• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Axle - CV or U-joint?

glub

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

My garage is replacing a front axle u-joint (Dana 30). That ABS gear thing broke (the thing that the sensor reads), so they ordered a replacement.

What came was a complete half-shaft unit, with CV & boot, the ABS tooth thing, and the shaft that mates to the hub, etc...

Mech. said the parts place said the ABS thing alone wasn't available and that the complete CV unit was the replacement part...

Does this sound right? I'm not even sure if that CV thing would fit. Is that a ZJ part or something?

I have a 1995 XJ, 4.0, Selec-trac, AW4, ABS.

The CV is really a Limited ZJ thing. I don't think it's just on the limited, but I don't XJs ever came with CV joints, only u-joints. If you need a whole new shaft try to get one with a Spicer 297/760 u-joints (95-1/2+ years had these). So many times parts are mixed up because people mix up Cherokees with Grand Cherokees and think the "Grand" is a trim level instead of a all together different vehicle with it's own trim levels. I'd send it back and get the larger u-joint I mentioned above. There is a rumor that Select Trac equiped XJs already have the larger u-joints and you might also have it based on when your XJ was made in the year (early to late etc).

I've had 3 Grand Cherokees (2 Laredo's and 1 Limited) and the Limited had CV axle shafts and driveshafts. I don't think XJs ever came with CVs.

Troy

Mambeu said:
1984-86 XJs had CVs; all other years have u-joints.

Thanks for the info. I don't really know much about those year considering you could get a 4.0L/AW4 from 87'+. I think the CV is really tied to the quadratec NP249 t-case that came with all V8s and some 6s. The CVs might be viewed from the factory as a luxury item, but to us wheeler they are crap. :)

Lawn Cher' said:
Troy, please define succinct.

Being to the point was never one of my strong points, I much rather tell everyone my lifestory and hit on the topic in a roundabout way.

Thanks for teaching me a new word! :D

Nice avatar Cher, where did you dig that one up???

Back