• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full Width

drewguere

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I have a 1998 XJ that has a RE 3.5 and 32" Kumho MTs. I have an 8.8 rear end, and a D30 front.

I have a set of 36" TSLs at my house that Im going to be mounting this spring.

My plans definitly include the RE 5.5 springs, TNT Long-arms, TNT inner and outer steering box brace, and MORE steering brace.

Im also looking into some sort of hydro assist steering, and full width axles.

I am looking to go extremely overkill on the axles. I wanted D60s front and rear. I had first planned on a D44/9" from a 70's Ford P/U, but my buddy told me to pass on a 9" because of the really low pinion. So now Im thinking D60s

What kind of rigs should I look for to pull these from? Ive heard ford and chevy (and possibly dodge) offered a D60 front, and they each have advantages?

This rig will be street driven (not daily, and not far, but definitly driven) and Id like to eventually do discs on all 4 tires, but I dont have to do that when I first put them in. Which axles would be my best bet, and easiest to find?

kewlkatdady said:
1 ton ford

late 70's ford. because you need a drivers side diff. chevy is pass side. and dodge is gay

do some searching here and on pirate4x4. there's lots of info out there.

And for the rear end what should I look for? Im guessing not a Ford because they will have 9" and I know the junkyard near me doesn't have many Dodges, so Im hoping they are common in Chevy pickups or burbans?

drewguere said:
And for the rear end what should I look for? Im guessing not a Ford because they will have 9" and I know the junkyard near me doesn't have many Dodges, so Im hoping they are common in Chevy pickups or burbans?

Just look for 1-ton (f350). the 9" should have only come in the 1/2-tons (f150).

And do you have any pics of the D60 vs the D44, because if I go looking for a late 70s ford, with my luck, Ill grab a D44

it'll be a notice able size difference. again look for an f350 and 8-lug. f250's will probably have an 8-lug d44 so be careful.

Back