• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

genuine or superior gears

ExNews4XJ said:
Yea Before I found this site I bought Genuine's for my jeep. BIG MISTAKE!!! The rear broke a pinion tooth off with only 5 thousand miles on them and two trail runs. Lucky for me I know the 4 wheel parts manager and am getting store credit for both the front and rear gear sets. I will be using yukons in my new diffs. Oh and this was in a low pinion D44 with 33's and it broke on the street not a trail.

That's horrible... just hearing that I would never dare think about Genuine, even if they were $50.

P1010313.jpg

yukons break easy as well...........thats with less than 3k miles on them......

my precisions are holding up nicely tho.

ouch wredxj. my bro had some 4.88 yukons in his HP30.(open 35's) the ring rung itself off and took a couple ring teeth with it.. My precisioins 4.88's in the 44 have done very nicely for me.(and it was my 2nd gear install ever). ive gotten down on it hard on pavement. i have a detroit as well so im happy with them. my superiors up front have done the job as well.

Just to clear the air a bit....while it is a known issue that "some" gears are inferior, any gear can be broken.. in order for them to last a long time on the street, they have to be made of a hard brittle material. Dragracing gears are made of softer more ductile material so they don't break as easy...but they rapidly wear.

Anybody with traction, rpm, and a snap of the clutch can break anything...it's just a matter of how much pounding it will take before you get enough shock load to exceed the yield strenght.

I have used mostly geuine gears in the installs I have done probably 30-35 sets with only I complete failure. I was a buddy of mine with a 2.5 tj nv4500 d300 scout 44's with 5.89 gears he was doing front wheel drive donuts in the parking lot and stripped the teeth off of the pinion. I had one other set with a whine but not bad. That being said yukon, superior and spicer are all nicer gears and are easier to get a good pattern on. The genuine gear install kits do suck though they just don't give you enough shims luckily I save all the extras from previous installs.

Yukon, Superior, Genuine all come from the same Tiawanese plants. Precision Gear/Reider Racing have been known to get them as well from the same plants to support their in house label. If any gear whines, that is 100% a bad installer and has nothing to do with the gears. Gears no matter what label is on the box are only as good as the installer putting them in. The funny thing even about a Dana Gear is right on the box it says, " Made in Mexico". Just get a good price and a good installer and you're set. Hell a lifetime warranty is nothing to sneer at. If Genuine gears were such crap they'd be nuts to offer lifetime warranties, as they'd go broke. There is alot of stress that we inflict on our junk and at some point something's gonna give. Also the lower the gear, the thinner it becomes.

:canada:

boomhauer said:
Yukon, Superior, Genuine all come from the same Tiawanese plants. Precision Gear/Reider Racing have been known to get them as well from the same plants to support their in house label. If any gear whines, that is 100% a bad installer and has nothing to do with the gears. Gears no matter what label is on the box are only as good as the installer putting them in. The funny thing even about a Dana Gear is right on the box it says, " Made in Mexico". Just get a good price and a good installer and you're set. Hell a lifetime warranty is nothing to sneer at. If Genuine gears were such crap they'd be nuts to offer lifetime warranties, as they'd go broke. There is alot of stress that we inflict on our junk and at some point something's gonna give. Also the lower the gear, the thinner it becomes.

Harbour freight offers a lifetime warranty and that stuff is $hit. What's your point?

boomhauer said:

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. The Superior 5.29s in my Toyota 8" were manufactured in Europe, in Italy in fact and I did a search on the company and it turns out they are a major OEM supplier for the european auto industry. Do a little research before you start spouting "facts" BTW Genuines are made in India not Taiwan (which actually produces quality products) Also, Yukon dosen't actually produce gears (it's just labeling for marketing purposes) most of the time they're US Gear brand (probably the best out there) but, not always--------Hans

