• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FS: 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

One_Sick_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys and gals of NAXJA,

I have have had a lot going on this past year and now I must sell my beloved XJ to have someone that has the time and space to put the finishing touches on it and love and cherish it as much as I have. It pains me to do this for a second time on here, but please see my CL ad below for the details and pics.

$6,500 for NAXJA members.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3996106274.html

Does my price sound fair for everything done to my XJ? I'm losing money even if I got $7k for it, but I completely understand that you don't build a rig to make a profit. Any feedback would be appreciated!

I've been on here for a long time and haven't done anything wrong! I only wanted to know what was fair to ask and you pull a jenky move like that. It was my personal vehicle that I have cherished and wheeled. Just because I like to change my mind on which vehicles I decide to own, doesn't mean YOU should dictate whether I sell it or not. Shame on you sir!

Actually my roommate brought something to my attention and I apologize if you were not the one that flagged my posting 4x4 XJ. I may have read your post wrong the first time around. I don't have any reason why it should have been flagged. This is a legitimate sale and not some scam.

Here is what my ad had said:

Hi folks, up for sale is my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 (XJ) Daily Driver worthy Rock Crawler. Here are the specs:

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 XJ

-146,8xx miles on the indestructible 4.0L Straight 6 Engine (Runs like a champ)

-Auto AW4 Trans

-NP231 Transfer case (recently rebuilt, works flawlessly)

-Dana 30 front (Stock gears w/ Aussie Locker, new fluids)

-Chrysler 8.25 rear (Stock gears, open w/ new fluids)

-Manual Door Locks and Window Cranks (less electrical things to break and worry about)

-Recently installed rear hatch shocks

-4.5" Rough Country Long Arm Suspension

- True SYE (not hack 'n tap crap)

-Aftermarket CV Double Cardan Rear Driveshaft

-Rough Country Dual Stabilizer Steering Upgrade

-15" American Racing AR23 Wheels

-32x11.50x15 Falken WildPeak AT Tires with 90% + tread

-Full size spare tire on American Racing Black Steelie Wheel

-Confer Roof Rack with added expanded steel floor and JCR gutter mounts

-Optima Red Top Battery

-E-code headlights

-55W HIDS with high wattage wiring harness and Putco conversion wiring harness

-Clear corner and marker lenses

-Sony CD Player

-Rough Country Front Sway Bar Quick Disconnects

-Trimmed fenders front and rear for clearance

-Recently done Rear Main Seal (almost no leaking)

-ZJ Tie Rod Upgrade

-JCR Uni-frame Tie-In Kit

-JCR Steering Box Spacer

-Refurbished Gear Box from Autozone

-New Serpentine Belt

-Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines front and rear

-Rough Country Drop Pitman Arm

-Interior 9.5/10

-Exterior 8/10

-Comes with Rough Country Transfer Case Skid Plate, Front Sway Bar, and new Spark Plugs (currently not installed)

Throw on some bumpers, sliders, and rear locker in and you have a fully built wheeling machine!
Registered through October of this year (passed last year with flying colors)
I bought it stock and did all of the upgrades within the past year

Some of the pictures are from various places as I was building it, so they may not show all of the parts installed. This Jeep is truly fun to drive and wheel. It has never let me down and has been able to reliably get me to and from the trail without any issues where I couldn't make it back home under its own power. I am a stickler for maintenance, so I've kept on top of everything using only synthetic fluids and top notch parts.

Please send me a message to let me know if you have any questions or would like to come look at it. All reasonable offers will be considered. $7,000 obo. Thank you for taking the time to look at my post.

Actually my roommate brought something to my attention and I apologize if you were not the one that flagged my posting 4x4 XJ. I may have read your post wrong the first time around. I don't have any reason why it should have been flagged. This is a legitimate sale and not some scam.

No problem man..

Just repost it...here's a tidbit about CL flags..If someone else is selling a similar item, or doesn't like you, all they have to do is call a couple of buddies and it takes 4 or 6 people flagging the ad or something like that. Then CL will remove the ad automatically. I had a buddy trying to sell an Enclosed Trailer and some dude low balled him on the phone. He told him to pound sand and every time after that, his ad got flagged. It's a crock, but I guess with free ads, whatareyagonnado?

