• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear whine

Brian Carpenter

NAXJA Forum User
So I got it running this weekend.. I am getting a bit of gear whine on acceleration. none if its coasting / slowing down. This is new. Ita been sitting with ghosts in the engine all winter, so nothing new has happened on the gears since I ran it last. Here's the query:
I live in VT obviously its cold here.. could ice (from the mud ingested last fall) form in the diff? could it cause gear whine? Whats the worst case?

I searched, but didn't find much on 35s less when no swap had occured..

I noticed that my front driveshaft U-joint was wearing at the transfer case, but this doesn't seem to fit the sound.

check the torque on the pinion nut/yoke, and shake it by hand as well and see if it moves (remove driveshaft first). push it side to side, pull it in an out. if it moves in any direction other than rotational, something's wrong there. A bearing could've gone bad.

Check the bearing cap bolt torques, you'll have to look at a webpage for those torque values.

Change gear oil if you haven't, especially if you think there could be contaminants in it. Look at the ring gear when you change it and look for anything abnormal...if it's really abnormal, you'll notice it without really knowing what you're doing.

Definitely change your u-joints if you think they've gone bad.

no, I did not respond just b/c the title is my name :)

_nicko_

Back