• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Replacement Problems

90red

NAXJA Forum User
90 Cherokee 4.0 2WD 5 Speed

Just replaced the fuel pump. I turn the key to let the fuel pump build presssure and I can hear it come on and then turn off when it builds up pressure. When I try to start it, nothing. And the fuel gauge is pegged. When I first installed it, it wouldnt come on at all. So I pulled it back out and swapped the wires and it made sound, but still wouldnt start. I did manage to knock off the small black ground wire that looked like it was just tacked on to the front of the sending unit where the fuel lines and the electrical wires are conected. I drilled a hole in the front of the unit and reattached the ground wire with a small screw and sealed the back of the hole where the screw protruded. I am in a real bind here, I am not sure what else to do and I cant afford to take it in and have it repaired. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

90red

None at the moment. I pushed in the outlet to check the pressure and no fuel comes out. I dont have a fuel pressure guage, but no fuel equals no pressure.

90red

Back