• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas prices and The Rubi...

Bones

NAXJA Forum User
Well, with gas prices hiking higher than a skirt after prom, I'm going to pass on the Rubicon this year. I just cannot justify 1000+ miles and $350+ in gas to go from CO to the Rubi for less than a week. That total is in addition to the trip to and from MO.

What this means is I will be going to the BV portion of the NAXJA run and I will be staying several extra days in CO afterward. If anyone wants to run some after NAXJA event, post here or hit me back channel. I know most of the listed trails in the BV and SJ areas as well as some great places to catch a bite in several towns. I've been to several old mining towns and know of a few mills in the SJ area that one can walk around in and see how things were done by people that could brave the elements better than I could ever imagine most of us doing. Photo opportunities will be plenty.
ggulch1-vi.jpg

amflg1-vi.jpg

imofal1-vi.jpg

Mostly I think my extra week in CO will be a laid-back scenic/primitive type adventure.

Bones :skull1:

Depending on the work situation I would love to. That is my favorite area of the country. We will be running a ton of these on the Colorado get together. My wife and myself are professional photographers and videographers and are shooting a pilot for the Discovery Channel. You might just end up on TV.

My wife and I would like to tag along. Planned on staying in Colorado For a week after so this sounds great. Planning on all camping, no motels or a mix? Anyway sounds fun, hope it happens. Jim

Bones, you bringing the trailer? :puke:

:D

Goatman said:
Bones, you bringing the trailer? :puke:

Yea,

I haven't had cooler soup in a while :scared:

Incase anyone is wondering, NEVER put your cooler in the back of a trailer then head up an 11,000 foot pass......Pressure drop + a large amount of bouncing = one hell of a mess. I think we salvaged one bottle of ketchup and about four sodas out of the entire mess that was a cooler full of stuff. If we wouldn't have been staying in the hotel that night, I would have ditched the whole cooler in a dumpster and started fresh. As it was, I think it took about 2 hours to clean up the mess.

How to make Cooler soup (a pictorial):

PEARLP_ROAD1-vi.jpg

PEARLP_ROAD2-vi.jpg

PEARLP_TOP_GROUP1-vi.jpg

In all fairness, that trailer started out in Buena Vista that morning. Went over Cottonwood pass, Taylor Pass, and Pearl Pass then hauled into Gunnison that evening. Other than the cooler fiasco, all went great.....

Well there was that one small incident :dunce:
TP_ROAD_B_STUCK-vi.jpg

Yep, that last pic is Brad and I throwing a few rocks for Bones who got stuck on the only rock in a basically flat section of trail. Bones is a quality guy......took guts to show that pic. :looser:

That was one truely memorable day. We started in BV, went west over 11,000' Cottonwood Pass on a decent road, then went north over 11,500' Taylor Pass on a rough road/trail, then went west and south over 13,000' Pearl Pass on a spectacular trail, ending up in Crested Butte and then Gunnison, where we got motel rooms. Bones spent a couple hours with his ice chest and the bathtub cleaning up the mess.........yuck!!! Stew in a plastic container, eggs, milk, mustard, soda cans, etc., etc........all shaken and mixed together. :shocked: :eek: :puke:

I'll miss being in CO this year......been there for a week each of the last two years, but you can't do everything.

where's that mill picture located? nice shot btw. danno

Bones said:
Well, with gas prices hiking higher than a skirt after prom, I'm going to pass on the Rubicon this year. I just cannot justify 1000+ miles and $350+ in gas to go from CO to the Rubi for less than a week. That total is in addition to the trip to and from MO.

What this means is I will be going to the BV portion of the NAXJA run and I will be staying several extra days in CO afterward. If anyone wants to run some after NAXJA event, post here or hit me back channel. I know most of the listed trails in the BV and SJ areas as well as some great places to catch a bite in several towns. I've been to several old mining towns and know of a few mills in the SJ area that one can walk around in and see how things were done by people that could brave the elements better than I could ever imagine most of us doing. Photo opportunities will be plenty.
ggulch1-vi.jpg

amflg1-vi.jpg

imofal1-vi.jpg

Mostly I think my extra week in CO will be a laid-back scenic/primitive type adventure.