Just repost it...here's a tidbit about CL flags..If someone else is selling a similar item, or doesn't like you, all they have to do is call a couple of buddies and it takes 4 or 6 people flagging the ad or something like that. Then CL will remove the ad automatically. I had a buddy trying to sell an Enclosed Trailer and some dude low balled him on the phone. He told him to pound sand and every time after that, his ad got flagged. It's a crock, but I guess with free ads, whatareyagonnado?

I re-posted it last night. I have never been flagged on there before, but I understand what it takes to flag a posting. It's a shame that you can't rebuttal something like that on there yet, but like you said, what are ya gonna do? Especially on a free site like that.

Just for kicks, if anyone is serious about purchasing my XJ this weekend, I will let I go for $6,000.

Well you are asking for feedback as to pricing, so I will give it.

"-Exterior 8/10"
I am not surprised it was flagged, the posting on craigslist. The exterior is at best a 5. At least from the pictures. It looks as though? There are very large areas of paint where the clear has flaked on the paint? The front fenders are cut, and roughly at that? The rear fenders are cut? The hood looks tweeked? The front bumper looks bent and missing ends? The rear pass corner is missing something? Looks as though the pass rocker has taken a hit or two and pushed in, in a area? And that all from only seeing a few pictures.

Some of this might be "cool' to a 'jeeper', but all that diminishes the overall value on paper and grade on a scale.

IF you go by Kelly Blue Book value for what a jeep in your cond is worth all stock its about 3550. Then add at most 2000$ of upgrades, then lower that total due to all the upgrades being used and current value.

I would guess if you really wanted to sell it it would need to be in the 4500$ range. And if you wanted to hold out for someone that really wanted your exact setup then maybe 5000$. And even at those prices, it may never sell.

Take a few hours. Clean it up good. VERY GOOD. trim the fender edges with U molding. Take it to a nice piece of Grass and take some good pictures of it when its clean and NOT in abusive situations. Then list it. you will get alot more interest and people wont think its abused, due to pictures and how its presented.

You asked, so please dont get offended.

I'd tend to agree with Rob, you're not going to sell it here for that price because we're all cheap bastards and wheeling pics scare people on craigslist. make it look like a street queen if you want to pull that kind of dough.

usually the rule is take bluebook for if it was stock in the condition of the body and interior, then add up the cost of your upgrades (can't include labor just hard parts cost) and cut that number in half and add it to your bluebook value. that will give you a good idea of where to start.

Thanks for the tips Rob and Mike. I appreciate the feedback. I want to be fair about the price and I don't want to mislead anyone. The exterior actually does look better in person than in the pics. It's more of a see it to believe it kind of case I suppose, lol.

The passenger rocker is slightly dinged where you said it was and the piece missing from the rear is the side trim molding on the quarter panel. I left the brackets there, so that there wouldn't be holes left in the body to rust because I was planning on eventually getting the JCR quarter panels for the LED lights and added protection.

The bumpers are slightly crimped on one end of each. I swear Jeep made those bumpers out of the thinnest sheet metal they could find, lol.

The clear coat is only peeling on the hatch. I had a pic of it up on my CL ad to show it, so there were no surprises.

The hood hinges need a slight adjustment to have the hood sit flush in the back, but it isn't dented or anything.

I have over $4k invested in aftermarket parts alone (with receipts to verify), not counting labor, counting any used parts based off of what I paid for them and not their retail prices, not counting any maintenance to factory parts like: rebuilding the transfer case at a shop ($750), the reman gear box, ZJ tie rod, etc.

So, would $6,000obo be a fair asking price if I take KBB and add only 50% of my parts investment, since we know everyone buying a used vehicle won't pay asking price, especially on CL of all places?

I will break down what I have paid for everything tonight when I get home from work and pull out my receipts. Thanks again for your insight guys!

You have to consider any money in "upgrades" you will never recover when you sell. If you dumped $4000 into it in parts + labor, what is the actual cost of the parts? If you spent $2500 on parts and $1500 on having them installed, then you have $2500 in upgrades. Divide that number in half. I'm with Cal, Mike and Rob on this, $4500 on a good day, maybe $5000 with the right buyer. Get it cleaned up, fix the minor cosmetic trim issues, take some good pictures of it and repost it. Good luck.

Back