• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frustrated with my RE leaf springs

SC Rednek

NAXJA Forum User
Just finished putting together the suspension on my XJ, including Rubicon Express 5.5" XJ leaf springs. I'm running them with 1" lift TNT boomerang shackles.

First thing I noticed, even before I put them on the jeep was the centering pin offset. I set them next to my old 4.5" rusty's springs, and saw the centering pin was about 1" to 1.5" farther forward than it should have been. Supposed to be 2.5" offset on an XJ if I recall correctly, this was closer to 4". Quick search on NAXJA, turns out this is a common problem, the solution everyone gives is to use 1" offset holes in the perch and plate. But I was already planning on doing that to push the axle a little farther back to clear my 36" tires with a cut and fold. So I ended up drilling 2" offset holes in my perches and plates, not very happy about it but alright, figured everything would be fine.

Now that everything is together, I found the shackles are ALMOST bottomed out at ride height (yes that's with nothing in the trunk, I know my bumper's heavy but not THAT heavy). I get about 1/2" of compression before they bottom out. And this is with longer and boomerang shackles. If I was running stock shackles I wouldn't even be able to drive it. It's downright unacceptable. So now I'm going to have to either rebuild the shackle boxes or front spring hangers just because RE gave me too long a spring. As it is I can't do any serious offroading till it's fixed.:flamemad:

I ordered RE springs because they have a good reputation. One issue, I'd say it's just lousy quality control and something made it past. But two issues, come on. One thing's for sure, I'll never recommend or buy from RE again.

Rant over :cool:

Last edited:
Just finished putting together the suspension on my XJ, including Rubicon Express 5.5" XJ leaf springs. I'm running them with 1" lift TNT boomerang shackles.

First thing I noticed, even before I put them on the jeep was the centering pin offset. I set them next to my old 4.5" rusty's springs, and saw the centering pin was about 1" to 1.5" farther forward than it should have been. Supposed to be 2.5" offset on an XJ if I recall correctly, this was closer to 4". Quick search on NAXJA, turns out this is a common problem, the solution everyone gives is to use 1" offset holes in the perch and plate. But I was already planning on doing that to push the axle a little farther back to clear my 36" tires with a cut and fold. So I ended up drilling 2" offset holes in my perches and plates, not very happy about it but alright, figured everything would be fine.

Now that everything is together, I found the shackles are ALMOST bottomed out at ride height (yes that's with nothing in the trunk, I know my bumper's heavy but not THAT heavy). I get about 1/2" of compression before they bottom out. And this is with longer and boomerang shackles. If I was running stock shackles I wouldn't even be able to drive it. It's downright unacceptable. So now I'm going to have to either rebuild the shackle boxes or front spring hangers just because RE gave me too long a spring. As it is I can't do any serious offroading till it's fixed.:flamemad:

I ordered RE springs because they have a good reputation. One issue, I'd say it's just lousy quality control and something made it past. But two issues, come on. One thing's for sure, I'll never recommend or buy from RE again.

What did RE say when you called them and calmly explained the problems you're having? What about the vendor you purchased them through?

sounds like you got the wrong piieces

X2. My RE 5.5" springs center pins where about an inch back, which is why i chose them to push the axle back a little. They where slightly longer than my 4.5" springs but not enough to hamper the shackle movement.

What did RE say when you called them and calmly explained the problems you're having? What about the vendor you purchased them through?

^^Yeah that

How about you give them a chance to help you figure out the problem before you condemn them? Are you sure you didn't get MJ springs?

Are you sure you didn't get MJ springs?

I don't think they make MJ rear springs, the Mj kit they sell comes with the stuff to go SOA in the rear.

If it's like any other RE spring the part number should be stamped on the spring. Google it and see if they simply sent you the wrong stuff.

Seeing as how RE is one of the more top quality lift kit providers I doubt it's their quality that's at fault. Perhaps user error? I know I got upset with my rear RE leafs until I asked around and they installed just fine after I did some research.

OP sounds like a thoughtful guy, but I have to say I'm interested to hear what RE says.

Other than the common comment of the springs riding higher than stated, and maybe their quick swaybar disconnects not being up to JKS/Currie standards, they seem to be a quality outfit with many, many peeps on here with their kits, or components.

Please post up what they say, Rednek, and good luck, sir! :)

Compared to Deaver race pack the RE HD 5.5 I put on my Jeep the pins are about a inch further forward, they are longer and I did cut the rear frame rail to provide clearance for them to move in and out. I am not using boomerang shackles though so I "HAD" to cut the rail out to make it work.

