• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Level sending unit.

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
98 xj fairly stock Limited. I put a check valve in recently and it fixed the issue of having to "prime" the fuel system. Now the fuel gauge is reading empty when I know its full. I read in the FSM that you test it out of the tank for resistance. Two questions. One: Do I test with the multi meter set on resistance and have one lead on the sending pin and the other on the ground pin? Second: Any reason I could not get a reading on it from the connector of the sending unit? I did the gauge cluster test and all the gauges are showing that they are working.

1: Yes.

2: No. There's no reason to pull it out to test it. They just say that so you can move the range arm from Empty to Full. You'll only be able to see if it's reading correctly for the amount of fuel you have. I'd very much be willing to bet you just have a bad connection at fuel pump plug.

2: No. There's no reason to pull it out to test it. They just say that so you can move the range arm from Empty to Full. You'll only be able to see if it's reading correctly for the amount of fuel you have. I'd very much be willing to bet you just have a bad connection at fuel pump plug.

I hope so! It was a biatch to get unplugged. Thanks!

On a Renix era level sensor, how does it share wiring with the fuel pump (3 wires total) and work with the dash gauge? Do they share the same 12 volt input and share a common ground wire or what?

Tried to test it after work and discovered something I did not think about. The tank is plastic and does not conduct so the plug has to be plugged in to ground. I got no resistance if I was testing it right so I'll have to drop the tank again and pull it ans see what is going on. Need to see what years are compatible and see if I have one laying around. Doubtful.

Found this through Google but could not find it searching here......

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1078293

Anyone know where I can see what year vehicles used the same sender unit as the one in my 98?

http://www.mopardealerparts.com/p/J...--Fuel-Level-Circuit/42460136/CBK17552AB.html

BOARD PACKAGE, LEVEL UNIT. Fuel, Fuel Level Circuit.
Part Number: CBK17552AB ; 04856913; 04874171; 05010176AA; 05013473AA; CBK17552; CBR17551
Your Price $ 105.31

http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/...l--Fuel-Level-Circuit/6955023/CBK17552AB.html

BOARD PACKAGE, LEVEL UNIT. Fuel, Fuel Level Circuit. .
This genuine part fits your 1998 JEEP CHEROKEE 4.0L I6 Power Tech, 4-Speed Automatic AW4.
Stock Code CBK17552AB ; 04856913; 04874171; 05010176AA; 05013473AA; CBK17552; CBR17551
Manufacturer Mopar
Your Price $ 100.26

97-01 used the plastic fuel tank with the pump going in from the top.

Earlier years were different.

Here's some data pertaining to the fuel level sending unit and resistance checking.

Measure the resistance across the sending unit connector terminals 3 and 4. With float in up (Full Tank) position, resistance should be 20 ohms (+/- 5%). With float in down (Empty Tank) position, resistance should be 220 ohms (+/- 5%).

Pic of the fuel pump module pigtail connector and pin outs. Note that pin cavity 4 is fuel level sensor ground.

FuelPumpModuleConnector_3-1.jpg

Renix 87-90 was three wires (Working on one right now, dead fuel pump), which has me scratching my head as to how they managed with only 4 wires on Renix.

Fixed it. The send prong was getting pushed out when the connector was pressed together. Thank fully I don't have to drop the tank again. Thanks for all the help. That image with the pin out is an awesome source.

Back