• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Swap on D30, Necessary in D35?

HttpWayne, you are taking this really well. I'll give you props for just sticking with this thread. Do us a favor and just go take a picture of your rear axle. We'll let you know what you have.

I'm positive it's the chrysler. I've seen plenty of pictures online. I just never actually looked at MY axle. I just assumed it was a dana 35. Yep. I assumed. It looks just like that picture that someone posted and the axle even has Chrysler symbol on it. I doubt a dana would... but I also thought I had a D35. We see how that went.

I6 4.0 auto. It's 3.55 gears. The front is too. I pulled it off another I6 with auto transmission. No towing package. I don't have a camera so there wont be any pictures tonight. About to drive back up to NC tonight. I was down in Florida visiting friends and grandparents.

Would I be best off just getting a whole new front axle WITH 4.10s? I still have to have it looked at to deduce the noise. And for the rear all I need to do is swap in a new ring and pinion to match the front correct?

you assumed that you had a d35
you assumed Rocky road outfitters was a knowledgeable reputable source
you assumed the axle shafts were the only weak part of the 35
Then you assumed the "4340" 27spline shafts would be stronger..
And you assumed that someone HERE has been dumb enough to buy those shafts
then you assumed that actually breaking the 35 was much rarer then what the 150k posts here say..

essentially assuming that nobody here was actually trying to help you, they were just assuming you were loaded and wanted to watch you spend extra money (because... Hey.. we all get Commission off whatever you buy)

Hmmm.. All i have to say is, I assumed once.. Yep. assumed she was on the pill.... Now i have twins..

I suggest getting the bearings replaced on the front axle and have the ring and pinion checked by a knowledgable shop. If there is no pitting in the ring and pinion then they are most likely still usable. Same thing with the 8.25, have it checked out.

Back