and pumped the clutch and the pedal went dead again. looked underneath and hydraulic(same as brake fluid) fluid was pouring out of the bottom of the bell housing. the slave went bad.

you either have a bad master or a bad internal slave. the slave will leak all over and the master may have bad internal seals so when it is pushed in the fluid is leaking past the seals.

There may be no cable as I just found out with a flashlight, but there are linkages and bushings which are completley worn on mine. Look above the clutch pedal with a flashlight and press in the clutch pedal - you'll probably see things like bushings bouncing around.

mattbred said:
There may be no cable as I just found out with a flashlight, but there are linkages and bushings which are completley worn on mine. Look above the clutch pedal with a flashlight and press in the clutch pedal - you'll probably see things like bushings bouncing around.

check to see if the tach welds at the top of the clutch pedal didnt break were it attaches to the linkage/rod at the top. this happened to mine about 10 years ago. there are only 2 tach welds holding the clutch pedal to the rod. i took out the rod and welded the pedal arm back on.

Back