• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 6.0s

I just drove/rode 5200 miles in an 09 Chevy 3500 dually with a 42 ft gooseneck to California and back...the interior in my 08 F450 is nicer than the chevy...

The cummins is a nice motor, too bad it comes wrapped in a dodge...

The perfect truck I can't afford yet, but would be an F650...a cummins with an allison wrapped up in a mostly ford (at least Ford interior) package...

My 08 F450 is an awesome truck. Its problem is the 4.88 gears causing horried fuel economy...

mac 'can't afford to put fuel in it' gyvr

I just drove/rode 5200 miles in an 09 Chevy 3500 dually with a 42 ft gooseneck to California and back...the interior in my 08 F450 is nicer than the chevy...

The cummins is a nice motor, too bad it comes wrapped in a dodge...

The perfect truck I can't afford yet, but would be an F650...a cummins with an allison wrapped up in a mostly ford (at least Ford interior) package...

My 08 F450 is an awesome truck. Its problem is the 4.88 gears causing horried fuel economy...

mac 'can't afford to put fuel in it' gyvr

the F650 and higher series are nice trucks. I just got done converting two 5.9 ISB's into running engine stands at work. scrapped out the cabs, hoods, and axles. one was a 16' dump that the PO bounced the bed on when it was up, frame bent straight to the ground. the other hit something so hard in the front left that the axle ended up behind the cab...

but yes, that would be the perfect truck. especially if they could be had in a quad cab configuration (haven't seen one yet so IDK if they have them).

the F650 and higher series are nice trucks. I just got done converting two 5.9 ISB's into running engine stands at work. scrapped out the cabs, hoods, and axles. one was a 16' dump that the PO bounced the bed on when it was up, frame bent straight to the ground. the other hit something so hard in the front left that the axle ended up behind the cab...

but yes, that would be the perfect truck. especially if they could be had in a quad cab configuration (haven't seen one yet so IDK if they have them).

I've seen them in quad cabs...and even in motorhome configurations...what I haven't seen is many that have a live front axle...

mac 'go big or go home :) 'gyvr

I have an '05 F250 Lariat. 87k miles. I went to Moab and back (via Ohio) with a 34 foot bumper pull and two jeeps.

I've had the HPOP replaced under warranty (no start issue, replaced with a redesigned part) and I've had the FICM replaced under warranty (no glow plugs, replaced with same part).

Other than that, I've had no issues. I got 11 mpg to Moab and back. i get 13 pulling one jeep. I have a programmer and some custom tunes. It's been dyno'd with just a program at 384 hp and 711 tq at the wheels.

I detune it to 40 over stock for DD duties and 80 over when I'm towing with the exhaust brake option.

The big reason I bought a Ford is because the interior on a chevy isn't as nice and I heard horror stories about the Dodge's reliability. I didn't want to change wheel bearings and brakes every 60k miles.

It seems as though the internet is a place where people complain, but rarely praise. So you hear a lot of bad stuff about a 6.0, but never anything from a happy owner.

Anything to substantiate that? If not, it's just internet hearsay.

The cylinder heads were redesigned for '05 for that specific problem. I've owned the truck for 60k miles.

You buy gauges, you monitor them and you don't do anything stupid.

Fact of the matter is that most people don't pay attention, nor do the expect that they need to. this is a problem when the vehicle is already prone to having issues to begin with.

The cylinder heads were redesigned for '05 for that specific problem. I've owned the truck for 60k miles.

Just because your truck doesn't have the problems that many did doesn't make the 6.0 a good motor. If you take time to read the thread there are people with real world experience posting up about it.

Congratulations on having one of the few good ones, but I will never own a 6.0.

Anything to substantiate replacing wheel bearings and brakes every 60k on a dodge?

I have 30k on $80 spicer ball joints that are holding up fine, factory steering linkage finally taking a dump at 126k, and I added a double shear trackbar which I will admit should be done.

