• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grrrrrr!!!! tailgaters!!!

When people ride your ass they are trying to tell you something. GET THE FU#! out of my mother fu*%!&#* WAY!!!! Have you ever been pushed sideways on the freeway at 70mph. ?? Not yet just keep playing games with people you will and they will just keep on going while you spin out into oncoming traffic.

Hey! relax man, people are just venting a little here. No need to get so uptight. Tailgaters are annoying, even in CA. We use this forum to get sh!t of our chest and try to relax too.

If you want to pass me, let me know. Just give me a quick flash, I'll answer (four-ways twice) and I'll move over when I can.

Ride my arse, and I'll be a prick. One of these days, I've got to make a spike that will fit in my 2" receiver - just for freeway trips.

I'm easy to get along with as long as you're civil, and I'm not a "left-lane bandit" anyhow. I've driven all over this rock - so I've got a pretty good idea what I'm doing. It's too bad that most of these people I'm saddled with don't - it would make my life so much easier.

Honestly, I think the first thing California could do to improve traffic flow would be to revoke, out of hand, the driver's license of anyone who doesn't speak, read, write, or take the damn test in English. Of course, by the time I get out of here, I'm sure the Chinese and Vietnamese will finally get their wish and have road signs put up in Mandarin, Cantonese, and Vietnamese.

Gawd.

5-90

All in good fun. This is my way of getting it off my chest too. There are a lot of people on the road who shouldn't be but what can you do? I like to travel in the slow lane at 65 myself. Off the freeway is a little harder to to keep a steady pace it seems there is always someone on a Sunday cruise in front me. I use the shoulder as a passing lane now.

On the export model XJ's there is a dash switch to turn on the rear fog lights. Which are red and just as bright and just below the brake lights.
What gets me about tailgaters is they are dangerous in many ways. They'll tailgate for awhile then pass on a bridge, just before a hill over the double line, in front of a school or any old place.
I was on the autobahn doing a 100-110 MPH, some guy three feet off of my rear. I was traveling down a slight hill, I saw the brake lights like a wave form a couple of hundred meters (in all lanes), cars starting to fishtail. Took a lane to the right, still wasn't slowing down fast enough, took another lane to the right, still not slowing fast enough, I finally got it slowed down in the emergency lane on the right. The guy that was tailgating me, wiped out three cars in front of where I used to be. And a couple of more wiped out behind him.
I was called into court as a witness. The guys (who was behind me) lawyer tried to argue in court, that it was my fault he destroyed four cars, because I moved out of his way. If I would have stayed where I was, he would have just had to pay for my car (and his) and not the other three (and his). I guess there is some kind of lawyer logic to the argument :wstupid: I sure didn't think it prudent to sacrifice myself.

Last edited:
I had some guy in a CRV tailgating me in CA, so I flashed the brake lights while putting my foot to the gas, didn't want to actually slow down. He slams on his brakes, comes racing back up, passes me in the center lane (just to my right, I was in left lane doing 85...) swerves at me, I dodge to the left and just as I'm coming back into my lane fully, he swerves over again, this time making contact with my front passenger side flare. Put me into the dirt (remember, I'm doing 85) and when I came back on and followed him at the next exit, he flags down a cop and claims I passed him in the shoulder and hit him!! We had a witness call in and back up our side yet the cop looks at me with my wife and our beautiful 4 month old (at the time) daughter and claims its my word against the other guy's. No evidence or proof that I'm correct. Hello! I had my wife and our infant child in the vehicle with me, on the way to visit my in-laws (who I love and get along with great). If this guy hadn't found a cop he probably would still be laid out in that parking lot, a year later. I was ready to kill this guy, no one endangers my family... :mad:

Fairly easy on a bike. Counter steer left and right a few times. They seem to feel you're going to wreck and back off. Worst comes to worst speed up, cut between other traffic and say good bye.

Sarge

creeperjeep said:
i dont think you have a right to complain about tailgaters or drivers in general until you drive in Kuwait

I can be doing 160-170kph in the left lane and still have some asscheek come up behind me flashing his highbeams wanting to pass me, if you dont get out of their way immediately they will ride you so close you cant see their bumper, or windshield for that matter.

