• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GM 6.0 HD trucks

stay away from the 6.0 look for the 5.3 its a much better motor. my tow rig is a '02 gmc 2500 6.0 and besides all the stupid gm electrical problems it tows like crap. it's only happy around 4500-4700 rpm's any higher or any lower and its a gutless turd. and on average it gets 6.8 MPG, the best i have ever got out of that thing towing was 10. which sucks cause the 35' motorhome i use on occasion has gotten 14 towing the jeep.

why i say go for the 5.3 is this. me and a buddy raced up a canyon once just to see the difference, we had about the same weight(only a couple hundered pounds difference) he has the 5.3 and me the 6.0. he out ran me the whole way up the mountain, and he does it everytime we go anywhere, plus he gets alot better mpg's. as soon as i can this pile of truck is gone.

you'd be better off buying a 1500 dodge with the hemi and putting airbags on it. at least that motor can pull.

The only difference(other than power) between the 4.8/5.3/6.0 is cylinder bore. So, why would you downgrade? Hell, you can even swap in an LSx intake for some power gain.

Sounds like you really do have issues with your truck/6.0L engine, if you are only getting that kind of mileage.

^ seriously. I've heard nothing but great things about the 6.0. It's arguably the best bang for the buck engine swap out there and you can't beat the reliability of an ls motor. since your on a budget, i would try to snatch a decent 12 valve cummins ram just because your using it to tow.

I know a guy with an 04ish GMC 2500HD 6.0. He loves it, and has used it to tow horse trailers all over, going back east, etc.

my buddy had a 99 dodge with a cummins in it. fuel pump went out twice on the way home from work. construction we commute. both times it cost him around 3000 to fix it. dealer told him the whole system had to be replaced not just the pump. maybe they were getting in his pockets. i dont know. i do know i had to sit with him till the tow truck got there. also my buddys f350 dually had 2 fuel injectors go out. cost him 500 bucks for rebuilt ones. ever since then i kinda changed my mind about buying diesel. im not a tard that just the experience i have with them. i have never owned one myself but i have a lot of friends that own them and they have all told me go with gas engines. like i said my 6.0 hauled ass.

NEVER put rebuilt injectors in a Ford cost you more in the run. also the main cost of the injector repair is getting to them not the part. Most injector failures are caused by not changing your oil like you should or bad diesel

If you choose to go the 6.0L Chevy route make sure it has 4.10 gears. The earlier model's had 3.73's and didn't pull that good. That might explain my the one guy who posted above gets poor mileage with his.

I have an 02 GMC 6.0 with 10200 on it. 12" Cognito 38" tires 4:56 gears Airaid, Magnaflow and Cortex tunner since it 2006. Its pulled everything to evey race ( 1450 truck enclosed trailer and all gear in trailer) and I get 9 towing 13.1 not. Wont trade for anything!

I've never understood the sky high lift with big tires to tow something. Betcha you could get better mileage and pull better with some 33"ish tires and the accompanying small-nonexistent lift to clear them.

I've never understood the sky high lift with big tires to tow something. Betcha you could get better mileage and pull better with some 33"ish tires and the accompanying small-nonexistent lift to clear them.

Bingo. Lifted tow rigs are lastara

I can't believe people are recommending the 5.3 over the 6.0 lol. A friend of mine had a 5.3 in a 2002 1500 2wd, he had had it programmed, exhaust, and 4.10 gears. It ran great empty but it towed like crap, just not enough torque to tow without turning alot of RPM. The 6.0 is much better choice and you will never go back to a 1/2 after towing with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

having a lifted truck is nice but sometimes its just ridiculous. i just like a small lift with maybe a slighty larger tire than stock. maybe 33s or 35s. towing with a sky high truck just makes it that much more of a pain in the ass. but then again most of the guys who have the nice lifted trucks use them to pull their toys. i dont know of anyone with enough money to have a seperate truck to tow with. i guess its just a compromise.

I have a separate truck to tow my XJ with and I'm broke...;) Sure, it's a 73 Ford that I got, with camper, for $2000...

A 12" lift isn't going to improve your performance anywhere except deep mud. If you can only afford one truck to DD, play, and tow with, the smart compromise would be to not put a 12" lift and 38" tires on. :dunno:

. If you can only afford one truck to DD, play, and tow with, the smart compromise would be to not put a 12" lift and 38" tires on. :dunno:

^like^

i agree but i think a 12 inch lift is too high anyways.

whats wrong with a 73 ford. be proud to have that truck. old trucks are the shit.

Oh yeah, I'm lovin my truck. First full size, first V8, smog exempt, and aside from a couple good sized dents on the passenger side, in really good shape.

thanks for the info everyone, its helped me alot and im sure will help others, sadly im not gonna beable to get one at the moment as if i do jeep wont get finished so ill wait till it is but a 6.0 is at the top of my list with a dodge 5.7 both seem to be great trucks got alot of local wheelers who have em with great luck also

Oh yeah, I'm lovin my truck. First full size, first V8, smog exempt, and aside from a couple good sized dents on the passenger side, in really good shape.
Hopefully you wont have to use that Survival Kit in a Sardine can because of that truck (= Let me know how it works when/if you use it.

Most places it goes with the camper, I'll have the Jeep too, I'll just tow it out with the Jeep...;)

That survival thing is surprisingly packed full of a bunch of stuff...I might break into just for the hell of it see what all's in there before I need it. :D

Most places it goes with the camper, I'll have the Jeep too, I'll just tow it out with the Jeep...;)

That survival thing is surprisingly packed full of a bunch of stuff...I might break into just for the hell of it see what all's in there before I need it. :D
IT tells you what all is in it, more info at thinkgeek.com

Back