Never heard of brakes going out fast.

I guess its funny that neither myself nor my friend have had problems with them?

Only time I replaced one was because I destroyed it taking it off to change ujoints and ball joints at 96k.

I've only *heard* of people having problems. Most of what I see is lack of torquing the hub nut to spec and/or running 35s/37s with less backspacing than stock.

I am correct for the topic of discussion.
I suppose the world revolves around you, because its center is directly below your feet?

Sorry, you just came off a bit... arrogant saying that.

I replaced the front end parts on my 2006 Megacab at 80 or 90k. Hubs, brakes, ujoints, both driveshafts...

Rosco has a 2000 F350 with 180k on it...original driveshafts...

There are millions of 6.0s on the road that have had very few problems, you only heard about the ones that suck. I have a buddy with an 03 6.0 Excursion, its been lemon lawed and he still bought it. Drives the tires off it and loves it.

Everyone has an opinion on diesels, even people that have never owned them, its amazing.

mac 'I read it on the internet it must be true' gyvr

Everyone has an opinion on diesels, even people that have never owned them, its amazing.

mac 'I read it on the internet it must be true' gyvr

x2 on both counts. Cracks me up every time.

Replaced the u-joints on my rear driveshaft at 120k only because I already had it out.

Both factory u-joints were intact. Front driveshaft can be ignored since I have vacuum disco.

Well its fact that...

Ford truck had the worst / highest warranty claims of any year ever in 03 and 04 was 2nd highest.

The 2006 model year 6.0L engines had the lowest rate of warranty claims across the board for Ford Motor Company when compared to all of Ford's gas and diesel engines.

Just pure facts...

Just because your truck doesn't have the problems that many did doesn't make the 6.0 a good motor. If you take time to read the thread there are people with real world experience posting up about it.

Congratulations on having one of the few good ones, but I will never own a 6.0.

If you take the time to read the thread, there's just as many people saying they've had no issues.

Are we really going to start throwing rocks at each other?

The OP wanted real world experience from the people who own them. Issues with '03 and '04 model year trucks are documented and most of them were fixed under warranty and with a FICM program change.

Everyone else that's jumping in here to tell the world that their truck is better is just reading bullshit on the internet or what their granddaddy told them and regurgitating it to stir up controversy.

FWIW, every person I know that owns a Dodge with a Cummins loves the drivetrain. I know a few, since Marines love bigger and better. And they all say the same thing; "It would be so much better if it wasn't wrapped in a Dodge"

So take it for what it's worth. But don't presume to be the foremost authority on 6.0's if you "will never own" one.

You didn't even pay attention to what I have previously stated obviously, if you took my previous post as throwing rocks you need a thicker skin. This is the internet, it is text, I had no anger or any other tone in my post. I stated that I do infact have real world experience, not internet experience with them. And since you seem to be the expert I will no longer doubt you. Sorry that your emotions made you mad at me.

I have never owned one (and never will)... but a friend of mine works with one at one of his jobs. Its an 05 F450, bone stock, never had a tuner or fueling mods, etc. They pull a relatively light trailer with it, roughly 9,000 lbs fully loaded, and it had about 110,000 on it when it started having issues... It never really ran right, and the last time they used it, it started acting really bad, long story short, all of the pistons were slightly melted, and it bent 2 valves???

Like I said, not personal experience, but IMHO you should be able to tow 9,000 lbs all day and not have issues with a 1.25 ton truck.

They are pulling the 6.0 out, buying a 12 valve cummins and the Ford adapter and putting it in instead.

I personally have a 2007 king ranch with 129K now. Never had any engine work other then a FICM reprogram. it has only a 6deg split on the oil/coolant temp, and not one sign of a issue.

My only real complaint a Turbo lag that I would think with a Var vane tubro, shouldnt be as noticable.

LOVE my interior, leather, ext color scheme, back seat size and leg room, and mileage.

Back