If im in the centerlane doing 160-170kph these guys will pass me like im standing still.

Driving in this country is absolutly insane.

I was driving in Kuwait one day. HOLY SMOKES!! I was crusing at a pretty good speed in a suburban and passed a truck in the left lane. I was in the pass lane/ middle lane and this guy came out of nowhere and pased me on my left aginst oncoming traffic. I almoset had to run the guy to the right of me off the road.

INSANE

Its alot nicer driving in the states. NO comparison.

LBEXJ said:
Whenever I have someone who tailgates me, I just reduce my speed (like from 60 mph to 45 mph) so it is easier for them to pass. If they back off, I'll speed back up to the speed limit (or thereabout), but if they tailgate again, I just slow down again. It usually allows them to get around sooner.

There is some gratification in this method whenever they are delayed from passing due to oncoming traffic. :laugh3: They usually get very frustrated because they obviously are in a "big toot" to get where they are going. It keeps the situation safer, and reduces the potential stress for me.

I too, do not solicit slamming on the brakes or creating any other hazard on the road.

Les

X2 But its so hard when you want to nail some of these idiots.

I cue up at a freeway on-ramp every morning only to watch all these a-holes cut in line in front of the people who are trying to be civil and wait in line. If people behaved that way in the grocery store there would be bloodshed. Somehow behind the protective seal of glass metal and plastic people feel that they can do whatever they want. Well actually they can do whatever they want. Its very hard not to personalize it.

5-90 said:
Ride my arse, and I'll be a prick. One of these days, I've got to make a spike that will fit in my 2" receiver - just for freeway trips.

5-90

I put my hitch on upside down for nearly the same reason, if I get hit hard enough to bend the unibody, the upsidedown ball is going to do alot of damage when trying to separate the two vehicles, plus acts imparts a little mark on the bumper of somebody who gets a little too close at low speeds too :wave:

I've heard, but haven't substantiated it yet...... that it's illegal in IL to have a towbar w/ ball in the receiver without a trailer hooked up.

Yeah, I know.......not illegal until you get caught.

But if you carry it upside, that does show intent. Something to consider.

scoobyxj said:
and let me guess you got sighted too.

I nor him got a ticket? Sounds weird huh? The insurance company called yesterday and said my truck was totalled and I had to junk it. I never even claimed it? Now I am fighting to keep my truck that has been repaired for $60 and I am still driving daily! Good times.

ChiXJeff said:
I've heard, but haven't substantiated it yet...... that it's illegal in IL to have a towbar w/ ball in the receiver without a trailer hooked up.

Yeah, I know.......not illegal until you get caught.

But if you carry it upside, that does show intent. Something to consider.

I've heard if somebody get hurt walking into it it's the vehicle owners fault, but nothing about that. Why somebody not looking where they're going would be my fault I don't know.

IH8RDS said:
I was driving in Kuwait one day. HOLY SMOKES!! I was crusing at a pretty good speed in a suburban and passed a truck in the left lane. I was in the pass lane/ middle lane and this guy came out of nowhere and pased me on my left aginst oncoming traffic. I almoset had to run the guy to the right of me off the road.

INSANE

Its alot nicer driving in the states. NO comparison.

yeah no shit, hajies are crazies on the road,, kill or be killed...

this is why we have 50's mounted in the turret...

when we invaded Iraq our team was moving down this road one nite up in the north country in the middle of bum fuck nowhere, when the tail gunner on the convoy informed us we had a vehicle rapidly approaching from our rear with no lights on, it was dark and we where under night vision (practicing good light control), so he(the vehicle) really had no way of seeing us, unless he had waited for us to pass him on the road, anyway he got to about 100 meters or so behind us and started "tracking" us, PSG ordersed small arms warning shots, this failed to deter them, so they got a couple 50 cal rounds thru the engine block...