Danno...And some fall pictures in the mountains

Danno said:
where's that mill picture located? nice shot btw. danno

The old mine is located up Governor Gulch, outside of Ouray. American Flag Mountain is off Italian Creek between Taylor Reservoir and Crested Butte. The falls are on Imogene pass between Telluride and Ouray.

Fall pictures:
engp3-vi.jpg

engp2-vi.jpg

pg10-vi.jpg

pg3-vi.jpg

pg8-vi.jpg

pg9-vi.jpg

Bones,

What day you leaving for colorado on? I'm thinking of heading out on the 7th from Columbia. I had planned on hitting the Con after Colorado but I may stay an extra week or may go to Moab or maybe all 3 :D I pretty much took the whole month of august off. :clap:

Walter B.

DAMMIT!!!! I WANNA GOO!!! anybody wanna come kidnap me from iraq? This bites, guys....biggest and best times, and i'm stuck out here:( What a load of horseapples.

well, take pics, kejtar, yucca.......if yall get a chance, take pics....ya never know when visitors are gonna pop up unnanounced:D

Kris

Hey Bones, it sure would be nice to see your cheap ass out here with us on the 'Con. What's another $300 in gas to get an opportunity to run the Rubicon for the first time. One thing to keep in mind is that you'll burn one tank of gas in five days on the 'Con, and you'd burn much more than that running around CO for those same five days, like I know you would. Now subtract that difference in gas usage from the extra $300 to come out here, and it's not that much of a difference. Hell, I'd gladly chip in $100 just to wheel with you and see you and the family, which makes it virtually no difference at all.

Come awn you cheap #####d :rattle: :looser:

:moon:

:D :D

He just wants to hang out in Colorado and almost kill himself again. I think it is something of an annual rite of passage :D.

Nay

Come on Bones! Load your junk on the trailor and we can caravan from Colorado to the Rubicon. I can't be the ONLY one to do both trips.

-Jon

Kaczman said:
Come on Bones! Load your junk on the trailor and we can caravan from Colorado to the Rubicon. I can't be the ONLY one to do both trips.

-Jon

I think Erik's doing both trips..........

Goatman said:
Hey Bones, it sure would be nice to see your cheap ass out here with us on the 'Con. What's another $300 in gas to get an opportunity to run the Rubicon for the first time. One thing to keep in mind is that you'll burn one tank of gas in five days on the 'Con, and you'd burn much more than that running around CO for those same five days, like I know you would. Now subtract that difference in gas usage from the extra $300 to come out here, and it's not that much of a difference. Hell, I'd gladly chip in $100 just to wheel with you and see you and the family, which makes it virtually no difference at all.

Come awn you cheap #####d :rattle: :looser:

:moon:

:D :D

Hey Bones..........where are you?

:wave: Well hello all. :wave:

I just got back from a big computer crash and a 40th b-day extravaganza for my wife. Hopefully everything will be getting back to normal around here soon.

I think the computer is up and going again. However, I lost all my contacts, favorites lists (over 5 years worth) and as it stands, I'm locked out of all my personal files (pics, downloaded programs, etc.), but at least I'm back on the net ;)

Walter, I figure we will be heading out Friday the 6th after work. I've found just getting a couple hours down the road and away from home saves several hours of time vs. leaving "the next morning" when you travel with a wife and kids.

Goat, the rubi is out this year. It's not just the gas out and back, it was also the long ass haul back to mid Missouri afterward. I bowed to some "bitter half" pressure when gas prices got so high. Now that the the prices are coming down, she won't let me change my mind. After 14 years of marriage I've learned to pick my battles carefully, it's better that way :kissyou: .

Back