• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full-Traction Long Arm kit installed

Capt. Nemo said:
Still, my only complaint has been that the track bar mounting bracket and the brace that goes under the oil pan have come loose on several occasions. A little welding has taken care of those problems.

Eric

I would hardly hold this against them, it's a well known issue with RE as well. when I had an RE coil lift my trackbar bracket would shift from time to time, but 3 little 1/2" welds took care of it; and was still easy to take off with just a little help from the angle grinder.

so Eric, you leaving that HP44 full width and using the 9"? or are you narrowing to Waggy width and redrilling your rear 44? Spicer shafts up front or you going *bling*?

53guy said:
Nice looking jeep! Well, I'm about to spend the biggest sum of cash I have ever seen in my life and get the FT 6" with 33x12.50 BFG's. I'm real curious about the install you did. What kind of problems did you run into? Any welding at all have to be done? I'm in the military and am stuck with my jeep in Quantico, VA with very few tools available to me and as of yet, haven't found any serious jeepers around here, so I'm trying to head off all the problems with the install I can before I order it and start. How long did it take you to install? Did you work by yourself or with some help? Any tips at all with the kit? This is my second lift I have ever done and I want to make this go as smooth as possiable, so any help would be awesome! Thanks man! OH! What's the backspacing on your rims? Thanks again.
I've had mine installed since July of 04 and sitting good. I didn't do the install, but a wheeling acquaintance did. He had to use different ubolts because the ones supplied the nuts either stripped or just spun on them. He had to fab/weld a mount for the disconnects coming off the axle.He took some liberty with making it work better than the directions,etc. I am running 35"s and kinda wish I just went with 33"s in a way, but the jury is still out. My wheeling environments are pretty much woods and mud here in Indiana.
Good luck. Stout kit, that's for sure!

why 33's, surely not clearance issues

Whew! Lots o' questions...

To address Brett first, since it's at the forefront of everything I'm working on right now: I narrowed the axle to Waggy width (I'm now a certified village idiot...) and I'm running Yukon shafts for all but the inner long side since it was out of stock and I can't wait a month and a half for it to come in. The long side inner is a Warn. After the PBB clean up last year, I came out of the Rubicon at Wentworth Springs and experienced first had how narrow trails can get. After that, I decided to narrow the front and not run the risk of running over vegetation on narrower trails with a full width. I'm running Longfield u-joints, Independent4x.com (PBB vendor) steering kit on top of the knuckle (not high steer, but good enough for me), new stock carrier, Aussie Locker, Warn Premium Hubs, and all new brake hardware, ball joints, bearings, etc. The rear is the stock D44 with Superior shafts. All this will be rolling on new 37" MTR's. Ya, I'll be taking it really easy until I can upgrade the stock carrier in the front and the rear. I'm running 4.88's and an auto, but plan on upgrading the transfer case in the next 6 months or so. Probably more info than ya really wanted, but now I don't have to answer anything else about the front :laugh3: (Oh, and this has been funded by doing A TON of side work and has taken a long time to get where it is.)

As far as the lift goes. I did the entire lift by myself. It took three full weekends and was fairly straightforward. The only problem were the lock nuts, which are deformed and lock onto whatever they're bolted to. I changed everything over to nylock and have been very happy. The only other problem was the track bar where it mounts to the axle. I had to drill out the bracket hole to accept a larger diameter bolt, which the instructions said nothing about. I got one of the first kits they put out, so it may have been corrected with future kits. I also ran into problems with the rear springs, but you can check out that thread here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27026&highlight=full-traction+problem+solved

I think the front springs have sagged a little, but it might be that they are just broken in. It's hard for me to tell since the back end is not set-up the way the kit intended. I had quite an experience the first time out when the springs were fresh on and not broken in. It's called taking a stupid line and having the springs unload. Now I know why people use limiting straps.
underside.jpg

Really it's just an excuse to post this pic again. But hey, you do get a good look at the lift...

Last edited:
hmm, based on tire placement in that pic, it looks like you were trying this line:

pretty ballsy! maybe if you came more straight on at it... but I'd be impressed to see any XJ make that line. For those that have never been to the Rubicon, that line looks a lot harder in person.

That's pretty much the line, perhaps a bit more to the right... There's a tree on the right of the trail that makes it impossible to take that line dead nuts straight. Anyway...

53guy said:
Nice looking jeep! Well, I'm about to spend the biggest sum of cash I have ever seen in my life and get the FT 6" with 33x12.50 BFG's. I'm real curious about the install you did. What kind of problems did you run into? Any welding at all have to be done? I'm in the military and am stuck with my jeep in Quantico, VA with very few tools available to me and as of yet, haven't found any serious jeepers around here, so I'm trying to head off all the problems with the install I can before I order it and start. How long did it take you to install? Did you work by yourself or with some help? Any tips at all with the kit? This is my second lift I have ever done and I want to make this go as smooth as possiable, so any help would be awesome! Thanks man! OH! What's the backspacing on your rims? Thanks again.

hey i just bought my XJ and have joined up with NOVA Jeepers www.novajeepers.com they seem pretty cool adn knowledgeable, do a lot of rides too.

if you havent put on the kit yet, give me a holler, i can lend a hand

yeah, I'm a member of NOVA jeepers as well, under the handle of 53guy. no, I havent put the lift on yet, but I have the parts. Works been too much of a thing for me to mess with my jeep much lately. but yeah, i'll definately give you a hollar if i need your help. thanks a bunch! (btw, do you have this kit or are you planning on getting it?)

i know a few of the guys, but never have hung out with the group yet. i'm waiting to get my lift and tires on so i'm not as embarrased! =)

haha nah i woudlnt worry about it, i showed up in my ford ranger! haha my jeep is not legal yet.

