• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grenaded the Diff....

Thanks guys, the Jeep fund is tapped out with this repair. Its the DD so time off the road looking for a new axel just wasn't going to happen. I think the XJ may be retired soon to a role as Surf-Fishing Mobile and then I'll maybe have the opportunity and $$$ to tear it down, do gears a locker and a new axel.

Are you saying you broke yourself fixing the D35 again when you had people on here begging you to take their much more better axles for the price of gas to go get it?

Are you saying you broke yourself fixing the D35 again when you had people on here begging you to take their much more better axles for the price of gas to go get it?
I'm pretty sure he said that, yeah. Sounds really bad, but from what I understand the mechanic did the work before he could get a word in edgewise. I would personally not be ok with paying for that kind of thing, last time I checked usually a quote is involved...

But hey, that's just me.

I'm pretty sure he said that, yeah. Sounds really bad, but from what I understand the mechanic did the work before he could get a word in edgewise. I would personally not be ok with paying for that kind of thing, last time I checked usually a quote is involved...

But hey, that's just me.

I left it in the driveway with a note that said, "please take a look and let me know. Thanks, Alex" I got a phone call the next day telling me it was all done...I was like, "WTF"...but the guy is my neighbor and family friend, so I sucked it up...I wasn't going to get into work with a snow storm on the way, and the temperature being 20 or worse. I was lucky and stupid to drive it as far as I got it in that state, it wasn't going to make it home, and he wasn't going to take up room with it while I started the search for an axel with no vehicle to transport it with.

Correct.
By u-joints I assumed that he was talking about the front axle shaft joints. If he has blown through three Spicer 1310 joints in ~48K miles he sure as heck has something wrong with his setup (or like beating rocks with the yoke on his differential).

The joint in the box has the same clips that would be used on a driveshaft joint, not an axleshaft joint....

I would have regeard it now if the guy had actually called me before he did $1600 worth of work...

I left it in the driveway with a note that said, "please take a look and let me know. Thanks, Alex" I got a phone call the next day telling me it was all done...I was like, "WTF"...but the guy is my neighbor and family friend, so I sucked it up...

Family friend or not, you got hosed.
After reading this whole thread, it sounds like you've got better friends on this forum than you do at home.
I do alot of work for friends on their vehicles to help them out.
Never never never would I ever do more than $100 worth of work without talking to them first.
Sorry for the rant, but there is no way for that type of repair to total $1600 (even if you got a new driveshaft).
Take this as a learning experience and find a new "friend" to do work for you.

Last edited:
u paid more on that dana 35 then I did for purchasing all 3 of my jeeps together. If I were you I would not bring it back to ur "friend" again. Just politely say " Don't worry, I'll fix it." Sorry to hear but if you still want this 8.25 for free it's in Worcester, MA. Fix the pinion when you have money and then after u swap sell him that 35 for $1600 :p

.....I'd make him back up his work with a warranty...

Back