• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got a few issues .....

Faz95XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Apologies if this is a double post. I tried posting this a bit ago and it did not show up, so here I go again …..

Baseline Info:

95 XJ with the 4.0, manual, NP231 and D35

DPG Off-road Hybrid RE 5” lift kit with Advance Adapters SYE and Power-Drive drive shaft

Having multiple Issues and would appreciate any help the board can offer:

Issue #1 – RE 1660/RE 1665 Extreme Duty Adjustable Trackbar and Bracket

The bushings on both ends appear to have gone bad. You can see the axle move under the jeep when turning the wheel back and forth. Does RE have specific replacement bushings or will any bushing work. If any bushing will work, what are the specifics to look for (diameter, holes size, etc). I’m currently soaking the axle end connection with PB as I can’t get it to turn and was hoping to have the replacement bushings in hand before I get the TB off. Is there any issue with having the jeep on the ground when the bushings are replaced or do I need to lift up the jeep to take tension off the front end components?

Issue #2 – Rear drive shaft exploded.

As indicated above, I have the AA SYE and Power-Drive drive shaft. The portion of the DS that mates with the output yoke from the Xfer case busted the other day. I’m not sure what to call that part of the driveshaft, and I can’t seem to find any info about it on the web, no picture or a name. Anyone know what this part is called? A picture would be worth so much here, but I don’t have one handy. Yoke at the Xfer case seems undamaged.

Issue #3 – Electrical system is DEAD

Just before the DS exploded, I mean 10 minutes and maybe a ¼ mile, I stalled the jeep and when I went to restart, I got nothing. No clicks, no hums, no attempts to turn over, nada. Didn’t even have the hazard lights. I got a jump and was able to restart no problem. Then the DS exploded and I had to pull over and shut it down again. Went to restart and had nothing again. Got it home (after another jump and rear DS removal) and shut it off and tried to restart again and got nothing. Battery is showing 12 to 12.5 volts, but I can’t even get the dome light to come on…… any ideas?

Apologies if this is a double post. I tried posting this a bit ago and it did not show up, so here I go again …..

Baseline Info:

95 XJ with the 4.0, manual, NP231 and D35

DPG Off-road Hybrid RE 5” lift kit with Advance Adapters SYE and Power-Drive drive shaft

Having multiple Issues and would appreciate any help the board can offer:

Issue #1 – RE 1660/RE 1665 Extreme Duty Adjustable Trackbar and Bracket

The bushings on both ends appear to have gone bad. You can see the axle move under the jeep when turning the wheel back and forth. Does RE have specific replacement bushings or will any bushing work. If any bushing will work, what are the specifics to look for (diameter, holes size, etc). I’m currently soaking the axle end connection with PB as I can’t get it to turn and was hoping to have the replacement bushings in hand before I get the TB off. Is there any issue with having the jeep on the ground when the bushings are replaced or do I need to lift up the jeep to take tension off the front end components?

I would contact Serious Offroad in the vendor section for replacement bushings for your RE trac bar. They will hook you up with direct replacments!

Issue #2 – Rear drive shaft exploded.

As indicated above, I have the AA SYE and Power-Drive drive shaft. The portion of the DS that mates with the output yoke from the Xfer case busted the other day. I’m not sure what to call that part of the driveshaft, and I can’t seem to find any info about it on the web, no picture or a name. Anyone know what this part is called? A picture would be worth so much here, but I don’t have one handy. Yoke at the Xfer case seems undamaged.

The part your referring to is called a double cardan joint. It has 2 ujoint and a centering ball in it. If you GOOGLE "Double cardan joint rebuild" you should find a few step by step write ups to help you. Here is a link for everything you need to do it. http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p1079_jeep_cv_rebuild_kit_1310_series.html
Seems like a pretty good price too.
OR... Just go to the junk yard and pic up another front DS.

Issue #3 – Electrical system is DEAD

Just before the DS exploded, I mean 10 minutes and maybe a ¼ mile, I stalled the jeep and when I went to restart, I got nothing. No clicks, no hums, no attempts to turn over, nada. Didn’t even have the hazard lights. I got a jump and was able to restart no problem. Then the DS exploded and I had to pull over and shut it down again. Went to restart and had nothing again. Got it home (after another jump and rear DS removal) and shut it off and tried to restart again and got nothing. Battery is showing 12 to 12.5 volts, but I can’t even get the dome light to come on…… any ideas?

I would start with checking ALL the +/- connections. Battery, Alt, Starter, Block and firewall. I wouldn't suspect blown fuses being how it will start with a jump.
But i would def check the fuse block under hood too.

Oh and welcome to the forum man!!!
:cheers:

Last edited:
Issue #1 - Replacement bushings ordered. ETA unknown. Any recommendations for whether or not to lift the jeep during removal or can it just sit on the ground.

Issue #2 - DS parts ordered. ETA Friday.

Issue #3 - Resolved by loosening the cables on the battery and re-tightening. Then I wnet ahead and cleaned the cable ends and battery posts.

Your track bar can be replace while its on the ground.
When installing the track bar have someone turn the wheel to line up the bolt holes. It does not need to be running.

Driveshaft issue resolved.

Broke the bolt on the TB at the axle end, and had go order a new one. Got it and am ready to go.

I could not get the bolt out of the TB at the mounting bracket end. Anyone have any ideas for how to get it to loosen up? It seems to be seized inside the end of the TB, they both spin when I turn the bolt. I was hoping to take the TB completely off to work on the axle bushing for convenience. Any recommendations for how to get the old bushing out?

Thanks

Back