• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding sound when starting engine

FIXED! Thanks to all the advice and comments I got here I was able to fix my car! As it turns out, both my battery and my solenoid were bad. My battery was holding a 12v charge, but only for an hour or so. When it failed the load test, I knew I had to replace it.

The grinding noise that I heard turned out to be the solenoid click click clicking and trying to pass a charge to the starter. You don't usually hear this noise though because the engine starting is much louder. Anyway, the solenoid connection wires were pretty worn through from grease, heat, and a lack of insulation from the PO installing it. I could have just replaced the wires, but the solenoid was so cheap that I decided to replace the whole thing. My car fires up perfectly now! Thanks for all the help NAXJA members. Hopefully, I'll be able to return the favor sometime in the near future.

Back