• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford Explorer front axle?

tayman said:
how long would a D35 hold up with 35's under moderate wheeling?

If it'll last at least a little while, I may go for the 8.8, and get a front axle later.

not very.

a poor fellow in my club blew through 3 shafts and a locker on his first 2 runs on 35" pro comp all terrains. they didn't even break in what i would call i high stress situation.

well alrighty then!!!

anyone else have a different experience? I don't wheel super hard (yet:firedevil).....

ktm racer 419 said:
not very.

a poor fellow in my club blew through 3 shafts and a locker on his first 2 runs on 35" pro comp all terrains. they didn't even break in what i would call i high stress situation.
I just noticed you quoted me on the D35. I just edited it to the D30...

tayman said:
how long would a D30 hold up with 35's under moderate wheeling?

If it'll last at least a little while, I may go for the 8.8, and get a front axle later.

In the Sierras? Forever.

so it's generally only the rear axles that break? I thought It was kinda both equally.....? How about if I did some more rocky stuff?

Last edited:
tayman said:
ok, you're gonna have to get rid of the acronym..... I'm still working on those...

0702or_03_z+desolate_motorsports+traction_beam.jpg

AKA YUK!!!!!!!

Last edited:
yeah, I DEFINATELY don't want to mess with that...

well, to hijack my own thread.....

If I was going to lock one axle, what would it be. front or rear?

now back to the origional topic...

it there a specific model, or type of explorer that came with a limited slip, and or deep gears? I think 4.10 is the deepest stock gearing, but it there a standard to be able to find them easily? I'm still not sure if I want 33's or 35's, but I think the 4.10's would be good for 33's if I'm not mistaken...

If I can find an 8.8 with 4.10's I'd only have to re-gear the front...

(wow, that was repetative...)

Lock the rear and forget the 4:10's go deeper like 4.56. Put in a powertrax no slip and buy Genuine ford gears from Summit for a quick easy set up. You can get 4:88 but the dana 30 front winds up with a tiny pinion gear.

what I'm looking for is to have gears that I could maybe just run 33's on, and only re-gear the front?

It's either that or wait till I have the cash to re-gear both... and lock one... or both... or do that later..... aww, fudge... decision making sucks...

tayman said:
If I was going to lock one axle, what would it be. front or rear?

performance-wise off road, to do one only you will get a lot more bang for your buck with a locked front. Not a good idea on the street tho without some kind of disconnect

Not a good idea on the street tho without some kind of disconnect

yeah, totally... I know why too... I'm thinking I would love OX lockers eventually, but since E-lockers are cheaper, maybe those... of course, nothing comes without enough money!

no. there is no easy way to id ls diffs. from looking at the vehicles, if you got to trs, they have 8.8 build codes that teach you how to id them there is a build sticker on the frame, u need to decode it, which is easy. 8.8 with 4.10's and a ls might look something like this

R8.8 410 ls

but go look at that site. it has all the 8.8 info u need plus there are multiple sites around that have pics showing the swap, do some searches.

Yeah, I found the codes... I was just wondering if it came standard on something...

I don't know that it comes standard, but every 8.8 I've put in from a V8 explorer has had the lsd.

What's funny is everyone keeps talking about the 4.10 axle, and I have yet to see one! I'm sure they exist, but I have done probably 8 of these swaps in the last couple years. Most were 3.73 with a lsd, there were a couple with 3.55s, and both were open. I will note I haven't gone looking for one either. All of them I have worked on were going 33s or larger, so they wanted 4.56 or lower anyway.

If I had to guess, I'd say 4.10s come in the off road package, and maybe just the V6 :dunno:. There should be a sticker with the axle code, there's one on my F-150 on the B pillar. I'm sure someone on an explorer forum could tell you for sure, and how to ID it.

Other than #s, you can tell if it's a LSD by the manual method. Hold the pinion stationary, and turn the other side. If is spins the opposite direction, it's open. If it wants to spin the pinion (axles spinning same direction) it's got a lsd.

It's easier with a lsd, but you can get the gear ratio by spinning the axles one time and counting the number of times the pinion rotates. The important thing here is to make sure both shafts spin at the same time, in the same direction. Otherwise the spiders will rotate instead of the carrier/ring gear.

Or you can just take the cover off and look :)

Last edited:
Or you can just take the cover off and look :)

that one's better...

Like you said there should be a tag... and like I said, I was just hoping there was a standard. and again like I already said I'd like to do 35's, which means I have to re-gear both axles. so it may be a while till I get this done...

tayman said:
what I'm looking for is to have gears that I could maybe just run 33's on, and only re-gear the front?

It's either that or wait till I have the cash to re-gear both... and lock one... or both... or do that later..... aww, fudge... decision making sucks...

you will have quite a bit of noise if you only re-gear one axle the first time you put it into 4wd and then all your hard work will go to crap when it blows apart.

if your going to regear make sure to do both at the same time.

why not buy an aussie for the front?

Unearthed said:
you will have quite a bit of noise if you only re-gear one axle the first time you put it into 4wd and then all your hard work will go to crap when it blows apart.

just don't use 4wd and you can do 1 at a time. Alot of people pull the shaft for added security. and X2 on the aussie its like 250 bucks.

Unearthed said:

Yeah, I'm aware of that... I was kinda thinking that if I can find a 8.8 with 4.10's, and a limited slip, then I can re-gear ONLY the front to match the rear, and run 33's. and maybe do an aussie locker up front. And maybe lock the rear later...

How does this sound to everyone? Hasta

Back