• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

G2 d44's from 4WheelParts

i dont believe he is "pissing" away anything. hes gonna wheel his rig. he has many priorities ahead of this. he has the money to be able to get it all done without disrupting every other aspect of his life, cause we all know, when we do the labor and put the time into it is does eventually affect everything in one form or another. its not like he bought a super 35 kit or something. give the guy a break.

i think you did fine. youll be more than strong enough for the 32's(and with some trimming you can fit bigger shoes in there by the way), you wont have a lot of down time, and youll be confident when your out wheeling next time.

you did things in a bit different fashion than most here might(weather cause they can do the fab work themselves, like to get dirty, or just cant afford to go down the route you did) but dont let the asses take your thunder. and lastly, always feel free to post up pictures of your rig!!

Thanks for this post you captured what I was thinking and made me laugh.
I actually do have another project that I have been working on for the last 2 years. LS1 conversion into a 1987 Porsche 944S. I am two years into that one its about 80% done. My XJ was not going to turn into that and my wife was not standing for two projects. I was fortunate enough to be able to hire out on the work. The truth is I want to drive the Jeep right now before some glorious ruler in Washington outlaws off road driving.

I did drop the XJ off on Monday 11/15....when I get it back I will post the work. I went ahead and had them add the Currie HD tie rods. They also sent out the front drive shaft out to the drive line shop to be rebuilt.

dont know what you ordered...

But I just left SEMA and took this picture of thier D44 front for a TJ/XJ yesterday, and can without a doubt Confirm that the front D44 has Stock TJ tubes (as well as brackets) and that would mean small 2.5" x .25"...

heres a picture even, hard to see in this picture though. I took it for knuckle reasons and just showing that I did indeed see it in person. no hear say..

IMG_1646.jpg

Sorry, I am so new to Jeeps. Are the specs you referenced better or worse than the stock D30?

No worse. I think the TJ D-44 axle tubes are the same size as the D-30. You are getting a stronger ring and pinion.

And FWIW, if I had to do it over, I'd probably do exactly what you are doing. The piece it together route isn't always better over the long run.

Wayyyyyyyyyy too much money for a low pinion. One of the best things I've done was swapping to a high pinion. So d44 or not, it's a waste.

I wheeled the piss out of my Jeep on 32's with a locked 30/8.25 combo and only bought shafts for the front when I knew I was going to 35's.

Might as well buy 35's now that your axles can take it and you definitely have the lift for it. You're just losing diff and body clearance now staying with the 32's. I'm definitely not saying the axles were a bad choice, but you might as well upgrade a few other things while you're at it and have the money.

Its not the route I'd have chosen because I'm a rookie in my career = don't have the cash
You'll be fine on 32s
Enjoy!

Go back to the place that mounted your tires and tell them to put the weights on the inside of the wheel haha.

Why? You get a Much better ballance with Dual Plane over a static.

Unfortunately your stock axles aren't really worth much unless you find someone gullible enough to pay overly much for them. LP d30 and a d35... the d35 is worth maybe 50 bucks unless you find a sucker (try craigslist), the LP d30 is worth more as parts than it is whole, pull the shafts+unit bearings and sell them for 60-100 for the set, pull the pinion yoke and sell it for 10 bucks, scrap the rest or sell for like 20-50 bucks on CL.

LP d30 and a d35... the d35 is worth maybe 50 bucks unless you find a sucker (try craigslist), the LP d30 is worth more as parts than it is whole, pull the shafts+unit bearings and sell them for 60-100 for the set, pull the pinion yoke and sell it for 10 bucks, scrap the rest or sell for like 20-50 bucks on CL.

When I did my rear D44 swap, I was left with an ABSed D35 sitting out on my balcony. After a month of advertising on Craigslist and elsewhere, the best deal I got for it was to drive it over to the local Jeep dismantlers, who took it off of my hands for $20. It wasn't going to live in the back of the XJ forever and I certainly wasn't dragging it back up to my 3rd-floor apartment, so I counted myself lucky to get even that for it. My only mistake was not pulling the shafts for the tone rings so that I could ABS the D44, but to have the thing out of my life it was worth it.

The LP30 is still up front, locker, gears, and all. It's not going anywhere anytime soon since I was able to get it vibe-free and simply can't see an advantage to changing out to an HP30 or something else if it basically works for the kind of use that I put on the XJ. That's not to say that an HP30 wouldn't be preferable - it would - but I'm taking the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' approach to it: the time, money, and effort involved in the replacement just isn't worth it right now, and the return I'd get on the LP30 only serves to make doing all of that look less-attractive.

YMMV, but this is pretty much the reality of these axles.

First off thanks for everyones input.

The plot thickens: When I decided on the G2 set up it is because I wanted the ABS to work F and R for street driving. My sales guy at 4WP told me this would work no problem. Later he called me and let me know the ABS would not work on the rear and that this was not an option. I think it's funny that they installed the front axle and then noticed that the rear axle did not have tone rings.

So now where it stands is I have options. I called Currie today and talked to Chris. He quoted me me on a F HPD44 and R D44. A lot more money.....

You can point the guys you have doing the work at fyrfytr1717's thread on putting ABS on an XJ D44, it should help. Googling "fyrfytr1717 naxja abs dana 44" should bring the thread up.

You can make it work. Check out that thread^.

And its actually a good thing you have those RE arms, they will protect the front driveshaft a bit. I bashed mine up a lot on 31's.

Go back to the place that mounted your tires and tell them to put the weights on the inside of the wheel haha.

Agree....I need to hand paint the wheel weights black.

I'm glad you brought that up. Does anyone know if there is a reason they don't use stick on weights? I have to think that these are going to pop off if I scrape the wheel against something....I could imagine driving home on hardball at 70mph after offroading and having a massive shaker.

Because stick on weights are more of a pain to use and cost a little more. You could just use bbs and never have to worry about weights. I got 9 ounces in each of my 33x12.50 Mts, balances perfectly.

FWIW, this was NOT my experience. Ran 8 oz in my 31s and shook like mad until I got rid of the BBs and ran normal weights again.

Shrug.

Agree....I need to hand paint the wheel weights black.

I'm glad you brought that up. Does anyone know if there is a reason they don't use stick on weights? I have to think that these are going to pop off if I scrape the wheel against something....I could imagine driving home on hardball at 70mph after offroading and having a massive shaker.

I think you just have to ask. They'll always use stick on weights with nice custom wheels, but they probably figure they are just cheap steel wheels, so who cares. I've always had them put the weights on the inside. Maybe they thought there wasn't enough clearance with the brakes?

Back