• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For you texans who have to run front plates.

Obama is president. Thats a point... or a statement even.

What Kurt is trying to say is.... "Geor....errr.....wait..... Obama don't care about white people!!"

So, Chris, it's socially acceptable for me to come steal your XJ....Great, where's it parked again?

I'm sorry, what you described is not a society. It's a group of people living in mutual fear. It is anarchy.

I guess socially acceptable is the wrong term. But yes, if you accept that the potential consequences of stealing my XJ are prison or death (Texas law allows deadly force in defense of property) then that is the choice YOU make. Again, part of the consequences ARE social in nature...being outcast as a "thief", etc.

As for leaving in mutual fear, I think you're being a bit dramatic. I know that front license plate helps you sleep at night, but really. ;) I think I made it clear that the consequences SHOULD exist, only that I believe that if someone is willing to ACCEPT those consequences, then they are free to act as they see fit.

What I'm really trying to make a point of here is that I think the RIGHT thing to do when you disagree with a law is to work to change it, not simply ignore it. However, if you do choose to ignore it, do NOT whine about getting caught and suffering the results of your actions.

Also, regardless of anything else, all laws are NOT created equal. Ignoring a non-moving traffic law (front license plate) isn't the same as someone who chooses to steal a car or kill someone.

On a related note, has anyone ever found a good explanation for the 2-plate law in Texas? It always struck me as odd...

On a related note, has anyone ever found a good explanation for the 2-plate law in Texas? It always struck me as odd...

So the police have another reason for PC?

Actually, the majority of states require both plates. But your question is a lot like asking why does Texas require safety inspections when other states don't? Cuz lawmakers decided to say so.

Ya think? While I know thats an easy answer to give, I think it's pretty obvious that I was looking for the reasoning behind the decision. It's fine if you don't know the answer, but don't insult my intelligence by playing semantic games, please. kthxbye.

Ya think? While I know thats an easy answer to give, I think it's pretty obvious that I was looking for the reasoning behind the decision. It's fine if you don't know the answer, but don't insult my intelligence by playing semantic games, please. kthxbye.

I was not attempting to insult anyone or anything. I apologize if it came across that way.

The answer to your question would most likely require researching the legislative history and committee reports in Austin. Perhaps one of our CenTex members will have a few weeks to spend reading microfiche hehe.

Again man, not trying to be insulting about it. I do not know the specific answer, but I do know how to find it.

And just because I'm a HUGE nerd...

It appears that front plates were added in 1926.

For anyone who cares, SB561 (Jackson, M.) and HB309 (Brown, F.) are seeking to revise Sec. 502 of the Transportation Code to get rid of the front plates.

Last edited:
I was not attempting to insult anyone or anything. I apologize if it came across that way.

Apology accepted.
The answer to your question would most likely require researching the legislative history and committee reports in Austin. Perhaps one of our CenTex members will have a few weeks to spend reading microfiche hehe.

I was hoping that someone knew "through the grapevine" why it was done. I don't think anyone cares enough to research it that thoroughly, but it was possible that someone's grandmother remembered the newspaper article that ran when they made the chagne, or something of that nature. A "my dad told me it was because..." type answer. Thats all I was really looking for, not an in-depth review of the laws and statutes associated with front plates.

I don't think anyone cares enough to research it that thoroughly.....

uuuhhhhmmmm.... you're kidding right? Do you really think I'd intentionally give up a chance for me to research sound and acquire additional trivial information that will not benefit me at all...save and except to annoy others? :compwork:

uuuhhhhmmmm.... you're kidding right? Do you really think I'd intentionally give up a chance for me to research sound and acquire additional trivial information that will not benefit me at all...save and except to annoy others? :compwork:

I sometimes forget who I'm talking too...occasionally you are able to fool us into thinking you're normal...then I remember the picture of you in a dress.

:)

I don't care who you are that there is funny.

Back