• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

good mud tire for winter???

First off BFG MT's are a great tire, I have run them in all kinds of snow and ice with very good results!! How you drive in those conditions is important! Right now I am giving MAXXIS (Mudders) a try and sofar I am very pleased with them!!

ColoradoRaptor said:
First off BFG MT's are a great tire, I have run them in all kinds of snow and ice with very good results!! How you drive in those conditions is important! Right now I am giving MAXXIS (Mudders) a try and sofar I am very pleased with them!!

+1 more that rocks BFG MTs in the snow and ice. I didn't get much ice time on them this last season but they kicked ass in the deep snow (pow or slush). Used them to drive to the top of the ski mountain where I work in bumper deep snow (5" and 33s). Had to pull forward and back to break trail in a couple of places but no worries.

The only snow stuck I got was from sliding into a ditch where the snow was mirror deep and I broke an axleshaft getting with it on the skinny pedal. The tires were still hooking up.

Have you tried running lower pressures in them and or getting them siped? In snow I run like 8-12 psi...

How well do those Maxxis Bighorn's balance? Take much weight?

my 31" Bighorns balanced with very little weight (less than 2oz per tire with factory alloy wheels), but I knocked them off on the trails and they started getting bad up front due to alignment issues. The rear don't have any weights (thanks to rocks), but were wearing perfectly. When I did my longarm and new tires, I threw in 8oz of BBs per tire so I won't have to worry about it.

We didn't get any snow worth mentioning last season, but the 06-07 winter I pulled my brothers car 15' up a 20* highway embankment, while my XJ was on ice. I'd say they grip pretty well. Due to siping, the other tires may do better, but I haven't run them. I do know that the Trxus MTs have possibly the weakest sidewalls of any offroad tire currently in production. Which would scare me if I broke through a sheet of ice on top of the snow.

JNickel101 said:
How well do those Maxxis Bighorn's balance? Take much weight?

JWTrapper runs 35" MAXXIS Bighorns and he balances them with airsoft w/ no problems! I think he uses the same 12oz that I use in zinc bb's.

Zinc bb's huh....?

Trxus MTs sidewall < BFG Sidewalls?

JNickel101 said:
Zinc bb's huh....?

I know that ILLXJ runs zinc BB's in his as well. He's never had any trouble with them. He broke one down not too long ago to find them all nice and shiny. I figured they'd be all rusty but, they were not.

never known anybody that actually blew a BFG MT sidewall. But I've seen 3 Trxus sidewalls sliced badly. I know one guy who went through 4 of them in a year and a half, wasn't doing anything crazy, either.

I've never known anyone personally either, I just keep hearing about it on here.....lots of people trash the sidewalls of BFGs

fubar XJ said:
From what I've heard and read, MT Baja Claws suck in everything except rocks.

Actually they do exceptionally well in the rocks and mud. They just hate snow. I have had rigs just like mine same lift, gear ratio, and all have some problems in mud that I walked through.

in a few more months BFG is comming out with the MT 2's... in more sizes...

from what little i know is that its better in every way then the Orig. MT's they have them only in large sizes right now and have only came out with them about 4-5 months ago so there has not be much driver feed back about snow and ice, but they have smaller lugs and are siped from the factory to perform better. thats at least what BFG says.... and they way that in september or some time that they are releasing the rest of the sizes...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Mud-Terrain+T%2FA+KM2

sizes and when they come available...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=548886&highlight=Mud-Terrain+T%2FA+KM2

Last edited:
k, i'm pretty much set on the trxus mt's. just a couple questions. what can i expect for performance compared to my bfg mt's(which i love in sand, and mud!!!) will the trxus's be as good in sand and mud? and what will their treadlife be like compared to the bfg mt's? thanks for all your help guys.

after reading some reviews of the trxus mt's and the bfg mt's and also already owning the bfg's i 'm thinking of just getting the bfg's sipped for ice and snow because i really love them offroad and don't want to chance it with a different tire.

Now IIRC I read an article a while back and IF your looking to run muds in the winter as a street snow tire it's not all that advisable for most of the designs... (again from what I remember of the article could be off here). The siping on an street tire or A/T that you lack in a M/T is what actually does the work on any ice or compacted snow the big lugs of an M/T with no small siping like to slide all over ice and comacted snow. The biger lugs, either on an agressive A/T or M/T would help only in comparabley new, deeper snow and not anything that has iced or been packed.

Of course if your not concerned for on stree performance and are just looking for a good winter wheeling tire, disregard.

Not to dissuade you from the BFGs, but I think you would be pretty happy with the Trxus tire also. The are pretty popular in Oregon and Washington. I was going to school and wheeling in Oregon and I choose the Intercos. If you search the PNW chapter here you will find nothing but positive comments about them. Overall I have been pleased with the tires, but the only thing I have to compare them to are the Dunlop Mud Rovers I had on my CJ. You asked about tire wear with the Intercos: I have only had mine for ~11k and they are definitely showing some wear, but it doesn't seem too bad at all.

Back