BDS offers some pretty beefy leaf packs and the have a 100% no questions asked warrantee on all their stuff. You break it you get a new one. Clayton has some sweet leaf pack as well.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to my thread, had to work another 13 hr day today (dumb F-22s, awesome plane but they ruined my weekend) Anyway back to the issue at hand

sounds like you got the wrong piieces

Negative, it's stamped right on the springs I checked them as soon as I recieved them.

HD Offroad shackle boxes fix your problems.

Brian makes some high quality stuff, but those provide an extra 1.5" lift, so I sould have to buy different leaf springs anyway.

Bought directly from RE, I ordered them over three months ago, And I also have no option of taking them off. My rusty old CJ5 is too broken down after 2 months of daily driving it (it's a backup vehicle not a daily driver), and the old rusty's 4.5" springs I took off the XJ are in too bad shape to ever put back on.

I'm not complaining about their customer service, I'm sure it's great. I'm complaining about their quality control, a quick search proves I'm not the first person with this EXACT problem. Regardless of if their customer service even paid for these to be shipped back and sent me new ones, I'd still never order from them again. If I'm paying $190 per springs I shouldn't have TWO dimensional issues with them. And since both springs have the same problem, unless they've made a new batch since I ordered it wouldn't fix anything.

Compared to Deaver race pack the RE HD 5.5 I put on my Jeep the pins are about a inch further forward, they are longer and I did cut the rear frame rail to provide clearance for them to move in and out. I am not using boomerang shackles though so I "HAD" to cut the rail out to make it work.

This EXACT problem.

Since my rear crossmember is already significantly cracked from the weight of the tire carrier bumper slamming around back there, I'm going to just rebuild the whole back end of the frame, probably make a 1/4" thick crossmember, plated down along the frame with 1/8" on the outside all the way to the main frame stiffeners. Build in new heavy duty shackle boxes with the hole about 1" farther back. It's a lot of work, but I won't have to take the jeep off the road for more than about two days since I can build most of it on the bench, and it'll solve two problems at once. Hope to be fixed by KOH

Last edited:
Bought directly from RE, I ordered them over three months ago, And I also have no option of taking them off. My rusty old CJ5 is too broken down after 2 months of daily driving it (it's a backup vehicle not a daily driver), and the old rusty's 4.5" springs I took off the XJ are in too bad shape to ever put back on.

I'm not complaining about their customer service, I'm sure it's great. I'm complaining about their quality control, a quick search proves I'm not the first person with this EXACT problem. Regardless of if their customer service even paid for these to be shipped back and sent me new ones, I'd still never order from them again. If I'm paying $190 per springs I shouldn't have TWO dimensional issues with them. And since both springs have the same problem, unless they've made a new batch since I ordered it wouldn't fix anything.

You sound like the type of person who should just get a little Honda or Toyota with a good warranty and dealer loaner options for when the oil needs changed. Probably not a good idea to own modified vehicles. ;)

Had the same thing happen to me when I bought there 4.5" leaf and put a 1.5" shackle on it. My shackle angle is straight, maybe even a little forward and there was nothing to do about it, and the ride was harsh as shit!

You sound like the type of person who should just get a little Honda or Toyota with a good warranty and dealer loaner options for when the oil needs changed. Probably not a good idea to own modified vehicles. ;)

So because I am dissapointed in the quality of a product from a normally reputable company, but don't have the large amounts of time required to deal with their mistake right now, you decide to personally insult me?

Had the same thing happen to me when I bought there 4.5" leaf and put a 1.5" shackle on it. My shackle angle is straight, maybe even a little forward and there was nothing to do about it, and the ride was harsh as shit!

Same deal with my lift, although everything is perfect when loaded down with gear. Rides like a dream with 100-200 lbs of junk in the trunk.

Same with the front short arm. It was slightly harsh with the stock bumper but now I have a winch bumper and winch everything has smoothed out considerably.

My 3.5" leafs haven't been much of a problem except for not being a good rate for gofast.

$10 that RE says tough shit, longer leafs are better blah blah just cut your rear frame so the shackle can move blah blah. i understand your frustration. i wasn never really happy with my 3.5" leafs. i would still call them, send them pictures etc to plead you case. maybe they will make note of it. idk. worth a shot.

Bahahaha that was a good lolzzzzz. Haha.ha...ha.:laugh:

Still not sure why this is being made such a big deal of just because a small install issue. RE far exceeds Rusty's and numerous other BS out there. Gotta stick up for my RE ;) Good quality stuff IMHO.

P.S. - GL with install. Sledge and cut off wheel are always good install tools.

Back