• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Questions

SV-BDN

NAXJA Forum User
For starters my XJ is a 1993 Sport, 5 spd and ABS with a D30 up front and a 8.25 in the rear. Pretty sure it has the upcountry package as it came with all the factory skids, a limited slip in the rear. I have never measured the lift, but it seems to be all factory original despite 250K +/-.

This front D30 would be a 27 spline with 5-297x u-joints?

The rear axle is certainly an 8.25, not a D35, despite the ABS. I can post a picture later. This 8.25 would be a C-clip axle with 27 splines as well?

I have been told, but cannot confirm that ZJ axle shafts for the D30 that had u-joints came with larger u-joints? Is it worth tracking these down?

Better check again, I just checked several sources and every single one said abs ONLY came on the d35. Are there tone rings on the shafts? Or is it an 8.25 swapped in and the abs is just non functional?

I just checked again, and as soon as get the photos off my phone I'll upload them. Now I'm not sure if its an 8.25 or D35... The diff cover looks like a 8.25, but then there are some photos of D35s with that same type of cover.

I'm starting to think it is indeed a D35 based on the lack of an apparent flat on the diff housing. Cover really looks like a 8.25, and it definitely has ABS with rear wheel speed sensors which are connected and functional.

If it is an 8.25 I want to see where the ABS connections are.

I find it hard to believe.

Bottom line is if it has ABS it's a D35!

If you have ABS shafts with the tone ring, then you have the larger u-joints. No idea on GC u-joint sizes.

ABS equipped XJs only came factory with a D35 rear. If you have a 8.25, it was swapped and your ABS no longer works.

8.25 has a flat spot on the housing and a rubber plug for the fill on the diff cover. D35 has a threaded plug and a rounder bottom casing.

If you have ABS shafts with the tone ring, then you have the larger u-joints. No idea on GC u-joint sizes.

ABS equipped XJs only came factory with a D35 rear. If you have a 8.25, it was swapped and your ABS no longer works.

8.25 has a flat spot on the housing and a rubber plug for the fill on the diff cover. D35 has a threaded plug and a rounder bottom casing.

Not quite, my d35 in my 95 has a rubber plug

D35 has a threaded plug and a rounder bottom casing.

The older non-c-clip version of the D35 has a threaded fill plug. The 1990 and later c-clip version has the rubber butt plug. The leak-prone rubber plug is also located higher up on the cover as wheel bearings are lubed by the gear oil, versus sealed bearings on the non-clip version. So don't get any bright ideas about swapping to the older cover to get a threaded plug.

Also, as a side note, the "c" in Dana 35c does not stand for C-clip, it stands for custom. They are custom because they are shipped incomplete from the Dana factory to Chrysler and Chrysler completes the build.

Back