• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauging Interest for my '92 XJ

Tom R.

NAXJA Forum User
Due to a job lay-off, I may need to sell my '92 XJ. I've never been a fan of these "gauging interest" posts, but I'm a little on the fence about selling it. It may come to the point when I have no choice but to sell, so I'm hoping this will provide some good feedback and I can adjust accordingly.

It needs work, so this might make a nice project for anyone wanting to get into the off-road sport on the cheap. It's past due for registration (Aug) and I haven't had the time, energy or funds to fix things.

Leading particulars
'92 Laredo (green)
Auto
Power windows & door locks (typical sticky door locks and slow moving windows)
Factory roof rack
Sony CD player
6" RE lift (RE1462 leaf packs and 4.5" coils)
ACOS
Boomerang shackles (JKS, IIRC)
RE adjustable control arms, top and bottom
RE control arm drop kit
Homemade sway bar discos
OEM gas tank and TC skids
4.56 gears
Open front & rear
SYE & custom drive shaft, both from Tom Wood
ZJ drag link and tie rod
RE adjustable track bar (w/ extended TRE) and mount
Late model 8.25 axle with 29-spline shafts
32" BFG A/T tires
Alloy rims (one is an odd ball)
JKS front shock post eliminators (not installed)
Full size spare
A few extra parts (OEM tranny mount, aftermarket engine mounts, later model steering dual diaphram booster, and probably a few other things)

The ugly
Approaching 200K miles
Rear main seal leak
Valve cover leak
AC doen't blow cold; had it converted to Freeze 12, but never worked right
Exhaust manifold crack
Two tires need replacement soon
Needs new shocks and steering stab
Paint cancer
Factory tint bubbling
Has driveline vibs
All fluids due for a change

Has intermittent engine power issue. I replaced all sensors, cat, and had a handful of shops look at it. No codes. Maybe related to exhaust manifold or something lodged in downpipe? Dunno, but was going to inspect whenever I got around to replacing exhaust manifold.

I'm thinking $1600 or very near offer.

It's probably like most XJs with rear main seal leaks...a few drops here and there. It's had the leak ever since I bought it about 9 or 10 years ago.

That's a cutie. How's the uni-body?

disco or non-disco D30?

231 or 242? (never mind, just read your sig--does this mean it has the disco front?)

Unibody is fine as far as I can tell. I checked for cracks at typical stress points and didn't see any. It's never been jumped or harshly driven off-road; I stuck to moderate trails only. It's not the vacuum disco. I had brand new Warn shafts with 297 joints replaced by JR when he regeared it.

Anyone interested in making a deal? Let me know as I'm motivated to sell. I'll probably throw in a few extra things (hi-lift, subwoofer, CB radio, etc.). PM or post here.

Still haven't done anything with my XJ, so I'm putting it out there to see if anyone is looking to take on a project vehicle. My plan was to make it road worthy and legal this summer, but I'm willing to negotiate as it sits. If interested, contact me here on the forums.

Have you listed it on KSL?

For what you have into it. $1600 seems like a beyond fair price. I'm sure you'll sell it for that.

No I haven't listed it on KSL. I don't need to sell, but thinking about getting something more road friendly that will allow me to haul band gear around.

I wanted to see if anyone on here might be interested in its current condition. I'm certainly very negotiable on price since it needs a battery, shocks, new exh. manifold installed, all fluids changed, and probably two tires. It has been sitting for a while. If someone were to take it today, I think $1200 is a good starting point for price negotiation. Otherwise, I'll fix the things that need fixing, get it registered and keep it around for a little while.

I really dont think you'll need to negotiate. Seriously if you aren't in a hurry put it on Ksl for $2500. If you wait, you'll sell it. Prices are up on XJs right now.

Back