• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fowled spark plugs

Re: Running rich

Wrong spark plugs, or Bad O2 sensor heater power relay, or damaged O2 sensor wires, damaged by the exhaust manifold or front drive shaft, bad O2 sensor. Only use Bosch for the 1988 Renix O2 sensor, they invented them. Test the O2 sensor and power to the O2 sensor and the O2 sensor ground. Here is a guide thread on Renix and HO Jeep O2 sensor and wire and relay tests

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1012701&highlight=oxygen+sensor+test

Running rich

d44c3a05e917dbe764f3c3725612d14c.jpg

Here is hose from throttle body to map

Map is reading 4.5 volts from center port with key in on position,
Which should be 4.7 volts
And 5 volts from 5 volt side with key off...

Bad map correct?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Not far enough off to call the MAP bad yet, not imho.

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/jeep/4.0L/how-to-test-the-map-sensor-1

You need a calibrated vacuum gauge reading and the engine running MAP reading to see if it is a problem. But if the O2 sensor is working properly, a MAP sensor that is biased by .2 Volts will be irrelevant as the computer uses the O2 sensor to control the rich/lean air to fuel ratio. The MAP is mostly important for millisecond response to rapid acceleration and deceleration.

The O2 sensor allows the ECU to respond while cruising, and idle to perfect the air/fuel ratio as it allows the ECU to see the results of the last milliseconds of fuel feed, while the MAP and TPS sense movement of the throttle and throttle plate before the O2 sensor would see it. So the MAP is all about rapidly increasing the fuel flow for acceleration and deceleration, not for controlling the cruise and idle fuel rates. During decel and accel the fuel is rich anyway iirc.

That vacuum plastic tube in the throttle body that feeds vacuum to the MAP looks iffy for sure. Edit: In fact the tube is in the wrong hole, so the MAP is not seeing vacuum.

See the pictures here:

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/broken-map-sensor-vacuum-line-34121/

The top hole is a blind dead end. Your black fitting may be upside down as well. Make sure the hole is open and in the bottom fitting of the throttle body,

Since it looks like you have no vac to the MAP, the O2 sensor may not be able to help the ECU ever get into closed loop operation, thus its running rich all the time. OR YOU have an O2 sensor issue as well!!!!

Last edited:

This is how it should look. The top hole is a dead end that serves no purpose. So the question is did the rubber fitting get turned upside down or did the plastic tube get moved. Also You want and air tight seal on that tube connection to the throttle body!!!!

225490d1388608639t-broken-map-sensor-vacuum-line-tbody.jpg

Running rich

Got it running, got to stopsign and she died and wouldn't start, had to get towed home...

Below is pictures of it running before...
Everyome I pull plugs they are dry and black, champion spark plugs...

Any thoughts

Idels this low
88937cbdb56b2b3028dfcfef5552e876.jpg

Smoke from here
cd66a433044f9c82c5f495714b50b37f.jpg

Are you cranking it? It looks to be running a bit hot. And 4.5v is fine not running. The voltage will decrease with increased elevation.

How is your exhaust? Possible it's plugged? You can drop it and see if there's any change.

OMIX-ADA doesn't make spark plugs. What brand and number plugs do you have. My 88 runs Champions RC9YC.

So it started fine *before* you did the tune up? If so, double check everything you did.

Is that really your coolant temp?

Did you fix the vacuum line to the MAP sensor from the throttle body yet?

Truck will not start now, after taking it around the block and she died at the stopsign and wouldn't start back up...

Has. Champon spark plugs that keep getting fouled up

Other than the rubber plug, nothing goes in the top hole.

Yes I knw, he has the MAP vacuum line in the top hole :eek: per his photo he posted, but I must be talking to myself. Told him twice to move it to the bottom hole on the throttle body where it belongs, and twice I got no reply.

That vacume line was placed there by previous owner, I did move it to the bottom hole,
I apologize for not directly responding to you.
But she still won't stay running. Stillfoulimg plugs I got champion copper plugs and still doing it.

She will make it about 200-500 meters then she will die and not start back up.

Shea doesn't have an o2 sensor but I can't imagine that would be the sole cause of her issues as plenty of XJs out there are running ok without them...

The TPS was low, so I adjusted it...
Did the MAP test as per one of your suggestion, i posted the results and was told it was ok...

Any thoughts or suggestions on what I should check...

Seriously ???????

"Shea doesn't have an o2 sensor but I can't imagine that would be the sole cause of her issues as plenty of XJs out there are running ok without them..."

:banghead:

Does it have a Cat converter?

try with the throttle wide open. it will switch into flood clearing mode. and disable the injectors.

when you first turn the key to the on position it reads the TPS, MAP, Coolant and manifold temp sensors.

when you start cranking the engine it starts reading the speed crank sensor, cam sensor and battery voltage.

the oxygen sensor is not utilized until it starts sending a valid signal.

my best bet would be to try and hold the throttle open just a little bit. and try to start it. if the engine cant get air because the IAC is sticky or stuck the engine will just dump fuel thinking its getting air.

also your temp gauge was pretty high. hows the ground strap from the head to the firewall?

Back