• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

genuine or superior gears

I'm not ;)

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html said:
The gear manufacturer also plays a bit part in the strength of the axle; some manufacturers build their junk in China, and quality apparently doesn't translate correctly. Here are a few thoughts on the matter:
  • You can keep costs down by installing a locker at the same time as the gears are changed. While the parts are more expensive, you pay for labor only once, and in many cases you won't have to buy a new open carrier that will be removed with the locker anyway.
  • You can regear one end at a time if your budget is tight. **HOWEVER** make sure that you remove the front driveshaft if you do this, to prevent severe damage to the drivetrain. (the availability of this option may vary by vehicle)
  • Don't use someone else's used gears unless your Jeep is a trail-only rig. I did, and learned the hard (and expensive) way that used gears are a pain to properly set up, and they are 99.99% guaranteed to be noisy.
  • Stay away from some of the companies offering lifetime warranties. Genuine Gear is one of these; they offer a no-questions-asked lifetime warranty on their gears, but I've talked to enough installers to keep me away from those. The quality is shady, the gears are known as "GenuWHINE" by many, and a lifetime warranty on broken gears doesn't include the damage that a broken gear can do inside the pumpkin or the labor costs to remove and replace... I've heard the gears recommended in roughly this order; your mileage may vary:
    • Spicer
    • Superior
    • Yukon
    • US gear then
    • Precision
    • Richmond
    • Sierra
    • Value Gear
    • Genuwhine

And of course EVERYTHING you read on the internet is true. :laugh:

ok, my turn... Since my name was thrown out. I'll speak from Experience with all of them. Not one or two and heard about the others. I have installed all of them. I've setup over 200 gearsets. obviously I've installed way more Yukon's than any other brand. first and formost I believe that 90% of failed gears can be atributed to the installer either doing a bad job or not catching something like a bent housing or bent pinion. And about 9% can be atributed to the vehicle owner not following the proper break in proceedure recomended to them by the installer. the other 1% is a poor quality gear. exept in the case of Genuine Gear. in my book... THEY SUCK BALLS!!! I give them the white line warranty. once they cross the white line onto the street the warranty is up. Spicer is a great gear. they setup clean and easy and I have used them on occasion. Superior is good but thats all i'm gonna say about that. Yukon is my favorite because of price and quality. US gear is a great gear, just expensive. precision seamed to not setup as nicely as I had hoped but ran fine. Richmond is good but damn expensive. Sierra, not sure if they are the same source as Yukon or not but haven't had any trouble installing them. Same for eliminator gears. Now for Value gear, those no longer exist. THey have dropped the "value" name and its just considered a standard OEM type gearset. Rumored to be reboxed Genuine gears but I think they were having trouble with quality so they stopped using Genuine gears.
I'm not going to get into where there all made because quiet frankly it really doesn't mean crap... Sorry but it doesn't. The biggest majority of gears are made in india. not indonesia or tawian or china or anything. so go back and reread your research.
Bottom line from me. I simply will not ever install another Genuine Gear again.

• Spicer
  • Superior
  • Yukon
  • US gear then
  • Precision
  • Richmond
  • Sierra
  • Value Gear
  • Genuwhine

Rawbrown said:
ok, my turn... Since my name was thrown out. I'll speak from Experience with all of them. Not one or two and heard about the others. I have installed all of them. I've setup over 200 gearsets. obviously I've installed way more Yukon's than any other brand. first and formost I believe that 90% of failed gears can be atributed to the installer either doing a bad job or not catching something like a bent housing or bent pinion. And about 9% can be atributed to the vehicle owner not following the proper break in proceedure recomended to them by the installer. the other 1% is a poor quality gear. exept in the case of Genuine Gear. in my book... THEY SUCK BALLS!!! I give them the white line warranty. once they cross the white line onto the street the warranty is up. Spicer is a great gear. they setup clean and easy and I have used them on occasion. Superior is good but thats all i'm gonna say about that. Yukon is my favorite because of price and quality. US gear is a great gear, just expensive. precision seamed to not setup as nicely as I had hoped but ran fine. Richmond is good but damn expensive. Sierra, not sure if they are the same source as Yukon or not but haven't had any trouble installing them. Same for eliminator gears. Now for Value gear, those no longer exist. THey have dropped the "value" name and its just considered a standard OEM type gearset. Rumored to be reboxed Genuine gears but I think they were having trouble with quality so they stopped using Genuine gears.
I'm not going to get into where there all made because quiet frankly it really doesn't mean crap... Sorry but it doesn't. The biggest majority of gears are made in india. not indonesia or tawian or china or anything. so go back and reread your research.
Bottom line from me. I simply will not ever install another Genuine Gear again.
  • Spicer
  • Superior
  • Yukon
  • US gear then
  • Precision
  • Richmond
  • Sierra
  • Value Gear
  • Genuwhine

Thanks for clearing the air. I guess i should talk to my vendor who fed me the above statements and i, like a fool took as gospel and regurgitated. All apologies to Oatmeal. In retrospect i guess the vendor was partially right. But he did get me to buy the Genuine's with his reasoning and considering he's a NAXJA (i think)vendor, did not expect him to spew crap. He never steered me wrong in the past. He gave me such a sweet deal. Now i understand why. lol
Rawbrown, is it the setup, material, are they weak, or all of the above that makes them so bad? Is my money wasted? Does anyone run these gears and like them? Anyone at all? lol Oh well, i bought 'em, i gotta live with 'em. Thanks.

boomhauer said:
.........All apologies to Oatmeal.
Hey, don't sweat it! You sound alot like me.......fight tooth and nail to prove your point (I hate being wrong! lol) It's all good-------Hans

from reading this forum i'd say steer away from yukon gears. the only threads i've seen where guys broke their ring and pinions were running yukons. if i were going to be regearing i'd probably either get spicer or superior.

