• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got an idea for custom tube doors & would like feedback!

TwoXJS

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, guys. Been trollin' around the forums for a while, but finally got something in my head I think would be worth posting. Sorry if it's the wrong section, but here goes....

Basically, my brother and I got to looking at tube doors for his Cherokee recently and he decided he'd rather build then buy them. After talking about what to do, I started to get some ideas on them. It'd be all four doors -and possibly even a lift-gate!

First, why not make it a "hybrid door", meaning a regular tube door for sunny days, but with removeable (weather sealed, of course) body panels along with a plexiglass or similar material windows that are also removable and sealed. Panels would be either aluminum or stainless steel, depending on what's better on weight and rust-resistance. They'd also have sound and heat blocking material on the insides so it doesn't get overly noisy and hot inside the cab.

We'd make them so they line up with the factory weather stripping along the door frame, use the factory hinges and latch mech's, and be easily removable if you decide to. Same with the lift-gate....Also, they'd have mounting tabs on them in different spacings for all the most popular speaker sizes, so no worries there.

I'm trying to sketch it out, but I suck at drawing, period :bawl: Let me know what you guys think, please! I feel like it could be something new and cool for XJ's, similar to some doors I've seen for Wranglers (that's not a dirty word here, is it?).

Well, sounds good but I think you are getting away from the point of having tube doors. Tube doors with skins, insulation and Windows... Might as well leave the regular door on.

What what you're proposing...

Might as well just keep the doors on.

edit: Since when did Advanced Fabrication and Engineering Section start allowing non-red letter members?

Hell it wouldn't let me update my buggy build since I dropped from red status for a while :rolleyes:

You could get the best of both world by building half doors from stock doors, then have a button fly or zip up clear vinyl window panel made for the opening.

The half doors would give you more visibility with the option of being able to carry something on board to keep the weather out that doesn't take up a lot of space.

Here in socal you do one or the other. We dont have to fight worry about the rain or snow as much, so you can pretty much leave home with either your tue doors, no doors, or full doors for the cold days.

Back