When were you thinking about putting the lift on?

Well... here I am bumping up old a$$ threads... but I am wondering if there is any update on this over four years later?? I am just wondering how the kits has held up to changes, upgrades and more brutal fun??

Forgive me, but I'm another new member bumping this thread. I have a few comments on the lift and a few questions as well. Some might feel that I'm highjacking this thread too. If so, please let me know and I'll ask the question in a new thread. With that said, I think the information regarding my questions to be helpful to anyone searching for info on this lift. Anyway...

I recently purchased a basketcase '95 XJ "for the wife" and after some research I figured out that the installed lift is a Full Traction unit. A previous owner did a complete hack job on the install, so I'm working on cleaning up the install and getting this XJ back on the road (last owner said 4yrs since it was last driven).

With that said, it appears that this Jeep has the same rear leaf pack problem as one of the other members previously commented on this thread. The rear shackle is maybe .200" from the crossmember, plus the Jeep sags in the rear by just over an inch. I figured that a simple shackle lift work fix the level problem, but would that then force the mounting point of the leaf pack past the rear crossmember or cause the new lift shackle to hit as well? Maybe a boomerang shackle is needed? Is the only fix buying a new spring pack for the rear?

The front control arms appear to be modified as well. On one end of the LCA that mounts to the FT unibody bracket was converted over to a heim joint and the axle end of the LCA is some "type" of johnny joint. Does anyone else have a 1" heim joint attaching to the FT unibody mount?

Also, the johnny joints on the LCA's are slightly different than the Currie units I've seen. The joints I have use two (2) C-Clips (one on either side of the joint) instead of the one clip used in the Currie unit. Along with that, the insert appears to be different that the Currie unit. I assume the Currie insert is the same length on either half, as you only need to order 2 of the same part number to assemble a complete insert. Well, the inserts used in the joints I have are unequal lengths and now I don't know where to go to get replacement inserts.

Other than those few problems, the lift itself appears to be a decent lift with durable brackets, etc... I'll give more of an update once I finish fixing the lift and measuring/installing new shocks.

Thanks again for any help/info and I look forward to your replies.

JC

i am not entirely sure about the rest, but as far as the leaf springs go, are right on wanting to get a boomerang type shackle sold by Rubicon express, this will help clearance the crossmember while still allowing good flex of the spring. the control arm joints sound pretty effed up, and you may want to try and convert them back to what they were origionally.

oh and welcome to NAXJA

a friend has the kit on his 98, the lowers have hiems on the axle end and the full traction joints on the frame end. it also has the saggin issue out back, he bought the jeep with the kit on it, all the joints and even the frame brackets make noises this week is is ordering a Clayton LA kit to replace the full traction arms

Thanks for the response and the official welcome too!

Well, it looks like I'll be clicking "buy now" on some shackles tonight! I'm glad it is an easy fix and not a complete nightmare to fix! The bonus is that the XJ will be level now too.

That sucks to hear Rob! I noticed something different about my arms right now as well. All of the FT arms that I see are straight without any curve to them. The arms that I have are slightly bent just past center. They were made that way and not bent on the trail, as the arms are stupid beefy and both sides match.

I started thinking that maybe they were high-clearance lower arms, but I can't flip them over because the noob that installed the kit years ago didn't even remove the stock LCA mount. When I flip the arm over, it hits the mount. That said, even with it "almost" positioned in the correct spot, it looks like any moderate up travel would cause the arm to hit the unibody.

I'll take some shots in a second and post them up so everyone can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks again!

JC

yes pictures are nice :D

Alright - I just took some quick shots so everyone can see what I'm talking about.

I'm not going to show an overall of the XJ until I'm done, but I have new Hanson bumpers, safari rack, 9500lbs winch w/ syn rope, Glass front flared fenders, black 17" simulated beads on 33's, 40" LED light bar mounted on rack, 10" amber LED light bar on front bumper under prerunner bar, plus so much more. I can't wait for the "wife's" XJ to be done!

Alright - now for the pics:

Bushing Insert Pics

bushinginsert.jpg

bushinginsert2.jpg

Lower Control Arms (Installed and on bench)
lcainstalled.jpg
lcaonbench.jpg

LCA Unibody Mount (poorly welded to Unibody)
weldedunibodymount.jpg

Rear Leaf Shackle Against Crossmember
rearspringhanger.jpg

That about shows everything I've discussed. If you need bigger pics or shots of something else, please let me know. Thanks again to all the members for any help too, I do ppreciate it!

JC

I do not know why the LCA's are bent like that they should be strait. The rear shackles on my kit are boomerang shackles from FT. I dont know whly the brackets are welded on. I would orderd a new long arm kit check out the new Rough Country kit it looks good and cut and through that shit away it looks unsafe.

Back