XgeekstarX said:
from reading this forum i'd say steer away from yukon gears. the only threads i've seen where guys broke their ring and pinions were running yukons. if i were going to be regearing i'd probably either get spicer or superior.

How many people on this board are running Yukons?

Id guess that 75% of people that re-geared here are running Yukon Gears and of the 25 that arent, they just dont know what gears they are running, because they paid someone to buy and install them.

If a lot of people are running a certain product, you are going to hear about breakage...

What have you read about people having 'issues' with ARB lockers? A lot im sure - How many people are using them? A ton!

my friend owns 4x4 Customs where i live and he wont install anything but Yukon or Precision. when i asked if he would install the special from rustys (superior) he said no.

-Tim

Nope... very untrue. Alot of folks here are running Yukons. I know as well as many people here because I have sold and installed Yukons on many members rigs. including Marcus Ohms in Australia. Think I'd send a completly built D44 rear to down under without having 100% faith in the products that I put into the axle?
XgeekstarX said:

I'd like to think that the gears are make in taiwan or someplace. but thats only a guess. I've never had a good consitency of clean patterns on an install. many times I could only get a good pattern on one side or the other and not both at the same time. They have all made a little noise even with a perfect pattern. and a lifetime warranty doesn't mean much IMHO. consider the hundreds of dollars youll have to pay in labor just to have it redone. (once bitten, twice shy). and as pointed out earlier what if other parts are damaged? what if it locks up at the most in opportune time and busts a shaft? what if the broken gears jam and bend the carrier? (i've seen it).
Most shops only give you a small warranty. like 90 days or something. and many shops cut that down to 0 if you bring your own parts in for them to install. I just charge you more...:)
boomhauer said:
Thanks for clearing the air. I guess i should talk to my vendor who fed me the above statements and i, like a fool took as gospel and regurgitated. All apologies to Oatmeal. In retrospect i guess the vendor was partially right. But he did get me to buy the Genuine's with his reasoning and considering he's a NAXJA (i think)vendor, did not expect him to spew crap. He never steered me wrong in the past. He gave me such a sweet deal. Now i understand why. lol
Rawbrown, is it the setup, material, are they weak, or all of the above that makes them so bad? Is my money wasted? Does anyone run these gears and like them? Anyone at all? lol Oh well, i bought 'em, i gotta live with 'em. Thanks.

Rawbrown said:
I'd like to think that the gears are make in taiwan or someplace. but thats only a guess. I've never had a good consitency of clean patterns on an install. many times I could only get a good pattern on one side or the other and not both at the same time. They have all made a little noise even with a perfect pattern. and a lifetime warranty doesn't mean much IMHO. consider the hundreds of dollars youll have to pay in labor just to have it redone. (once bitten, twice shy). and as pointed out earlier what if other parts are damaged? what if it locks up at the most in opportune time and busts a shaft? what if the broken gears jam and bend the carrier? (i've seen it).
Most shops only give you a small warranty. like 90 days or something. and many shops cut that down to 0 if you bring your own parts in for them to install. I just charge you more...:)

WOOT WOOT! Called the vendor and he swapped me over from Genuine's to Yukons for only $40 more! wow that makes me very happy. Told ya he never let's me down!:sunshine:

The last set I set up were Precision Gear....patterned real nice...run quiet.
The set they replaced...well the drivetrain shop refused to tell me what brand they were :passgas: (they said "it don't matter, they are ALL made in Italy":confused1 ) .but they wore out...not broke, cracked, burned, impact fatigued....wore out...proper clean lube at all time...just cheap soft material.

WOOT WOOT? do you think he will just put the genuine gears in a YUKON box?
sam1.jpg

skyjackedxj96 said:
sam1.jpg

And those are...?
Don't companies mark their gears, wouldn't Yukon, motive or alloy have a stamp on them? Is that what your guy did to you, the box switcheroo?
You should change vendors.

Sorry but that looks a lot like installer error to me. the dead give away is how the carrier bearing is not fully pressed onto the housing indicating too much backlash or too tight backlash.
skyjackedxj96 said:
sam1.jpg

boomhauer said:
And those are...?
Don't companies mark their gears, wouldn't Yukon, motive or alloy have a stamp on them? Is that what your guy did to you, the box switcheroo?
You should change vendors.
"my guy"? i don't have a "guy". those are not my gears, lol its a pic from that website mentioned earlier. i run Precision in my 44 with a Detroit with no problems. You should not only change vendors yourself but stop posting up b.s.

skyjackedxj96 said:
"my guy"? i don't have a "guy". those are not my gears, lol its a pic from that website mentioned earlier. i run Precision in my 44 with a Detroit with no problems. You should not only change vendors yourself but stop posting up b.s.

I already apologized for the "mistake" of passing on info i thought was to be true. i didn't purposely make it up for sh!ts and giggles. I'm sure you know it all, and c'mon you have a guy.:kissyou:

Rawbrown said:
Sorry but that looks a lot like installer error to me. the dead give away is how the carrier bearing is not fully pressed onto the housing indicating too much backlash or too tight backlash.

What are you talking about. That's a perfect setup. Perfectly shitty.

Now how did a page on shitty vs. good gears end up at 4 pages. :rolleyes:

DurbElites said:
its going in a dana 30 with reverse cut and a chrysler 8.25 in the rear and i have a tight buget so i need durability and low price. like 500 buck for gears and master install kits.

Rusty's used to run an add for hp d30, and Chry 8.25 gears and install kits for $399. I believe they were superior. It was a couple years ago that I saw this, not sure if they still offer this. Might be worth checking on though.

Back