• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grenaded the Diff....

...OR a 18v dewalt sawzall. 2 or 3 batteries just in case!
i didnt mean to be 'unhelpfull' in my posts, but it sounded like you wanted to fix the d35... and thats just a bad idea!

i also know nothing about new york

OR several extension cords!

Those bi-metal blades just love cutting through rusty junkers haha.

i didnt mean to be 'unhelpfull' in my posts, but it sounded like you wanted to fix the d35... and thats just a bad idea!

I know, it just kills me fixing this stupid thing, but there is nothing easy for me to really do about it...every time I check in here I get the D35 lecture, I know, I get it, but I can't get a replacement within 100 miles.

Yeah, my 19.2v Craftsman with two charged batteries does pretty OK. I got through everything except the track bar on that d30 in 15min - sawed control arms, shock absorbers, swaybar links, popped the straps off the U-joint, then spent another 45 minutes screwing around with the track bar. Gotta love showing up at the office completely covered in grease from the elbows down :gee: no one even cared, they expect it these days.

I know, it just kills me fixing this stupid thing, but there is nothing easy for me to really do about it...every time I check in here I get the D35 lecture, I know, I get it, but I can't get a replacement within 100 miles.

are you running stock gearing with the 33" tires? that doesnt help matter much. tall gearing with big tires puts all the stress/force on the ring and pinion. low gearing puts the stress on the axle shafts.

are you running stock gearing with the 33" tires? that doesnt help matter much. tall gearing with big tires puts all the stress/force on the ring and pinion. low gearing puts the stress on the axle shafts.

If you look at the pictures, he destroyed the carrier.

100 miles, thats an hour and a half drive... well worth the peace of mind.

fixing the d35 is INSANE, you admit to have broken 2 in 50k miles!
INSANITY, DONT DO IT!

Everyone else already mentioned the D35 so I won't harp on you there.
Yet, your three u-joint failures might be solved if you used better joints. I see a 297 in that box. Get some 760s.

Where do you see them? 760's are front axle shaft joints and will not interchange w/ 1310's used on the driveshafts!

Where do you see them? 760's are front axle shaft joints and will not interchange w/ 1310's used on the driveshafts!
Correct.
By u-joints I assumed that he was talking about the front axle shaft joints. If he has blown through three Spicer 1310 joints in ~48K miles he sure as heck has something wrong with his setup (or like beating rocks with the yoke on his differential).

I would have regeard it now if the guy had actually called me before he did $1600 worth of work...

I would have regeard it now if the guy had actually called me before he did $1600 worth of work...
Yikes. Next time something like that happens, call me up. I'll drive down the next weekend and install a junkyarded 8.25 with stock gearing for half his prices. 1600 is straight up ridiculous IMO.

(offer to help procure one so you can install it still holds)

insanity- doing the same exact thing over and over expecting different results.

that is exactly what your doing.

it takes me 15 minutes to completely remove an 8.25 from a jeep if you come out here and pay for the axle ($60)i'll pull it it for you and install it in the parking lot of the jy.

-Dylan

If you look at the pictures, he destroyed the carrier.

correct, the carrier failure was most likely caused from deflection. the carrier deflected from the forces through the ring gear. the increased load or force is a result of being under geared for the tire size(33's).

I am still running D35 with stock 3.55 gears with 34" TSL, I hit the trails maybe 5 times now. last time was with it welded. Its still holding GREAT for what abuses i put it through.

I am not sure on what to say about your carrier breaking. If you can, get the 8.25 or some other popular axle swap to get rid of the problemic D35

I have a 8.25 29 spline that needs a pinion bearring. Come get it for freeeeeeee in Worcester. Worth the money in gas. Please don't fix or buy another 35. Take this one, fix it, call it done.

Wow, a helpful comment, THANKS!

The mechanic did the repair before consulting me. Unfortunately, in my area axels aren't available for less than $8-900 or believe me, I would have done it years ago.

As to the modifications. It did this to me in the STOCK setup at 60k miles, same situation. I have heard suggestions that it may be a "driving style" issue.

PM me if you want to find an 8.25 29 spline.... Im from LI too theyre all over the place.... probably even have one at my job that I could get you for $200

Thanks guys, the Jeep fund is tapped out with this repair. Its the DD so time off the road looking for a new axel just wasn't going to happen. I think the XJ may be retired soon to a role as Surf-Fishing Mobile and then I'll maybe have the opportunity and $$$ to tear it down, do gears a locker and a new axel.

Back