• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding....ugh

beatassXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

I currently am the proud owner of a 1996 cherokee sport. It always makes its usual grunts and groans but about 3 days ago a new, more troubling sound emerged. i know noises are hard to diagnose through a comp but any hints are appreciated. It is the very similar to the sound of (close your eyes), a finger entering a small electric handheld fan (open eyes). it seems to be coming from the middle to rear of the truck, and only comes when under throttle AND turning. This leads me to bleve it would be a r&p or something because a u-joint wouldn't make it only when turning, right? Im lost because its very intermittent.

The jeep recently received a 2.5'' catback (if that matters) is lifted ~3.5'' has a 1'' t-case drop, aw4/231, and still unfortunately has THE d35 rearend...Any ideas?

Check all of your u-joints. The sound can actually travel along the drive line and show up elsewhere. Also check the unit bearings because that's what they sound like just before they go :explosion

If it was u-joints wouldnt it make the noise under all throttle conditions not just turning? and if it was unit bearings why would it only happen under throttle, seeing as im not in 4wd when it happens and no power is going to the front? Sorry for all the questions im just stumped.

When the CV joint went bad in my rear driveshaft, it made that exact sound you are talking about, and only under load. The noise kind of transmitted and sounded like it could have been coming from the rear diff or the transfer case. Start trouble shooting by removing one driveshaft at a time and drive with only one in.

Since it also comes under turning, maybe check the front axle u-joints and unit bearings.

Might not be a bad idea to check out how that exhaust fits as well. Under loads it may be flexing and rubbing against something else, may sound stupid but I would start there before tearing up any of your driveline

If it was u-joints wouldnt it make the noise under all throttle conditions not just turning? and if it was unit bearings why would it only happen under throttle, seeing as im not in 4wd when it happens and no power is going to the front? Sorry for all the questions im just stumped.

You've got ujoints in the front axle too! Also check your motor and transmission mounts for free play. They might let stuff move enough to let something rub.

Back