• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frank Z and the guys - going to the dark side!

boomer1

NAXJA Forum User

Hey Frank and anyone else that can help. I'm posting here, because I appreciate and trust your opinions

Let me first say we still have the Cherokee, but looking for some advise!

Getting ready to send John off to college and was looking for something inexpense to let him take to school to drive. Soooooo - we found a 1988 Wrangler. Really seems to been in pretty good shape, 6 cyl, 5 speed, body good shape - no rust, hard top and doors, new brakes, and 110,000 miles on the clock.

Here's the kicker - the clutch went out, he had it replaced, shop did crappy job, had the clutch replaced again. Shortly, the transmission started acting up, he took it in and it was toast. The guy didn't want to put any more money in it, so it was towed home.
The transmission is in pieces in a box in the back! Needless to say, without a bell housing and tranny, can't fire it up to see how it runs, but the guy said it was running just fine until the tranny went out, about 2 weeks ago.

I understand the tranny was junk, but we were thinking about picking it up and trying to put a tranny in it to get it running. The transfer case is still complete and supposeable is good.

Not planning on wheeling it hard, maybe just a little and mostly for camping. Though about just picking up a used Puego 5 speed at pull-n-save and put it back together.

I don't know, but I can also pick up an AX-15 out of a 91 cherokee for free, not sure if it will fit.

The price is good, figured if we can't get it running, we could still sell it and get our money back, but would really like to make it run, so John has something to drive around school.

Sorry, I know it's going to the dark side, but any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe if we are lucky, we might find someone in the north part of Denver that has some knowledge about trannys and be willing to help us put it back together some weekend.

Thanks to everyone!

Back