• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

??? For Locker Guru's

96XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed my gears (4.56) and a No Slip locker in my 8.25 and took it for it's first test drive today. I noticed that when turning right, I would hear a loud "POP" then a quick "jerk" from the left rear wheel (outside wheel). I had heard that lockers make popping noises and they have their little quirks, so I just chalked it up to thinking that "this was the popping noise that is associated with lockers". I figured that it was the engagement/disengagement of the locker making the noise. Well, I then made a series of left hand turns (with the driver's side on the inside of the turn) and there is no noise. No popping. No jerking. No nothing. So i start making right turns again and the popping and jerking comes back. Start turning left and it is gone. I called Randy's Ring and Pinion's tech line and all they could tell me was that it must have been installed incorrectly. I figured that much but I was looking for help. That wasn't the help I was looking for. I know that I am going to have to go back in and teart the rear apart but what should I look for that could possibly cause this loud popping and jerking only when I turn right?

What was the highest speed you went up to? Were the gears whining or making noise at all? I'm assuming you had all of the proper tools, and either you have done gears before, or had someone on standby who has. I'm not really a locker "guru", but it could possibly be the shimming. Were you on or off the throttle when turning corners, and on pavement or in the dirt?

The gears have nothing to do with it,this is not a full carrier locker!Several (4 last two months) of the new Richmond units have failed.Its been with the sychro ring breaking,luckily it should only take about a half-hour to find out!

I didn't get it up to very high speed yet because it was the first run on the gears. I heard the noise as soon as I pulled out of my parking space. It did it at low speeds. (less than 5 mph) It didn't matter if I was on the gas or the brake, it always did it when the weight shifted to the left (turning right). I didn't actually do the install myself but I helped the mechanic at the shop that I work at do it. Other than the popping there was no other noise. No gear whine or anything that seemed associated with the gears themselves.

I had a similar problem after an ARB/ dutchman shaft install in my 8 1/4, took me awhile to learn that the "hub" at the end-center of the shaft was just a few thousands too big. The wheel appeared to fully seat, but it was not, just held tight by the lugs. No visible play, just a loud "bang"- first time it happened, I thought I had broken a new shaft......

Discovered what the problem was when I had to use a BFH to knock the wheels off of the axle to rotate the tires... HTH

It could also be the axle end play,particularly w/ C-clip axles it will make a large bang when it shifts!I hear mine do that when I go off-camber!

The only thing I would do at this point, is do final installation checks for the lock-rite install. You can check the gap, to make sure that is OK. The manual will have that measurement, and do the spin the wheel backward test, so you can hear the clicking.

I would think, if the gap is small there may be a problem.

I guess I will just open it up and inpsect for damage. I think the gears are good. I think the problem is the locker install. I just keep going over it and over it in my head to try to remember if anything was done incorrectly. I read the install manual several times and couldn't jar anything from my memory. I guess I will find out when I open it up.

Back