• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FRONT Disc Brake Upgrade?

I appreciate everyone's detailed input - but more on the Explorer rotors. It seems they clear the WJ knuckle with XJ hubs- but what year rotors? The same correspondent in another forum wasn't as concerned with the 1/4" spacers to align the u-joints - they used XJ hubs and let the inboard axles hang into the differential deeper. It cleared their locker, barely, and they had no breakage of the u-joint being out of alignment (not in my comfort range.) I'm thinking the outer axle should be located on the hub "properly" - "pull" the shaft 1/4" further out of the hub, not space the hub out further from the ball joints, which increases the scrub radius.

Another search showed the owner used older 2-piece XJ knuckles, modified the WJ caliper mounts - and bolted them on. No new spacers or hubs. it would be ironic if the older XJ's have the preferred knuckles for an easier mod.

cal said:
Oh, I'm documenting mine all right .. but mines taking weeks, not hours. ;) I'm going down to bare tube, sleeving the tube in a second layer of 1/4", putting the knuckles back on rotated for caster, moving the coil buckets back to 0*, moving the lca mounts up and back a bit for clearance, a few more mods here, a few more mods there, etc, etc. Granted did his WJ mod in a bit more than a weekend fairly easily.

-C

Just to keep this current, I'm still working on mine. :) I am however photographing the hell out of the process, and if i get unlazy and learn some HTML, will do a pretty good writeup.

I started off by talking to alot of guys who have done different dana 30 mods, and made a list of all the "I wish i had done ....."

Granted, I could have bought a currie hp44, installed it, removed it and taken it back to have the defects fixed, installed it, taken it back to have the locker fixed, returned it for a new one and broken that in .. with less time or money invested than I have spent already ... we'll see how it turns out.

-C

TIROD , I have a early xj ,84 model, where did you find the article on modifying the wj bracket and bolting it on?

Why don't one of you machinist types carve up an adapter to put Toyota V6 front calipers on an XJ? 4 piston calipers.....good stuff! I'd buy a pair!-------Hans

I nearly done with mine conversion. Just waiting on some bolts to come in and some time to finish it all off.

DiscBrakes%20063.jpg

DiscBrakes%20059.jpg

Using PBR twin pot calipers from a local Ford with 300 mm slotted rotors.

DiscBrakes%20068.jpg

Got the brackets laser cut with a few extras to sell!

Gojeep - That is a sweet setup! Was there any modifications to the spindle or did you build the bracket to fit exsiting holes?

Gojeep said:
I nearly done with mine conversion. Just waiting on some bolts to come in and some time to finish it all off.

DiscBrakes%20063.jpg

DiscBrakes%20059.jpg

Using PBR twin pot calipers from a local Ford with 300 mm slotted rotors.

DiscBrakes%20068.jpg

Got the brackets laser cut with a few extras to sell!
That's pretty cool! What Ford, here in the states, could we find those calipers on to use with your brackets (expensive to ship here?)-----Hans

Oatmeal said:
That's pretty cool! What Ford, here in the states, could we find those calipers on to use with your brackets (expensive to ship here?)-----Hans
I think PBR's are on Mustang Cobras

A local guy here in So Cal tried those on a TJ and didn't find them to work as well as the WJ brakes. For us in the states, the WJ conversion isn't too costly and you can get sports car like braking and better steering out of the swap.

For Marcus, being down under in Oz, I'd expect WJ stuff is fairly expensive, so the PBR's seem like a great choice. Can't wait to hear how they work.

xj_mike said:
Gojeep - That is a sweet setup! Was there any modifications to the spindle or did you build the bracket to fit exsiting holes?

The old caliper mount has to be cut from the knuckle but that is all the modification needed to it. No steering changes either like the WJ conversion. It bolts on using the existing three bolt holes that hold the hub in place with longer button head 12.9 grade bolts. I did the development work for a company here that sells conversion up-grade kits for the local Ford Falcons and Holden's here ( use the same PBR caliper but a different bracket ) ( like want you call a Pontiac GTO which have PBR calipers as well ). There is talk of selling the complete kits in the USA including brand new calipers, rotors, pads, extended braided brake lines and the brackets and bolts for around the $500 USD plus shipping but have to wait on the finial price and if anyone will take on the distributorship.

The WJ caliper mount mod was a post in another forum - still searching .... I included it because I wanted this thread to be a more comprehensive listing of all the ways it could be done - or done cheapest. I remember it from JU or Jeepforum.

Back