Oatmeal said:
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. The Superior 5.29s in my Toyota 8" were manufactured in Europe, in Italy in fact and I did a search on the company and it turns out they are a major OEM supplier for the european auto industry. Do a little research before you start spouting "facts" BTW Genuines are made in India not Taiwan (which actually produces quality products) Also, Yukon dosen't actually produce gears (it's just labeling for marketing purposes) most of the time they're US Gear brand (probably the best out there) but, not always--------Hans

Feeling cheesed cause your special Superiors aren't any better than the next guys? The gear steel forgings come from the USA and Europe. Along with most of the others. The gears come from only a few factories and the companies are constantly buying each others products and boxing them as their own. Do your own research and step away from the crack pipe.

100% Satisfaction Guarantee!

Products featured by Harbor Freight have passed rigorous inspection by our quality assurance team. Our 100% satisfaction guarantee is our solid commitment to you that if for any reason you are not satisfied with any item, simply return it for a fast, courteous, hassle-free refund!

:D

boomhauer said:
Feeling cheesed cause your special Superiors aren't any better than the next guys? The gear steel forgings come from the USA and Europe. Along with most of the others. The gears come from only a few factories and the companies are constantly buying each others products and boxing them as their own. Do your own research and step away from the crack pipe.
I have done some research, clown. Produce some facts to back up your claims and I'll gladly shut up--------Hans

Oatmeal said:
I have done some research, clown. Produce some facts to back up your claims and I'll gladly shut up--------Hans

x2

Maybe in Canada they only get the crappy stuff :laugh:

Oatmeal said:

Clown? Now Oatmeal, are we cross? Since you've done your research by all means, please enlighten me. Amusing though why you are so touchy about this. Now if Rawbrown said i was full of sh!t, then i'd second guess my source, but i'm sorry Cream of Wheat I don't care for your tone. Just take your ball and go home.:bawl:

cracker said:
x2

Maybe in Canada they only get the crappy stuff :laugh:
Now, now I wasn't trying to be mean. By the way, I read the post about your cat Joey (I just about cried) I have a 7 year old orange Tabby "Flash" and if anything ever happened to him I'd probably be a total wreck. I live up in Altadena and we too, have Coyotes (as well as owls and bears) and I won't let my cats outside (unless I'm there watching them the whole time). I know it's kind of selfish of me but, I don't think I could bear the loss of my "kids" I hope you guys decided to keep Frankie-------Hans

boomhauer said:
Clown? Now Oatmeal, are we cross? Since you've done your research by all means, please enlighten me. Amusing though why you are so touchy about this. Now if Rawbrown said i was full of sh!t, then i'd second guess my source, but i'm sorry Cream of Wheat I don't care for your tone. Just take your ball and go home.:bawl:
Dude, grow up and get over it. I didnt appreciate the crack pipe comment so, you started the crap slinging-------Hans

Oatmeal said:
Now, now I wasn't trying to be mean. By the way, I read the post about your cat Joey (I just about cried) I have a 7 year old orange Tabby "Flash" and if anything ever happened to him I'd probably be a total wreck. I live up in Altadena and we too, have Coyotes (as well as owls and bears) and I won't let my cats outside (unless I'm there watching them the whole time). I know it's kind of selfish of me but, I don't think I could bear the loss of my "kids" I hope you guys decided to keep Frankie-------Hans

Thanks

We only live about 5 minutes from each other.

Frankie is laying here on a slate slab trying to keep cool in this heat we're having. I think (up to the wife) he is here to stay for a while (thank God!). It sucks without Joey but I don't know how well he'd be doing in this heat right now (we don't have air conditioning) and that was why he was outside.

boomhauer said:
Cream of Wheat

You must know Altadena pretty well. :D

boomhauer said:

There was nothing wrong with his tone. All he asked was for proof which was totally NOT unreasonable. You offering Ryan Browns name is not proof. Technical data is always best. Not hearsay.

BTW I just IMed Ryan to see if he can shed some light on this.

Last edited:
Back