• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FRAM Oil Filters

I just bought purilators pure one filter which is supposed to be there "better/newer" filter. Has anyone ran a purilator with luck???

The thing that sucks i that K+N now make oil filters and i found one at auto zone and am thinking of returning the purilator for the K+N.

What do you guys reccomend here??

Thanks.

NAPA filters are made by WIX. (numbering system is even similar) So far I have had 3 Frams collapse on me personally and had to tear down and rebuild numerous other AMC motors that had collapsed Fram filters. My buddy (john at Wagoneers.com) complained he suddenly had no oil pressure in a Jeep he just bought. I told him to look and see if there was an orange filter. There was and replacement of it (even with a matching Fram) brought the pressure right back up.
He was going to open the old filter up and post pics of it on his site.

I have been an auto professional for 10 years, I have seen people who wont run any other filter but fram and people who will make you take it off if you put it on. My point is that all brands have a love/hate following. Wether it be cause the old man used em, to buddies recomendations, to whatever story there is, all of these filters have a minimum standard to adhear to. Some companies follow the bare minimum, some go the extra step to make a quality product. My father has used fram filters and havoline oil all his life and has had good results with them. I have cut open every filter I could get my hands on to inspect the internal construction. Fram to me seemed middle of the road. My favorite is the purolator pure one, but to me the best value seems to be a wix or baldwin.
In my opinion, you get what you pay for, for the most part, just like brake pads, tires, batteries, most automotive parts are like that. There are better grades than others and all have to meet the minimum standard, so they all work to a point. How much you wanna pay ?

I use Puralator pure ones solely with Mobil 1 150k with no issues. However, my best friend sweared by Fram oil filters until he starting getting low oil pressure at about 130k on his V6 Dakota. When we took the main bearings out during the rebuild we found fibers from the oil filter in the main bearings. We are convinced this is what killed the oil pressure. Needless to say he now uses puralators solely. This is just my experience.

BA

An update on my post. I just changed both vehicles oil again. Mine was 1200 over my normal of 3K (98% freeway miles so I don't get to excited on gettin it exactly at 3K). The ZJ was about 900 till. I put Fram TG's back on this time with some Valvaline High Milage oil. Now I'm not compairing Frams on this post but a Wal-Mart Supertech V/s a Puralator one. The biggest thing I noticed was the difference in the oil color at the time of the change. The ZJ with the Supertech was black at -900, and the XJ was light brown with 1200+. One thing to take note of is the ZJ is a 5.2 with 98K on the ticker, and my XJ's 4.0 only has 71, 000 on it. I dont think its a big enough difference in mileage to matter, but I do think the ZJ had less than ideal care from it's original owner. Now with the Frams back on I have noticed that my XJ has slightly lower oil pressure at idle than it did with the Puralator.

scoobyxj said:
An update on my post. I just changed both vehicles oil again. Mine was 1200 over my normal of 3K (98% freeway miles so I don't get to excited on gettin it exactly at 3K). The ZJ was about 900 till. I put Fram TG's back on this time with some Valvaline High Milage oil. Now I'm not compairing Frams on this post but a Wal-Mart Supertech V/s a Puralator one. The biggest thing I noticed was the difference in the oil color at the time of the change. The ZJ with the Supertech was black at -900, and the XJ was light brown with 1200+. -cut-
Y'know, just the color of the oil alone is not really an indicator of its actual condition. Good point though, you need a good filter and good oil and regular changes.

Read the study linked in the beggining of this inane thread. MOPAR is just a relabled Wix, Fram, or any other number of brands that Chrysler happened to be sourcing at the time.

Back