• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame stiffener opinions?? Really needed

Anybody know if these stiffeners interfere with any of the Rusty's skid plates?

I would assume the answer to this question is yes. I have the Skid Row tcase skid which is very similar to the Rusty's. Seems to me there is a potential fitment problem with any implement that attaches to the framerail afer installation of a stiffener. Whether cutting the stiffeners up to reinstall these skids/rockers compromises the stiffener's strength to an unacceptable level would be a good question that I don't have an answer for. Seems to havre worked for srmitchel though.

I installs sky hd offroad stiffeners after my Ajs sliders. We cut slots in the stiffeners, so they could fit without blocking the holes. We welded the stiffener with the rails removed, and then reinstalled the slider rails, with tack welds at the frame for extra strength.

Were the slots just narrow enough to leave the bolt holes accessible, or did you cut them wide enough for the entire feet of the sliders to mount up directly on (and flush with) the framerail? If you cut them only wide enough for access to the bolt holes in the framerail, did you have trouble getting the AJ's sliders to fit back on the jeep?

Since the topic is at hand, I’m wondering if you guys could name a threshold build level below which frame stiffeners aren’t really essential and above which they are. Let’s say for typically easy/moderate wheeling with the occasional challenge of say, a Poison Spider Mesa. The reason I ask is that I am on 31’s with a front frame mounted rigid aftermarket bumper, class 3 trailer hitch (frame mounted) in back, and AJ’s sliders, and I feel pretty solid and see no tell-tale signs of a problem like poor door fitment. I don’t really want to grind off the paint and undercoat from my frame rails if I don’t have to, not to mention my complete lack of welding skills and equipment.

Also, I already have a CROK reinforcement for the frame rail where the steering box attaches. I’m assuming I’d have to take that off to get one of the manufactured front braces like the HD Offroad on (yes/no?).

I’ve read were the use lockers would add stress to the framerails, but I’m having a hard time wrapping my brains around that idea. Any opinions there?

Good question... Everyone probaby had different experience... I've wheeled my XJ for seven years with 4-1/2" lift, rear Detroit and front ARB. Lockers do add more stress simply because when you hang up, it keeps pulling rather than just spin a single tire..

I'm not hard core, but do moderate - extreme trails in this area. I've been to Moab, and Hell's Revenge is not unlike what we do around here from a difficulty level. I try to wheel about 6 or more times a year, and some years are definately more. I have had NO cracking issues anywhere. The ONLY issue was the front of the rear leaf hangers trying to come up through the floor... My "reinforcements" were similar to yours up until I added an exo cage last year.. I'm sure all the rust hasn't helped either (rust belt).

1ton15.jpg

Since I went up to about 7" with one tons and 37s so reinforcement was decided on.

A good friend gave me 1/8" stampings that were about 4x4 angles with three holes. Other than taking lots of wire to attach, these worked awesome. For the flat areas, simply hammered them flat, then overlaid so they went under the rail. Thus regions are 1/4" thick. Should be fine.

1ton33.jpg

On the driver side around the gas fill, simply tied in some square tube. Tied everything to the trailer hitch. (the tin around the hoses is just a spatter gard).

1ton25.jpg

Same for front..

1ton54.jpg

For the center, did a single layer of stampings, then tied this to the rockers that are welded to the pinch seam every 6". This was all plated with 3/16". Main reason is that I didn't want center of the frame to be crush zone in the event of an accident.

1ton73.jpg

1ton74.jpg

I've yet to wheel it, but have done couple hundred miles of road (not done with build yet). It's definately much stiffer.

Keep in mind, I have NO fancy tools. Everything has been done in my back yard (yup) with hand tools. All you need is imagination and will power. I'm also an old coot, so you young wipper-snappers have no excuse at all! :)

Most of the guys i wheel with dont run them. I run a front bumper with tie in brackets, aj's sliders, a custom tcase skid/ bellypan, and i just ordered a rear bumper, but i do have a hitch and a gas tank skid. They are on my list to do, but i think my unibody is just fine for now. The HD frame stifferners are on my never-ending list.

I'm not much into extreme wheeling (yet, as my XJ has been my DD so far), but I've got cracking around the bumper holes out back. I haven't looked for other cracking yet.

^^^ if you ever have your front fenders off, check your A pillars!!! I wonder how much stiffeners help this area in the unibody, if any? I know a cage or exocage would be the best for it! (in this area)

Were the slots just narrow enough to leave the bolt holes accessible, or did you cut them wide enough for the entire feet of the sliders to mount up directly on (and flush with) the framerail? If you cut them only wide enough for access to the bolt holes in the framerail, did you have trouble getting the AJ's sliders to fit back on the jeep?
The slots were cut to fit around the bolts only.
Pic from when they were just tacked on.
Novemberjunk069.jpg

Novemberjunk070.jpg

And done.
Stiffeners005.jpg

Stiffeners007.jpg

Note the very bling weld through primer.

Last edited:
Back