• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 5.0 injectors

Got to keep in mind that some Ford injectors are meant to be run at 50 PSI. When put in an XJ, they will perform at less than stated value.

So on my 94 HO with an intake and header i should run the mustang 19lb orange top injectors, or the 24lb injectors? How can i tell which injectors i have on there stock? i would think i should use the 24lb injectors because i want a little more power.

19. an intake and header will not increase your fuel requirements much at all. Throwing more fuel in there will not add more power. You would need to move a larger amount of air as well. So add some displacement then add the bigger injectors.

these injectors will plug right into the stock harness?

The following is a list of the injectors used on the 4.0L since 1987 along with their rated static flow:

Model Year, ...Part #, ......Colour, .....Fuel Pressure, ...Static Flow,
'87-'90, ........53003956, ...Black, ........39psi, .................18.6lb/hr
'91-'93, ........33007127, ...Brown, .......39psi, .................21.0lb/hr
'94-'95, ........53030343, ...Tan, ...........39psi, .................21.0lb/hr
'96-'99, ........53030778, ...Grey, .........49psi, .................23.2lb/hr
'00-'01, ........04854181, ...Blue tip, .....49psi, .................22.5lb/hr

The above info was shamelessly stolen from http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/tech_specs.html

19. an intake and header will not increase your fuel requirements much at all. Throwing more fuel in there will not add more power. You would need to move a larger amount of air as well. So add some displacement then add the bigger injectors.

i've been searching and asking around with not-so-solid answers about this.

i have a 93 with a cowl intake, 63mm TB, 99+ intake, header, and hi flow exhaust. should i run the 19s or the 24s?

honestly I would run the 19's. You can always use a map adjuster to richen it up a tad if you need it. I had to tune the 24lbers Down a little for my 4.7 stroker. I eventually switched to LT1 injectors. They are supposed to be 24lbers but they are also supposed to run at a higher pressure. The result is that they are probably tuned down to about 22.5 lb an hour, which is almost ideal for the stroker. There should be an intermediate step you could go to, and hopefully someone will correct me but I think the FMS orange flow about 21lbs, either way for an ideal setup build a map adjuster, costs about 20 bucks and will let you tune them into where you need them.

You want as lean a mixture as you can get away with without pinging. Any more is a waste and does not do anything.

alrighty, an adjustable map has been on my list of things to make for a while now. i havent had a problem with pinging at all, but i do feel the stock injectors hesitate every so often when i get on it.

you cant run 19LB injectors the Injectors will be at max duty cycle. You need 24LB injectors.

if you fool the computer into reading a lean condition it will increase the dwell on the injectors. If the XJ required a 19lb injector that would not be the one they put into it, they would fit it with a bit higher injector. If it needed a 21lb injector to run they would fit it with a higher one. What I am getting at is that your injectors, while rated at 19 or 21 lb/hr, will not flow at the max rate as that does not give the computer adequate room for adjustment based on environmental conditions.

24lb injectors on a truck that cannot use the extra fuel will do the opposite. The computer only has a certain amount that it can turn down the dwell and pulse rate. You would start seeing flooding and over rich conditions since the computer cannot cycle the injectors down far enough. Without a scan gauge you are really just fine tuning guesses. I was offering my experience that 24lb injectors were too much for my stroker motor with an opened up head, free exhaust, 99+intake, and bored TB. Based on the mods of an intake and exhaust I cannot see the truck needing 24lb injectors, but if he wants to use a map adjuster and tune them down it should run great. You will see more gain from the better fuel atomization on the newer injectors.

if you fool the computer into reading a lean condition it will increase the dwell on the injectors. If the XJ required a 19lb injector that would not be the one they put into it, they would fit it with a bit higher injector. If it needed a 21lb injector to run they would fit it with a higher one. What I am getting at is that your injectors, while rated at 19 or 21 lb/hr, will not flow at the max rate as that does not give the computer adequate room for adjustment based on environmental conditions.

24lb injectors on a truck that cannot use the extra fuel will do the opposite. The computer only has a certain amount that it can turn down the dwell and pulse rate. You would start seeing flooding and over rich conditions since the computer cannot cycle the injectors down far enough. Without a scan gauge you are really just fine tuning guesses. I was offering my experience that 24lb injectors were too much for my stroker motor with an opened up head, free exhaust, 99+intake, and bored TB. Based on the mods of an intake and exhaust I cannot see the truck needing 24lb injectors, but if he wants to use a map adjuster and tune them down it should run great. You will see more gain from the better fuel atomization on the newer injectors.
i just want better atomization...and for it to run like it does with the chrysler INJ.

I would like to put a 5.0 out of a grand marquis into my XJ. Is there anyone who makes a conversion kit? Will it fit? Do I need to change the transmission,transfer case and axles?

Other than the fact that this has nothing to do with the topic of the thread...

I would recommend searching, then search some more. This gets covered a lot, and I cannot type enough to show you what has already been covered. It is a huge project. Honestly though, A chevy 350 will bolt up cleaner, neater, have more power, and it has the plus of not being a Ford product. The 5.0 ford is not that great of a motor if you are looking for a swap. There are aftermarket kits for chevy I know for sure.

Look on Novak conversions website, they have a lot of information, laid out in an easy to read format. You will need to change the transmission, and possibly the T-case. More than likely both driveshafts, all the fuel lines and probably the pump, a new radiator is a must(performance 3 core), and your gauges will need to be tweaked in order to work.

Wait a minute here. Even though this is even more off topic, I can't let anyone get away with saying that a chewey motor is better than a Ford. Henry Ford basically founded this country and GM is going bankrupt anyway. Pretty soon the only "American" car you will be able to buy will be a Ford. So........to insure future parts supply. I think Ford made the first Jeep anyway. It was called the Model T.

Back