• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear pattern opinions

LT1XJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
This is what I have got. It isn't on an XJ, but just the same. What needs to happen.

gears1.jpg

gears2.jpg

LT1XJ said:
This is what I have got. It isn't on an XJ, but just the same. What needs to happen.

gears1.jpg

gears2.jpg

Hint, take the "www" off when using a ftp address...

The pattern on the drive side of the ring gear while centered heel to toe is concentrated towards the crown of the tooth. The pattern on the coast side of the ring gear is also towards the crown of the tooth but is also concentrated at the toe.

Take the ring gear closer to the pinion, while maintaining proper backlash and run another pattern. While running the patterns, place the palm of your hand flat against the ring gear and apply firm pressure as you rotate the pinion with the opposite hand. This will load the gearset and give you a more accurate pattern, you should have to work fairly hard to turn the pinion against the pressure you are applying to the ring gear. You need to run a pattern both forward and backward so that you mark the drive and coast side of the ring gear. Drive side is more important but the coast side will give you clues to what you are doing right or wrong.

Bob

first a couple of things.
you need to install the bearing caps when taking the pattern.
what axle is it and how much shim is under the pinion?
pinion is shallow by at least .006" and your backlash is a bit tight.
what is the BL setting?

Rawbrown said:
first a couple of things.
you need to install the bearing caps when taking the pattern.
what axle is it and how much shim is under the pinion?
pinion is shallow by at least .006" and your backlash is a bit tight.
what is the BL setting?

Man do you know gears... Time after time i've seen you do that. KNOCK IT OFF! :wierd: You're scaring me!

I had tried taking the www off, but the computer I was using was the server, so I couldnot verify if it was working. But thanks for the fix.

As to the pattern, The bearing caps were on when I ran the pattern, I was irritated with it and started to take it back out then took the pics. Looking at it in person it did not look very centered from heel to toe, and was a little towards the crown, but still looked good from top to bottom. backlash was .007. and pinion shim I will have to go back and see what I wrote down. Although, the stock shim was suprisingly thick and I still ended up adding to it. I guess somebody needs to learn upon me the skills of rawbrown.
It is a chevy 10 bolt, eaton LS, 3.73 precision gears

1. Why would ever want to touch a 10 bolt. I rate those right barely above a D35.

2. I don't really worry about heel to toe.

3. Make sure the pinion race is seated well.

4. You need to go deeper with the pinion (add shims). If the race is seated well then I'm going to say add .015" (just to see how close I am). :)

Have fun.

As others have said, the pinion is very shallow in those pics. A lot of the time I add or subtract more shim than necessary when roughing in a pattern. This way, you know what the pattern looks like when the pinion's too deep, and also too shallow. I'd add about .020 to that to take it too far, then back it out until it's right on.

something around .037" shim as a starting point I think. Gears are like golf, if your pissed of then you won't get a very good score. what reading do you have on the head of the pinion?
what brand gears are they?
if the pinion race isn't seated all the way then your going to get a pinion to deep reading wth the pattern focused into the root of the tooth.
Toe to Heel position of the mark is critical because it tells you if your backlash setting is correct.

Back