Maier

ok so i am padding the post count..hehehehe
not necesarily tail-gating but how about stupid people in general. at 1230 today the tones rolled for a fire, so like normal i hopped in the heep fired her and the lights and siren up, checked to make sure my overhead and dash lights, and strobes where working and took off, i live fifteen feet from the only side street in town that has the right of way and it happens to lead right to the station, its down hill from my place so it tends to be rather quick..anyway i am coding and i see this girl in a civic pull up to a stop sign on my left as i am rolling up to the station, last intersection that i need to cross, she looked right at me, we made obvious eye contact and then she pulled out, and almost got hit ..i ended up swerving to the right towards the fire hall and jumping the curb and then the berm to end up landing in the lower dept lot...luckily it was only at like 35 mph and i was able to hit the curb on an angle on the opposing corner, instead of head on...

.some times i wish i knew what people are thinking or what they see when they drive...apparehently this chick needs to get her eyes checked....

gvashon said:
When people ride your ass they are trying to tell you something. GET THE FU#! out of my mother fu*%!&#* WAY!!!! Have you ever been pushed sideways on the freeway at 70mph. ?? Not yet just keep playing games with people you will and they will just keep on going while you spin out into oncoming traffic.
Not sure if you are directing your post at me or not (was posted just after mine), but I do not "play games" out on the road. I simply slow down and let the asshat around me at their first opportunity. I would do the same for you.

I drive somewhat within the posted speed limit. It's very frustrating when someone tailgates you like they have more right to the road than anyone else. Obviously, your one of those people by the tone of your post.

Les

LBEXJ said:
Not sure if you are directing your post at me or not (was posted just after mine), but I do not "play games" out on the road. I simply slow down and let the asshat around me at their first opportunity. I would do the same for you.

I drive somewhat within the posted speed limit. It's very frustrating when someone tailgates you like they have more right to the road than anyone else. Obviously, your one of those people by the tone of your post.

Les
I usually drive 5-10 over and so when I get a tailgater, I coast back down to the speed limit. If they stay on my tail I continue to about 5 below. I do have the ability to squirt people, but I tend to reserve it for "special" situations, ie the Mercedes that cut my friend off in a construction zone. He had a brand new $100k AMG S55, so I knew he wouldn't try anything stupid...but yeah, people who think they have the riht to do as they feel need to be suspended from any form of motorized transport, minus the bus. There's one guy in a Cavalier that lives nearby who seems to have a serious problem with everyone else on the road. We were crossing over to the road we live on and it cuts down to one lane from 2 immediately after crossing the intersection. He's behind me. What's he do but jump over at the soonest possibility and pull alongside and try to re-merge. I guess he thought I'd slow down and let him in since he was now next to me? Nope, I just kept going and he stayed right there then finally, 50 feet after his lane was gone and he is now on the shoulder, he guns it, takes off and turns 25 feet further down to get into his complex...he made it there a full 15 seconds ahead of me, and had to wait for the gate anyways. Saw him again a week and a half later. This time I was driving the wife's Focus with her and the baby. Instead of using the shoulder he instead climbs right up our tailpipe. I coasted down a few mph to 5 below the speed limit. He backed off then when I resumed normal speed, he climbed right back up on us. and turned 5 seconds later. Again. Let this be a warning to anyone who lives in Tucson and might find themselves in the vicinity of Grant and Silverbell, watch out for a silver last gen 4 door Cavalier. He's an idiot.

BlackSport96 ... isn't it amazing how some risk their's and other's lives just to save themselves a few seconds of time out on the road? Kinda makes you wonder about the thought process involved, if any, of the individual. Your example is an individual who has no regard for the safety of their own family when they are behind the wheel, let alone others. What a real "prize".

People have often commented about the sport of wheelin' being dangerous. My response has always been that it's not nearly as dangerous as the risks involved in everyday driving. You never know about the individual approaching you at 60 mph. Are they drunk, high, talking on a cell phone and not paying attention? They may just be pissed off and just do not care. Each time you meet someone out on the road, you are just a couple of feet from death. Actually, wheelin' is much safer.

Les

PS: This thread is about irresponsible, dangerous individuals that are willing to risk your life, and other's lives, approaching from behind. All just to save themselves a few seconds of time ... a few seconds for a lifetime. Gotta wonder ...

The one that makes my blood boil are those individuals who whip out of traffic into the "Right Turn Only Lane" and then forcefully use it as a left merge lane once they get approach the right turn. They NEVER stop to see that they might be causing someone to slam on their brakes to avoid an accident which is usually the case.

Back