• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 shifting hard

I think the switch from neutral to park was a liability issue. Ambulance chasers at Chrysler were probably worried about people getting run over with the vehicle sitting there running and in neutral.

No difference in dipstick reading so WTF.

LOL

I'm gonna check it a few more times, cause it's normally almost at the curl part of the dipstick when I check it in the operating temp or when cold, it's usually the same... except that time when I checked it right before I started the car (it was at the OK level).

When DEX 3 started to be hard to find here I went to a wholesaler to check on buying bulk (5 gallon cans). Heard from the wholesaler no problem, Mercedes specifies DEX 3 in many of their trucks and they keep it in stock. Mercedes specification MB 236.1 (MB 236.10 and MB 236.12).

Worth a call to a Mercedes truck repair garage and asking if they have DEX 3, or a wholesaler. Likely to be way cheaper than having it shipped by the quart.

Check your TV cable adjustment, most always the first place to start.

I don't know why but I haven't seen you post before...

The TV cable is adjusted. Besides, it shifts hard only sometimes, not always, so I guess the cable is not my problem...

I've heard this a few times, but the dipstick itself specifically states to check it in neutral. However, I've checked it in both and haven't noticed a difference.

The older jeeps say to check it in Park. I am told the newer ones say to check it in neutral. Not sure why they changed or what year. Not sure it even matters, but I think the pump is working in Neutral and not in park, but not 100% sure of that (it may be different for different transmissions).

Fascinating, I did not know that both high and low levels made it foam. Great short, condensed info there!!! I know from experience that many transmissions gauge-sticks are very hard to get accurate readings from. It is an art, and there is a need for patience to get the right readings. It must be parked on level ground too!!!!:eek:

I'm wondering if your transmission is a tad over-filled.

This is from the FSM:

EFFECTS OF INCORRECT FLUID LEVEL

A low fluid level allows the pump to take in air along with the fluid. Air in the fluid will cause fluid pressures to be low and develop slower than normal.

If the transmission is overfilled, the gears churn the fluid into foam. This aerates the fluid and causing the same conditions occurring with a low level. In either case, air bubbles cause fluid overheating, oxidation and varnish buildup which interferes with valve, clutch and servo operation. Foaming also causes fluid expansion which can result in fluid overflow from the transmission vent or fill tube. Fluid overflow can easily be mistaken for a leak if inspection is not careful.

Checking Transmission fluid level in an XJ is a PITA, Usually I just do a drain & fill, I drain it & just refill with 3.5qts and all is good.

Initially I thought I couldn't get a good fluid level reading because of this, but I remember checking the level in other 5 or 6 XJs when I was looking for one to buy and the level was always between the add and full mark or below the "add".

How do you know that 3.5 qts will bring the fluid level to spec?

3.5 quarts is the Service Fill of an AW4
I've completed around 12 "Poor Man Flushes" on the AW4 over the years & 3.5 Quarts always brought the level to the proper spot on the dip stick.
2001 XJ AW4 4-speed Automatic Transmission Dexron IIE/III ATF 3.5 Quarts (Service Fill)
from http://www.kelleyswip.com/fluids.html

Last edited:
Felipe Tiago,

I'm just curious. Is this what your trans dipstick looks like?

Same part number for '97-'01.

1997_2001AW4Dipstick.jpg

Back