• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end vibration in 2wd but not in 4wd

pfcstone777

NAXJA Forum User
I have a lifted 2000 XJ with a RE 3.5'' lift with 35'' KM2s, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS front and rear. Driveline angles are spot on. My problem is I have a vibration starting at about 45mph and it just gets worse as I speed up. When I shift into 4wd, the vibration is gone but when i shift back to 2wd, the vibration is still gone until I take my foot off the gas and then the vibration happens again. The vibration is not in the steering wheel, but mainly under the seat and in the floorboard.

What could cause this?

Have you checked your front drivshaft angles?

Have you checked all your U joints for play? Unit bearings? Pinion nut? Could also be a bad trans mount.

I have a lifted 2000 XJ with a RE 3.5'' lift with 35'' KM2s, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS front and rear. Driveline angles are spot on. My problem is I have a vibration starting at about 45mph and it just gets worse as I speed up. When I shift into 4wd, the vibration is gone but when i shift back to 2wd, the vibration is still gone until I take my foot off the gas and then the vibration happens again. The vibration is not in the steering wheel, but mainly under the seat and in the floorboard.

What could cause this?

To narrow down the problem.... I would remove the front driveshaft and see if the vibration is still there or gone....
If the vibration is gone... then one of the U joints in the front ds is going bad....

Could be the slip part of the Front Driveshaft also, I had one go bad because of wear.

There is one more thing that could cause the vibrations....; an out of balance driveshaft.
Since you have Tom Woods driveshafts; Tom is a really nice guy so I would contact him to see what he can do for you....

Back