• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

good mud tire for winter???

IntrepidXJ said:
I've had good luck with my Maxxis Bighorns....they have seen a lot of snow and not given me any problems.

X3 on the Maxxis Big Horns. We had back to back 20"+ Blizzards 2 winters ago and my Jeep was about the only thing moving in Duluth MN. Mine are good on ice, in sleet, packed snow and everything else I have driven on. They are fairly inexpensive and they are fairly quiet as well.

I have had mine 2 years and they are wearing very well.

okay, so you guys have helped me narrow it down to the following:
Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radial
Interco TRXUS MT
Maxxis Bighorns
cooper discoverry stt

now out of these four could you rate each one, if you have any experience with them, based on the following:
Tread Wear
starting/stopping on ice/hard packed snowy pavement
mud bogging

thanks for your guidance:wave1:

the bighorn is pinned for studs so i'm assuming it will be the best in the winter for ice and whatnot but is it a really good mud tire? also i'm not familiar with studs, can the be put in for the winter then removed for summer?

most shops wont stud a tire after its been run.buy the tires in winter have em studded when you can legally run them and pull em out in the spring.

$10 per tire for studding

stt's are great in the mud/sand and rocks,treadwear is great, road noise is tolerable,and they are pretty good in the deep snow. I haven't run them on-road in winter conditions though

Last edited:
so once i have them studded and then removed in the spring they cannot be studded again the next winter??? if that is the case then i think i will just go with the trxus mt's or the mickey thompson mtz's because they have the most siping and that should result in a better tire on ice right? and they are both good in mud and have good treadwear right?

id go for trxus mts... from what ive heard the mtz was pretty much a failure in engineering. trxus will be hard to balance so when they're mounted put some airsoft BBs inside the tires so they will continually balance

looking at the tread pattern the trxus mt's look like they would be awsome on ice and snowy roads but all that siping could make them wear quickly? does anyone have experience with them? are they aggressive in the mud and good at cleaning themselves out?

k, well i think i've decided on the trxus mt's. from what i've read in other posts they are the best mud tire in snow/ice and they are good in mud as well as having good treadwear for a mt. aout how much airsoft bb's should go into each tire to balance them with a 35X12.5" tire??

Well just for some info I would not run the MT Claws in the snow. I drove my rig from SC to upstate NY for Christmas last year thinking that having the 4WD would be nice as an added measure plus to have alittle more cargo room then my wifes car. IT SUCKED!!!! As soon as we hit snow the jeep went into 4wd and still wanted to go all over. My jeep didnt leave 4WD only a couple times while we were up there. In deep snow they do alright if you dont stop. My brother and I were wheeling and he had to pull me out three times with ProComp Allterrains.

From what I've heard and read, MT Baja Claws suck in everything except rocks.

emr1101 said:
from what ive heard the mtz was pretty much a failure in engineering.
Source?

fubar XJ said:
From what I've heard and read, MT Baja Claws suck in everything except rocks.

Yup, the claws are pretty useless

I know they take a bit to balance but are a good tire for the price. I like my Firestone Destination MTs, they took almost nothing to balance, great in snow, decent for all around winter driving.

Back